[comp.sys.mac] Laserwriter Message

bills@cca.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse) (05/09/88)

I am using System Release 5.0 and sometimes receive the following message
while printing to a Laserwriter Plus. I have seen it from several applications,
but usually Word 3.01.

A screen (bitmap) version of the font Geneva is being created for the printer
since the printer font is not available.

Why do I get this only sometimes and what does it mean? How do I stop it
from happening?

Bill Stackhouse
bills@cca.cca.com
--
Bill Stackhouse
Cambridge, MA.

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/10/88)

In article <27753@cca.CCA.COM> bills@cca.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse) writes:
>A screen (bitmap) version of the font Geneva is being created for the printer
>since the printer font is not available.

  The LaserWriter doesn't use the same fonts as the ImageWriter.  If you use
a non-LaserWriter font the Macintosh has to draw the font for the
LaserWriter.  The message that you are receiving means that the LaserWriter
has told the Macintosh that it will have to draw the font since the LaserWriter
doesn't know Geneva.  A good rule of thumb is if the Font is named after a
city it is NOT a LaserWriter Font.

>Why do I get this only sometimes and what does it mean? How do I stop it
>from happening?

  There is an option in the Page Setup of most Applications that allow you
to tell the LaserWriter to "substitute" fonts.  if this is on the LaserWriter
will pick a LaserWriter font for you, if it is off then the LaserWriter will
request that the Macintosh generate the font image.
  If you have font substitution on the LaserWriter will make a best
approximation.  It is better to use a LaserWriter font to begin with so that
the Application you are running will show you how it will look on the paper.
Below is a partial list of how the LaserWriter substitutes fonts.
   Geneva ----> Helvetica
   New York ----> Times
   Monaco ----> Courier

   I think this is right, perhaps the rest of netland can help me out if I'm
wrong.  But I hope this helps!

David M. O'Rourke

| dorourke@polyslo | Disclaimer:  All opinions in this message are mine, but  |
|                  |              if you like them they can be yours too.     |
|                  |              Besides I'm just a student so what do I     |
|                  |              know!                                       |
|    When you have to place a disclaimer in your mail you know it's a sign    |
| that there are TOO many Lawyer's.                                           |

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (05/10/88)

In article <27753@cca.CCA.COM> bills@cca.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse) writes:
]I am using System Release 5.0 and sometimes receive the following message
]...
]A screen (bitmap) version of the font Geneva is being created for the printer
]since the printer font is not available.
]...
]Bill Stackhouse

We have found we get this message from word processors that assume a header
and/or footer (Macwrite for instance). The default font is usually Geneva or
New York. Even though you have not put any text in the area the font is changed
so a return can be entered. You can speed things up a lot by opening the
headers and footers in any word processor document and making the font the
same as that in the body.

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology             Bitnet: psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo          Unix  : psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu