[comp.sys.mac] USENET on a Mac?

rdomes@zaphod.UUCP (Ronald J. Domes) (05/03/88)

I am considering setting up a Mac to run USENET. Are there any packages
that will allow me to do this. What I would like to know is how do those
people who have their own Mac site access and/or use USENET. Any
assistance will be appreciated.

					Thanks
					 Ronald James Domes
					 Develcon Electronics Ltd.

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/05/88)

>I am considering setting up a Mac to run USENET. Are there any packages
>that will allow me to do this. What I would like to know is how do those
>people who have their own Mac site access and/or use USENET. Any
>assistance will be appreciated.

There's one package I know of. It's called A/UX.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

       I come to preach to a religion that doesn't exist. It has no members.
          It has no clergy.  It has no doctrine. It has no collection plate.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/07/88)

In article <2370@zaphod.UUCP> rdomes@zaphod.UUCP (Ronald J. Domes) writes:
>I am considering setting up a Mac to run USENET. Are there any packages
>that will allow me to do this. What I would like to know is how do those
>people who have their own Mac site access and/or use USENET. Any
>assistance will be appreciated.

   There is supposedly a mac version of uucp called uupc, but I have never
been able to get ahold of it. This would probably be a first step in getting
access to usenet. If you find a working copy send it to me.
  Pierce Wetter
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (05/09/88)

In article <6437@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
>In article <2370@zaphod.UUCP> rdomes@zaphod.UUCP (Ronald J. Domes) writes:
>>I am considering setting up a Mac to run USENET. Are there any packages
>>that will allow me to do this. What I would like to know is how do those
>   There is supposedly a mac version of uucp called uupc, but I have never
>been able to get ahold of it. This would probably be a first step in getting
  Hmm... I've seen queries like this ("How do I run Usenet on my xxx?") in two
other newsgroups in the past month.  Evidently there are quite a few people
out there who want to run Usenet on their machines.
  Anyway, although I'm not intimately familiar with uupc, I am quite familiar
with its ancestor, DCP, so I think I can talk about it without making too
much of an idiot of myself.  BTW, if you have FTP access, uupc can
be obtained by anonymous FTP from uunet.uu.net.
  Brief lecture on uucp/usenet technology: On real Unix systems, uucico is
the program that does the dialin to the other machine and handles the
communication protocols.  Uuxqt is the program that does execution of commands
sent from the remote site to yours (almost always either the "rnews" command
or "rmail").  Rmail is the command, executed by uuxqt, that reads in mail
messages destined for your site and puts them in your mailbox.  Netnews
is sent between machines in "compressed batches", i.e. files put together out
of multiple articles and then compressed.  The receiving machine is made
(via uuxqt) to execute the command "rnews" on the incoming batch, which
uncompresses the articles, breaks up the batch, and sticks the articles in
the various newsgroup directories.
  Uupc consists of clones of uucico,uuxqt,rmail, and also contains a program
to send mail to other sites, but there is no rnews or equivalent.  So you see
that with uupc, you can set up your Mac (or whatever) to receive and send
mail, but you can't really handle news very well.  If you're willing to
put up with a fairly crude news interface, you can hack together your
own "rnews" to just uncompress the batch and invoke whatever Mac users use
instead of less(1) to read the articles.  This is admittedly crude, since
the articles in batches are not sorted by newsgroup and all the conveniences
you get even with the most primitive Unix newsreaders are lacking, but it
does work; a friend of mine does it on his PC.  You will need a version
of compress that runs on your Mac, but compress shouldn't be too hard to
port.
  You could try porting the actual Usenet software to the Mac.  The software
is freely available from many places, and theoretically you could set up
Usenet software to run on your Mac on top of uupc just as the real thing
runs on top of uucp.  The problem is that Usenet software relies heavily
on Unix features like fork(2), pipe(2), and link(2), which I don't think
have any Mac OS equivalents.  The port won't be easy, but it should be
at least possible with a few months work.
  Of course, if you can afford it, buying a Mac II with A/UX is the best
solution of all; not only can you easily run Usenet on it, but you get a
real Unix system to play with besides.  If only it wasn't quite so expensive...
--
Richard Todd		Dubious Domain: rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069 	Fido:1:147/1