[comp.sys.mac] Flex - the screen blanker

tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (05/06/88)

Another thing the FLEX does not do, that screen savers
like Moire and Autoblack do, is let things continue running
while it's blanked.  This IS A MUST.  Flex does have a
background switch, but this still does not let things like
downloads continue when the screen saver cuts in.  A screen
saver is simply not usable until it allows this.

Also, try running the Apple's DA "Find File", starting a search for
things you know you have, and then immediately blanking the
screen - It doesn't quite work right, does it?

: Tom Carstensen         Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM      :
: Mentor Graphics                Delphi: CARSTENSEN          :
:                                GEnie:  CARSTENSEN          :
:                                                            :
:     . . . This is Edison Carter coming to you very much    :
:           live and direct from Network 23 . . .            :
:                                       - Edison Carter      :

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (05/06/88)

In article <1988May5.112507.119@mntgfx.mentor.com> tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>Also, try running the Apple's DA "Find File", starting a search for
>things you know you have, and then immediately blanking the
>screen [using Flex] - It doesn't quite work right, does it?

I haven't tried this, as the office Macs have AutoIdle and I only have
Flex at home, but I suspect I know what you're referring to.

After drawing into the desktop port, Flex doesn't restore the previous
port or drawing conditions.  For example, I started FEdit 1.1 on a
long search of my disk.  Flex cut in, then out again when I moved the
mouse to the "never sleep" rectangle.  At the end of the search, FEdit
drew the new sector information into the desktop port using 12 point
Chicago, instead of into its own window in 9 point Monaco.  Oops!

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"