[comp.sys.mac] multifinder w/1 Meg

jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Joe C. Kwan) (05/03/88)

I think I read on this newsnet some time ago that there exists a prog which
will allow the user to run multiple applications using multi-finder with
the added goodie that Finder doesn't have to be running as one of these
applications...

Does anyone remember the prog I'm referring to?  Does anyone have it?

It would do wonders for someone like me... someone who wants to run 2
applications with only 1 meg of memory... (that is, 2 applications
neither of which happens to be Finder)

					Joe

getchell@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (David Getchell) (05/05/88)

In article <2941@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
                                       (Joe C. Kwan) writes:

>I think I read on this newsnet some time ago that there exists a prog which
>will allow the user to run multiple applications using multi-finder with
>the added goodie that Finder doesn't have to be running as one of these
>applications...

I think that the program that you want in Andy Hertzfield's SWITCHER.  It
will allow you to run multiple programs without the finder.  It doesn't
do background printing or multitasking, however.  I believe that it is PD,
and if so, I will e-mail you a copy in a day or two.  It's at home. :^)

I also vaugely remember hearing about a way to coax MultiFinder to run without
the finder, but I am not sure.  Switcher is smaller, anyway and will leave
more of your 1 meg available for applications.

Sorry, I don't know how to use a .signature file yet :-(

David Getchell

jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Joe C. Kwan) (05/05/88)

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you who replyed to my mesg
concerning running Multi-Finder w/out having Finder take up 160K
of the available memory...

I've received several replys... all of which are good sol'n... but
the ones that hit the bullseye were those of you who mentioned a
public domain program called "Multi_Launch"... it will allow you to
run multi_finder w/out finder... you do, however, have to run
Multi_Launch... but since Multi_Launch is a smaller prog, you end up
saving some memory for other applications...

If anyone is interested, I can forward the prog to them...

Thanks to everyone who replyed, especially to those who included
the prog with their reply.

Joe

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (05/06/88)

In article <618@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> getchell@obsidian.ma.arizona.edu.UUCP (David Getchell) writes:
>In article <2941@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
>                                       (Joe C. Kwan) writes:
>>
>>I think I read on this newsnet some time ago that there exists a prog which
>>will allow the user to run multiple applications using multi-finder with
>>the added goodie that Finder doesn't have to be running as one of these
>>applications...
>>
>I think that the program that you want in Andy Hertzfield's SWITCHER.  It
>will allow you to run multiple programs without the finder.  It doesn't
>do background printing or multitasking, however.  I believe that it is PD,
>and if so, I will e-mail you a copy in a day or two.  It's at home. :^)
>
>I also vaugely remember hearing about a way to coax MultiFinder to run without
>the finder, but I am not sure.  Switcher is smaller, anyway and will leave
>more of your 1 meg available for applications.

MultiFinder with a small Finder substitute use less memory on a 1 meg MacPlus
than does Switcher.  In addition Switcher will not work on a Mac II very well
or with later systems.

A few months ago I posted a small Finder subsitute called FemtoFinder.  If
there is any interest I can re-post.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Joe C. Kwan) (05/07/88)

In article <9334@apple.Apple.Com> goldman@apple.UUCP (Phil Goldman) writes:
>MultiFinder with a small Finder substitute use less memory on a 1 meg MacPlus
>than does Switcher.  In addition Switcher will not work on a Mac II very well
>or with later systems.
>
>A few months ago I posted a small Finder subsitute called FemtoFinder.  If
>there is any interest I can re-post.
>
>-Phil Goldman
>Apple Computer

Yes!!! there is definite interest!!! Please post!!!

I picked up Multi_Launch, which uses only 30K as opposed to 160K that
finder uses... but there is the prob that it doesn't seem to work
perfectly... for example, i couldn't get versa_term pro 2.2 to down/up
load in the background while using Multi_Launch... but I did notice
that GLA (graphics Load Average) was able to run in the background...

		-- still looking for a better sol'n --

		Joe

PS> I've posted Multi_Launch in the mac sources newsgroup... it's
    a 5K prog, so if you're interested, it may be worth your time
    just to check it out...

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (05/11/88)

One thing you can do to save memory under MultiFinder is to reduce the size
of the Finder using Get Info.  I reduced mine to 114K and it worked, but it
did grumble when I had lots of windows open.  I usually leave it at 128K and
it works fine, unless I have some big MFS disks...
---
"Don't desert this groove..."              Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (05/11/88)

[]
	I don't usually use Multifinder, but I had reason to write a
little finder-replacement.  It takes up only 3K on disk--I don't know
offhand how much memory it would take.  It handles DAs, Launches
(using the _Launch trap and an SFGetFile, so no document launches),
and can restart and shutdown.  If there's much interest (please
email--I don't always have time to read all of this group) I'll send
it to comp.binaries.mac.
Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Cadnetix Corp.
5775 Central Ave.               {uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x244