[comp.sys.mac] HELP!! -- MAC NO LONGER RECOGNIZES FLOPPY DRIVES!!

cohen@dasys1.UUCP (David Cohen) (05/03/88)

Recently my sister called to tell me that her mac 512KE wasn't accepting
any disks of hers. She tried the external drive on another machine
and it worked as did the disks. All this lead me to suspect a
hardware problem. I checked AppleLink's service database and found that
there are 2 things to do at this point--one is to replace a chip in position
d8, the disk controller apparently and if that doesn't work, to swap the
logic board. I was hoping to attempt a repair with my partner who is
fairly expert at reparing IBM PC's and clones. I would like to know if we
will be able to do this easily --can we swap out the chip in d8 from the
mac plus or SE or do we need a 512KE specifically? Is the chip identified
on the board or do we need some sort of documntation which we don't have?
Can we avoid the shocker on the video board or will this be a dangerous sort of
undertaking ? Can the case be opened with just the torx screwdriver and some
perseverance and ingenuity? Are their other considerations here (warranty
aside,
since there is none anymore).

Thanks in advance for the technical support.

__
DC

P.S. The symptoms which I neglected to list above are the way the disks are ejected and the disk-with-an-x-in-it is displayed in both drives. Thanks again.

--
David Cohen					{uunet}!mstan\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!cohen

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (05/07/88)

In article <4239@dasys1.UUCP> cohen@dasys1.UUCP (David Cohen) writes:
>Recently my sister called to tell me that her mac 512KE wasn't accepting
>any disks of hers. She tried the external drive on another machine
>and it worked as did the disks. All this lead me to suspect a
>hardware problem. I checked AppleLink's service database and found that
>there are 2 things to do at this point--one is to replace a chip in position
>d8, the disk controller apparently and if that doesn't work, to swap the
>logic board.

Keep in mind, is could also be a disk drive problem.
I had a similar problem and the drive was replaced and it is a happy
mac now.

-Andy

Just say Wafna!
Andy J. Williams '90     |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|  _   /|
Kiewit Computation Center|Hello. My $NAME is ~inigo_montoya.    |    ( )  /
Dartmouth College        |You killed my process.  Prepare to vi.|     U