[comp.sys.mac] Advise on Jasmine Drives

rg2c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Nelson Gasch) (03/13/88)

I'm planning to get a hard disk soon for my Mac SE. After looking through
magazines for a while, I came across drives called Jasmine. The question is:
They seem reliable, especially given their prive. Does anybody out there have
any experiences with them they they would be willing to shere with me?
        Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
                Thanx alot ---> Rob

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/14/88)

>I'm planning to get a hard disk soon for my Mac SE. After looking through
>magazines for a while, I came across drives called Jasmine. The question is:
>They seem reliable, especially given their prive. Does anybody out there have
>any experiences with them they they would be willing to shere with me?

I own two. I've had no problems. They're fast. Reliable. Reliable. The
Jasmine folks have been joys to work with (unlike many manufacturers or
software companies). The first one I bought was delayed due to a
manufacturing problem at one of their vendors. The offered to swap my order
with another style (I'd ordered beige, they had platinum in stock). They not
only did that and shipped that same day, they shipped the thing Fed-Ex, so I
got it the next day. And charged me standard shipping, eating the
difference.

That's responsiveness. And all too rare. I'm a BIG Jasmine fan.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                               Speed it up. Keep it Simple. Ship it on time.
                                                            -- Bill Atkinson

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/03/88)

I own two of the Jasmine 20 megabyte drives and have no complaints what
so ever.  Several of my friends have also purchased the drives and they
also seem to be very happy.

David O'Rourke

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP
--
David M. O'Rourke

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/03/88)

	I know of about 8 Jasmine-20s (and one 50) at PHRI and havn't heard
a single wimper of complaint from anybody who has one (two of them are
mine).  Some of the Jasmines have been in use for over a year.  We have
noticed that the Jasmines do vary in how much clickity-chirpity noise they
make; presumably Jasmine buys different drives at different times.
Installation couldn't be easier (just plug in and turn on) and of course
they do come with 10 Mbytes or so of free/shareware (granted, 95% of it is
worthless to us, but free is free, and I'm sure all of it is useful to
somebody).

	When we bought a Radius Accelerator for one of our Mac-Pluses, we
were surprised to find that Radius had a list of disk drives which were
acceptable to use (something to do with interveaving and timing problems).
Neither the Jasmine nor the Rodime was on the list, so I called Radius.
They said they use Jasmines in-house and suggested I use that instead of
the Rodime I had just bought.  I ended up not taking their advice, but
reformatting the Rodime using Apple's disk formatter and it's worked fine
since then.

	Our most recent disk purchase was two Rodime-20s (I was talked into
it) which we are not as happy with.  The Rodimes come in a bigger box and
seem to be slower (note the vague, unscientific, off-the-cuff comparison).
One Rodime was kept near a window where it got lots of sun and seemed not
to work properly when it got hot (to be fair, we never tried baking a
Jasmine, so for all I know the Jasmines may fail in the window as well).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

getchell@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (David Getchell) (05/05/88)

In article <2187@polyslo.UUCP> dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes:
>I own two of the Jasmine 20 megabyte drives and have no complaints what
>so ever.  Several of my friends have also purchased the drives and they
>also seem to be very happy.

-- Flame on --

Great!  I have heard rave reviews about Jasmine, so I ordered an Innerdrive
50/II (internal drive for Mac II) from them.  I sent the order by certified
mail on March 23.  They received it March 26.  I have called them every week
since to check on the status of my order.  (At my expense, of course, since
they have no 800 number.)  Each time, after duly being played musak on hold,
they took my name and number and said, "We will have someone call you back."
Yesterday, however, I complained enough and was actually permitted to talk to
someone.  I was not in the computer.  No record of my order could be found.
FUNNY THING, SINCE MY BANK SAID THAT CASHIER'S CHECK HAD BEEN DEPOSITED
ALREADY!!!  They shouldn't even have had to wait for the check to clear, since
it was a cashier's check.  I was told, "Maybe the receptionist lost it..."

