[comp.sys.mac] VersaTerm 3.2

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/04/88)

In article <6445@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> dfs059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov writes:
>I have tried a number of terminal emulators, and the only one I have
>been happy with is VersaTerm, by Lonnie Abelbeck.  It supports the
>pass-thru you mentioned, is the most faithful vt100 emulator I have
>seen, and best of all, is very well supported.  Each new version that
>comes our way seems to have every feature we were hoping would get
>added.  I spend 8 hours a day in VersaTerm (ah, the wonders of
>multi-finder and multiple monitors!), and am extremely happy with it.

Ditto on everything above.  I just got Rev. 3.2, and the two complaints I
had with it have been corrected -- Auto-Redial now recognizes BUSY and other
Hayes modem responses, and it runs in the background, which means I can set
my Mac to Attack Modem status and go write Mother's Day letters in Word.

3.2 also has improved MultiFinder capability; Y-Modem; a ton of Kermit
parameters; a flag for making the program go local temporarily; Remote file
transfer (haven't read up on this, but it seems that if you have a Mac
running unattended with VersaTerm 3.2 and a modem set up for auto answer,
you can call up from another Mac and do file transfer using this.  Looks
boss.); default save folders (instead of volumes); option of express
file-transfer (no CRC checks); vt100 fonts; auto-zoom in MultiFinder
(anytime you put VT in the background, it automatically zooms into a tiny
window near the trash can.  Move it to the foreground, and it resumes it's
normal size).

And probably some stuff I've forgotten.  I use it about four hours a day,
and it is the single most useful (and most-used) program I've got for the
Mac.

                        "In the handbook, it says that most people ignore
                         the strange and unusual; while I myself *am*...
                         strange and unusual."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

jts@demon.siemens-rtl (Jim Sasaki) (05/05/88)

In article <3645@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

> (Versaterm 3.2 also has) auto-zoom in MultiFinder (anytime you put VT in the
> background, it automatically zooms into a tiny window near the trash can.
> Move it to the foreground, and it resumes its normal size).

VT also auto-zooms the window when it's doing file transfers, which I really
like.  Also, you can tell VT *not* to auto-zoom, which is useful if you're
working on a big screen.

The only time I don't use VersaTerm is when I use UW (so that I can multiplex
different sessions on my one terminal line).

    -- Jim Sasaki (jts%siemens.com@princeton.edu)
--------------------
Any opinions above are my own and not necessarily those of Siemens RTL, for
whom I consult.

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (05/06/88)

Jeff Meyer writes:

 > 3.2 also has [...] Remote file transfer (haven't read up on this, but it
 > seems that if you have a Mac running unattended with VersaTerm 3.2 and a
 > modem set up for auto answer, you can call up from another Mac and do
 > file transfer using this.

This is also potentially very dangerous!  I've just been reading the specs,
and it turns out _anybody_ can dial into your Mac, and download just about
everything on your (hard) disks.  VersaTerm does NOT prompt you for a pass-
word, and you can even use wildcards when downloading.  Since you can type
any pathname, the remote volume is up for grabs.

You can turn off this option by unchecking the 'Enable Remote File Access'
option in the everexpanding Extras dialog, but hear this: by default (right
out of the box) this option is ENABLED...

OK ok, dialing in still requires a modem connected in auto answer mode, but
this is still leaving the back door wide open.  I recommend everybody turning
this option OFF now, including Lonnie Abelbeck if he is listening.

One last thing: the caller can also upload.  I haven't checked yet if that
lets people overwrite any file on your remotely accessible volume.  It would
be the most silent way to install a virus :)

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                  University of Leiden
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                   University of Amsterdam
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet                     The Netherlands