[comp.sys.mac] Fullwrite profesional

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (05/01/88)

I saw Fullwrite Professional in a computer store today (Software Central
in Pasadena, a large window display and plenty of stock on hand.)

On the box it said something like "Not for export, for distribution in
the US and Canada only."

The only reason I can think of for this is if it uses technology on the
"not to be exported" list.  Does Fullwrite include a DES encryption
package?  If so, what do they do for the foreign versions?  I assume
that they hired a programmer from some enemy country, such as France,
to rewrite the DES portion of the software so that it can be shipped
from there without requiring every costumer to sign an export license,
but perhaps they just used some non-standard, non-restricted encryption
algorithm.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"Every day it's the same thing--variety.  I want something different."

ps01@bunny.UUCP (Paul Suh) (05/07/88)

In article <6332@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:
>On the box it said something like "Not for export, for distribution in
>the US and Canada only."

>The only reason I can think of for this is if it uses technology on the
>"not to be exported" list.  Does Fullwrite include a DES encryption

The reason for thisis that software companies often put out a "quick and
dirty" release for US markets, qhich don't support the full set of
resources necessary for foreign keyboards, etc.  It gives them an
installed base very quickly, and they can then take their time and do it
right and fix bugs in the next update.

I don't know that this is really Ann Arbor's policy, but I would suspect
it very strongly.

Release 3.02 of Microsoft word was done this way, according to a guy I
know who programmed for Microsoft.

While I'm at it, I'd like to add another person's applause for Think
Technology's handling of the foobar'ed advertisement.  Down with
vaporware!
--

					--Paul

I'm goin' back ta duh Bronx, where it's safe ta talk normal...

fisher@gazelle..UUCP (Chuck Fisher) (05/12/88)

When I talked to the Ashton-Tate product manager for
FullWrite Professional last week, I asked about the
"US, Canada Only."  His answer was that the marketing
agreements with foreign distributors are the reason
for the labeling, not software technology. Supposedly
their PC products are labeled the same way for the same
reason.

Ashton-Tate's foreign distributors have "exclusive" rights
to the software in their designated territories.  Those of
you familiar with the recording industry will recognize
similar arrangements.

Chuck