[comp.sys.mac] TeXtures from Addison Wesley

sce@runx.ips.oz (Simon Evans) (05/04/88)

I am looking for anyone using TeXtures from Addison Wesley.

There was mention here in comp.sys.mac of a release fixing
the problems 1.0 had with printing to the LaserWriter with
LaserWriter 5.0 drivers. Of course, AW here in Australia knew
of no such release when I asked them, and I wrote to AW in the
USA to find out how to get this new version. I have not heard
back from them so I am looking for two things -

1. Confirmation of the existence of a new version of TeXtures
that works with LaserWriter 5.0, and

2. The name of someone in AW, USA, to whom it would be best
to send a letter asking about how to go about getting the new
version.

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

By the way, is anyone using the LaTeX from AW for TeXtures
advertised in the second latest TUGBoat? What version of LaTeX is it?
What manuals, documentation etc is provided? What .sty files
are provided? Is the LaTeX source provided?

Finally, can anyone give any pointers as to how to go about getting the
TeX distribution (or at least LaTeX and the LaTeX style
collection) on Mac media? TUGboat lists methods for getting it
on IBM floppies or 9 track tape, but I have neither :-(.

Thanks in advance for any help at all on any of these queries,

Simon Evans.
JAM Software, 27a Nowranie Street, Summer Hill, 2130 NSW, Australia.
+612 799 1888.

khayo@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Eric Behr) (05/08/88)

Regarding a new vsn. of TeXtures - yes, there is 1.01 available;
I don't know if this is the one that fixes the LW-printing bug.

The address is
 	Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Inc.
	6 Jacob Way
	Reading, MA 01867

I don't remember the name of a fellow whom I talked to a while
ago. I'm about to call them with an unrelated question - will ask
about the availability of 1.01 down under.

By the way, has anyone used \special{postscriptfile foo} in TeXtures?
A rather trivial PostScript picture works fine with VAX TeX, but throws
TeXtures off the track - lines following the picture are superimposed
(a dark black mess); next page is OK. Any clues ? Thanks in advance.
                                                       Eric

In article I wrote:
 >By the way, has anyone used \special{postscriptfile foo} in TeXtures?
 >A rather trivial PostScript picture works fine with VAX TeX, but throws
 >TeXtures off the track - lines following the picture are superimposed
 >(a dark black mess); next page is OK. Any clues ? Thanks in advance.
I ran some tests, and I'm sorry for asking a question that was easy to
answer. In case there are other people who want to use PostScript, I'll
share the outcome: in some PostScript macros I had variables called,
oddly enough, x, y etc. Miraculously, when x was changed to, say, xx, the
problem went away. It also disappeared when the variables were put in a
local dictionary. It seems that the PostScript commands in TeXtures affect
TeX storage area, due to the integration (TeXtures probably skips the
dvi phase altogether; that's why the problem didn't surface on the VAX,
where PostScript gets included by dvi2ps and is therefore isolated from
the TeX environment). I hope *someone* will be spared hours of frustration.

                                                       Eric