[comp.sys.mac] Bibliography databases?

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (05/09/88)

I am looking for a database which is adept at handling bibliographys and
notes on the accompanying papers.  It should have the ability to export
the results to macwrite/MCWORD.  I have seen a product called "Professional
Bibloigraphic System" and I head that it had recently been renamed "Prolite"
Does anyone have expereinces with this product? Thanks.

| That government is best which governs least, because its people            |
| discipline themselves. |                              - Thomas Jefferson   |
| Mark Interrante                                            CIS Department  |
| (904) 335-8047                                      University of Florida  |
| Internet:  mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu                   Gainesville, FL  32611  |

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/10/88)

In article <15453@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:
>I am looking for a database which is adept at handling bibliographys and
>notes on the accompanying papers.  It should have the ability to export
>the results to macwrite/MCWORD.  I have seen a product called "Professional
>Bibloigraphic System" and I head that it had recently been renamed "Prolite"
>Does anyone have expereinces with this product? Thanks.

  This is quite what you asked for, but FullWrite has decent support for
Bibloigraphies built into the product.  It's a neat Word Processor, try and
find a demo to see if it will do what you want.

David M. O'Rourke

| dorourke@polyslo | Disclaimer:  All opinions in this message are mine, but  |
|                  |              if you like them they can be yours too.     |
|                  |              Besides I'm just a student so what do I     |
|                  |              know!                                       |
|    When you have to place a disclaimer in your mail you know it's a sign    |
| that there are TOO many Lawyer's.                                           |

alexlau@thoth6.berkeley.edu (Actively Creates Leftovers) (05/11/88)

In article <2354@polyslo.UUCP> dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes:
>In article <15453@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:
>>I am looking for a database which is adept at handling bibliographys and
>>notes on the accompanying papers.  It should have the ability to export
>>the results to macwrite/MCWORD.  I have seen a product called "Professional
>>Bibloigraphic System" and I head that it had recently been renamed "Prolite"
>>Does anyone have expereinces with this product? Thanks.
>
>  This is quite what you asked for, but FullWrite has decent support for
>Bibloigraphies built into the product.  It's a neat Word Processor, try and
>find a demo to see if it will do what you want.
>
>David M. O'Rourke

Professional Bib. System (PBS) only reads to and writes from text-only
files, so it's not quite what you want, which is the importing/exporting
function.  Is that right?

I'm not too sure about Fullwrite Professional, but the bibliography
section isn't quite a database, per se...it's a paper-by-paper bib.
I got a demo disk from MacWorld Expo in January, and it didn't turn me
on like it has some of the other netters.

What _might_ be what you're looking for is "EndNote" from Niles &
Associates.  I hate to give a free plug like this, but I just saw
a demo of it today...it's very powerful, importing and exporting
MacWrite, Word and WriteNow file types.  No more plugging, but if
you want info you can call them up at (415) 655-6666.  It's scheduled
to be shipped in late June, so there's a little wait; there's a
possibility of WordPerfect file format compatibility coming soon,
and an IBM version in the works.

I thought I said no more plugging...oh, well...

acl	{ihnp4,backbones}!ucbvax!bartleby.berkeley.edu!alexlau
"Statistics are like bikinis...what they show is enticing, but
 what they conceal is vital."	- I forgot who said this.

woodl@byuvax.bitnet (05/11/88)

Regarding your question about professional bibliorgaphic system, about a
year ago, I got a demo disk from them.  I can't remember if it cost
anything or not.  It was OK, but I didn't feel it was worth the money.
I can't find the documentation I got with it, so I don't have the exact
price, but it seems like it was in the neighborhood of $250-300.  I decided
to begin writing my own in HyperCard.  The nice thing about that is you
can put in whatever features you want.  Mine isn't fancy yet, but it will
be one day.

Larry Wood, Brigham Young University, WoodL@BYUVAX.bitnet