[comp.sys.mac] Two MS-WORD Printing Questions

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/03/88)

I have a couple of questions about MS-WORD and printing:

1. Back in the "old days" when I was using Word 1.0, I used a trick
that allowed me to format a document for the laserwriter and print
it on an imagewriter without the document's margins being changed.
That is, Word would not scale the ruler and make lines "longer".
All I had to do was simply select the imagewriter with Chooser and
print the document. Word would not reformat the text to reflect the
imagewriter's "wider" margins. When Word 3.0 came out, this "feature"
was lost. Now when you switch printers, Word automatically reformats
things as necessary to reflect the printer's characteristics. In many
instances I like this. However, if you are creating a document that is
to be ultimately printed on a laserwriter but you want to print draft
copies an imagewriter, it would be nice if you could make Word leave
the ruler (and subsequently the page breaks) alone, allowing you to
print the document on an imagewriter looking, more or less, the way
it will look when it is printed on a LaserWriter.

The real problem we're having here is students will write their thesis
or report or whatever in the Mac lab, printing draft copies on the
imagewriter, as well as editing their document with imagewriter selected.
We've warned students that they should always edit with laserwriter
selected if they intent to print the final copy on the laserwriter, but
there is always a large number who ignore the warnings. They end up
printing their "finished" document on the laserwriter, and then complaining
that the "formatting is all wrong." And even if they do read our warnings
about having to edit with the laserwriter selected, when they print
draft copies on the imagewriter, the formatting is incorrect this way
as well. Its not as important since draft copies are usually for
proofreading, but if would also be nice if students could eyeball their
reports' formatting on imagewriter output.

My question, finally, is this: Is there a way to make Word not scale its
ruler when changing from LaserWriter to ImageWriter (or vice versa for
that matter). A solution to this problem would really be useful in our
environment, and I imagine other universities must be experiencing the
same problems if they have Mac labs used for documentation. I would be
eager to hear from other people who have experienced this problem.

2. And now question 2. A department here has been using MacWrite to print
labels but wants to switch to Word. The labels they have to print are
very tiny but need three lines of text. Consequently, they have to use
7 point Geneva to fit what they want on one label. Since 7 point Geneva
is really to small too edit in for any amount of text, they are using
14 point Geneva and print with the imagewriter's 50% reduction option.
The results are perfect.

Word also has this reduction option (accessed using shift-Page Setup).
It even automatically scales the paper size when you select it. However,
when you print, it *does not scale the fonts*, only the margins. So
text is clipped off on all four margins, and of course, its in 14 point,
not the required 7 point. Is this a bug in Word or is
this the way its supposed to work? Is there a work around? Is it fixed
in 3.02? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/03/88)

in article <1066@aucs.UUCP>, I say:

> Word also has this reduction option (accessed using shift-Page Setup).
> It even automatically scales the paper size when you select it. However,
> when you print, it *does not scale the fonts*, only the margins. So
> text is clipped off on all four margins, and of course, its in 14 point,
> not the required 7 point. Is this a bug in Word or is
> this the way its supposed to work? Is there a work around? Is it fixed
> in 3.02? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I posting a follow-up to my own question just to mention that page preview
does seem to do the reduction properly. It is only when the
printing takes place that things mess up. Consequently, I
would deem this is indeed a bug, not a "feature".

--

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (05/04/88)

:
:1. Back in the "old days" when I was using Word 1.0, I used a trick
:that allowed me to format a document for the laserwriter and print
:it on an imagewriter without the document's margins being changed.
: . . .
:My question, finally, is this: Is there a way to make Word not scale its
:ruler when changing from LaserWriter to ImageWriter (or vice versa for
:that matter).

Set "Tall Adusted" in Word's "normal" Print dialog.  This imagewriter
setting will set the page dimensions to match the laserwriter
settings.  This does have to be done for each document.  For this to
take effect, you must "Print", set "Tall Adjusted", and click OK; then
immediately "Cancel" when the next dialog pops up (unless you want a
printed copy then).  Foo.

I have no suggestions for the 50% reduction; I can't make it work
(maybe I should check the manual :-)).

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  50 Moulton Street
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02238

coffee@aero.ARPA (Peter C. Coffee) (05/06/88)

In article <24180@bbn.COM> levin@powell.BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>Set "Tall Adusted" in Word's "normal" Print dialog...
>...For this to
>take effect, you must "Print", set "Tall Adjusted", and click OK; then
>immediately "Cancel" when the next dialog pops up (unless you want a
>printed copy then).  Foo.

The same holds for "Fractional Widths," and *beware*: though this makes,
for example, boldface printing look *much* better, it *often* changes line
(and sometimes even page) breaks so that what prints is noticeably different
from the last thing you saw on the screen.  I believe, based on several
tests, that centered things have their left end positioned without regard
for fractional widths -- as a result, they often come out noticeably left
of center.

WYSIWYG. Hah. -- Peter C.

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (05/10/88)

In article <1066@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>2. And now question 2. A department here has been using MacWrite to print
>labels but wants to switch to Word.  ...
>It even automatically scales the paper size when you select it. However,
>when you print, it *does not scale the fonts*, only the margins. So
>text is clipped off on all four margins, and of course, its in 14 point,
>not the required 7 point. Is this a bug in Word or is
>this the way its supposed to work? Is there a work around? Is it fixed
>in 3.02? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had numerous problems trying to get mailing labels to work as
described in the manual.  When I'd do page preview, they would all be
on one page.  When I'd try to print (image or laser writer), each one
would be on its own page (as a consquence of the hack they performed
to use print-merge, designed for form letters, to print out only one
form of many addresses, instead of many forms, each one a little bit
different).

What I finally did is a two stage process: 1) compose the database
into mailing lables, and then 2) format the list of mail addresses
into mailing labels.  Word's approach (given in the manual) combines
the two steps into one (and didn't work for me).  To first format the
mail labels into one single column list of addresses, choose the word
option that lets you preview the labels (I forget what it is called,
but in the print-merge dialog box it is the undefault one, called
something like make document).  Then you end up with a document you
can preview and browse through.  Guess what -- you can also format and
print that document.  So the next step is to use page-setup to make
the page size be what I want to, select the whole document to set size
and font I want in the final result, etc etc., set the format to be
multiple columns in the standard way, and then print THAT one.  That
seems to work but the only thing to be careful of is to make sure each
label has the same number of lines, so that each column lines up
correctly.  I find it easier to do that way than to mess with their
hack of declaring each page to be 1.1 inches high.

Margot Flowers   Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers