[comp.sys.mac] DataDesk Mac-101 Keyboard for the Mac Plus

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (04/21/88)

Just ordered one of the Datadesk Mac-101 extended keyboards for the Mac
Plus.  However, there's one thing I noticed about the Mac-101 that Datadesk
confirmed when I called them: the keyboard isn't enabled until the system
file is loaded (at least on the non-ADB model).  Thus, hitting the shift key
so that Font/DA Juggler won't load, or the Cmd key so that the machine comes
up in Finder Mode when startup is set to MultiFinder mode, doesn't work.

My question: a)  anyone know if there is a workaround on this?  b)  Anyone
know if Datadesk will/can fix this bug?

Thanks....

                          "According to my instruments -- they're preparing
                           to jump into hyper-space... or go to warp
                           drive... or something like that."
--
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM

kaufman@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/21/88)

I looked at the Mac-101 Keyboard for possible A/UX use.  Forget it.  It has
only one (1) 'control' key, and that one placed akwardly on the right.

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/21/88)

>Just ordered one of the Datadesk Mac-101 extended keyboards for the Mac
>Plus.  However, there's one thing I noticed about the Mac-101 that Datadesk
>confirmed when I called them: the keyboard isn't enabled until the system
>file is loaded (at least on the non-ADB model).  Thus, hitting the shift key
>so that Font/DA Juggler won't load, or the Cmd key so that the machine comes
>up in Finder Mode when startup is set to MultiFinder mode, doesn't work.

>My question: a)  anyone know if there is a workaround on this?  b)  Anyone
>know if Datadesk will/can fix this bug?

All you need to do is wait until the smiling mac comes up and hitting the
shift key works fine. At least it does on mine.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                                                Welcome to the Latrine Wall!
                               What do you want to do, number 1 or number 2?

ray@cup.portal.com (04/29/88)

Re: Moriarty's comments:
>Just ordered one of the Datadesk Mac-101 extended keyboards for the Mac
>Plus.  However, there's one thing I noticed about the Mac-101 that Datadesk
>confirmed when I called them: the keyboard isn't enabled until the system
>file is loaded (at least on the non-ADB model).  Thus, hitting the shift key
>so that Font/DA Juggler won't load, or the Cmd key so that the machine comes
>up in Finder Mode when startup is set to MultiFinder mode, doesn't work.

I haven't had any problems disabling Font/DA Juggler by holding down the shift
key at bootup, and I don't think I've had any problem disabling MF. Maybe
I have a magic Datadesk keyboard? It is the non-ADB model.

Ray Davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson
UUCP : ...sun!cup.portal.com!ray
Snail Mail:
22422 Walnut Circle South, #A
Cupertino CA 95014

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/07/88)

In article <4906@cup.portal.com> ray@cup.portal.com writes:
>Re: Moriarty's comments:
>However, there's one thing I noticed about the Mac-101 that Datadesk
>>confirmed when I called them: the keyboard isn't enabled until the system
>>file is loaded (at least on the non-ADB model).  Thus, hitting the shift key
>>so that Font/DA Juggler won't load, or the Cmd key so that the machine comes
>>up in Finder Mode when startup is set to MultiFinder mode, doesn't work.
>I haven't had any problems disabling Font/DA Juggler by holding down the shift
>key at bootup, and I don't think I've had any problem disabling MF. Maybe
>I have a magic Datadesk keyboard? It is the non-ADB model.

I think it's a bit more specific: at reboot time, I immediately held down
the shift and/or control key after giving the reboot command.  The Mac,
during start-up, didn't recognize the key.

However, if I waited until the startup screen appeared to hold down the key,
no problemo.  Perhaps the non-ADB Mac 101 keyboard only recognizes
keystrikes after the official startup begins?

Anyway, it works, and I must say that the Mac 101 keyboard is a dream to use
for moderately good typists like myself.  I'm just breezing along -- wish I
had one for my Sun 3/50 at work!

                        "Spontaneous combustion!  What a stroke of luck!"
---