[comp.sys.mac] Seeking extended keyboard for MacPlus

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (05/07/88)

Shifting keyboards between the Mac II and SE at work and Mac Plus at home
is about to drive me bonkers. Does anyone know of a keyboard for the Mac Plus
that has real control and escape keys?

 -Ken Mitchum
 Decision Systems Laboratories
 University of Pittsburgh
 km@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu

hpoppe@scdpyr.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/09/88)

In article <1174@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) writes:
>Shifting keyboards between the Mac II and SE at work and Mac Plus at home
>is about to drive me bonkers. Does anyone know of a keyboard for the Mac Plus
>that has real control and escape keys?

"Olduvai Corp. makes the ADBridge. It is a hardware interface that lets
users connect older devices (such as trackballs, tablets, joysticks, etc.)
to a Macintosh SE and II and allows 512KE and Mac Plus users to use the
"new" ADB mice and keyboards (including the Apple Extended Keyboard)."

"An accompanying software utility provides automatic configuration and
allows for users of older machines to address the function keys available
on many Apple Desktop Bus keyboards."

$129 retail
Olduvai Corp.
7520 Red Rd.
Ste. A
South Miami, FL 33143
(305) 665-4665

"DataDesk International makes the Mac-101 Enhanced Keyboard; a full-function
keyboard for all Macintoshes."

DataDesk International
7651 Haskell Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91406
(800) 826-5398
(800) 592-9602

So says "The Macintosh Buyers Guide". I don't know anything else about
these products. Standard disclaimers apply.

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/12/88)

>In article <1174@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) writes:
>>Shifting keyboards between the Mac II and SE at work and Mac Plus at home
>>is about to drive me bonkers. Does anyone know of a keyboard for the Mac Plus
>>that has real control and escape keys?

Hmm.. by "real", I assume you mean a ctrl key in the middle-left-hand side
of the keyboard, and an escape key in the upper-left-hand corner.  I have
the DataDesk, and the non-ADB version (for the Mac Plus) has no real control
keys, just an option and Clover key near the space bar at the bottom.  No
escape key either, though I use VersaTerm, which does a nice aliasing
feature for the ` key.  I use a Sun/3 keyboard all day, and while there is a
touch of culture shock on getting home, the Datadesk is *so* nice and
comfortable that it takes only a few seconds to get used to it (I'm up to my
high school speed of typing with the DataDesk).

We've got a Tangent Technologies keyboard in-house for the Mac+.  It has a
real control key but no real escape key.  THe user is expected to use the
ctrl key as a Clover key when using the Mac (they're equivalent to my Mental
KeySearch brain cells, anyway...).

               "You can thank the Rock 'n Roll
                detector for leading you to your
                doom!"
                                                  "Thanks!"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...