Jasmine, if you're out there, your customer service S*CKS!  This is ridiculous!
I am so tired of limping along with one floppy drive in my MacII that I could
SCREAM.  Almost makes me wish that I had bought a lessor drive for more money
direct from Apple.  Then at least I would have more than a growing phone bill.

-- Flame off --

Maybe it's easier to order from Jasmine by phone with a credit card.  That's
what I would have done, except that I don't have any plastic :^(

If anyone from Jasmine reads this, I am

David Getchell
3660 E 3rd Street # C5
Tucson, AZ 85716
(602)-881-6780

And no, I don't have an order number since I ordered by mail.

My appologies to the rest of NetLand for my ramblings.  I am too frustrated
not to speak up.

--
Sorry, no .signature yet. :-(

David Getchell

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/05/88)

	getchell@obsidian.ma.arizona.edu.UUCP (David Getchell) writes a
horror story about Jasmine cashing his check and then loosing any record of
ever having received his order.

	Have other people had experiences like this with Jasmine?  My guess
is that it's the exception rather than the rule.  In all our dealings with
Jasmine, our only unexpected problem was when they kept reneging on
delivery dates for a 40 Mbyte drive.  After a couple of weeks, they offered
to ship a 50 instead at the same price (an offer which we gladly accepted).
They even FedEx'ed the 50 for no extra charge.
--

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/06/88)

>	getchell@obsidian.ma.arizona.edu.UUCP (David Getchell) writes a
>horror story about Jasmine cashing his check and then loosing any record of
>ever having received his order.

>	Have other people had experiences like this with Jasmine?  My guess
>is that it's the exception rather than the rule.

It definitely seems to be. My first Jasmine (I own two) got backordered
because of a manufacturing problem at one of their vendors, so it missed
their confirmed ship date to me. When I called to see what was going on,
they let me swap out to another model at no charge, and promised to ship
that day. They did -- upgrading the shipping to express overnight at no
charge. The second disk I bought went through without any hitch at all.

I've rarely heard of problems with Jasmine. The few people who did got taken
care of. They may not be perfect, but they've been good enough to me and the
people I know that anytime I need to buy a disk, I'm buying it from them.

There may be cheaper disks (but Jasmines aren't bad, either) but I know that
if I ever have a problem, Jasmine will back me up.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

       I come to preach to a religion that doesn't exist. It has no members.
          It has no clergy.  It has no doctrine. It has no collection plate.

flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (05/06/88)

In article <3255@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I know of about 8 Jasmine-20s (and one 50) at PHRI and havn't heard
>a single wimper of complaint from anybody who has one (two of them are

My mother and I each bought a Jasmine 20.  Hers has never given a moment's
problem; mine worked for a day and died; the replacement died too, this may
have been my fault (I suspect UK Customs drop-kicked it a bit.)
Jasmine were quite helpful througout.

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (05/07/88)

I, also have had some bad vibes from Jasmine. I have two Jasmine 20s (one for
me and one for my BBS), and both have some kind of hardware problem. The one
running the BBS has died once, and when sent back to Jasmine, it came back ok.
But now, the drive will NOT boot, no matter what, if it is physically cold.
Don't ask me why, but I have switched cables, Macs, and power outlets. It
doesn't help. So, this is no big problem, as the BBS is 24 hours a day (if I
might get in a quick plug, the number is 217-344-7458, 1200 baud, on RRH).

The other disk, which I use on a regular basis, has a funny problem. Sometimes,
the drive just freezes up. The drive access light stays on, and the Mac bombs
or hangs. The only solution is powering the drive down, and back up again. This
can be annoying, especially when saving a big file. It happens only rarely
(maybe once a month, tops). BUT, when I use any parking utility, the drive
freezes, exhibiting the same symptoms described above. This makes me somewhat
nervous about transporting it (with no backup!).

So, in conclusion, I would not buy a Jasmine 20. At the time (> 1 year ago)
they were the cheapest around (~$560). But now they are not so cheap, and I
think, not as reliable as others. However, I have heard nothing but good
reviews on the Jasmine 80.

Robert Brewer
    brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu
    {ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!brewer