[comp.sys.mac] Print Monitor Problem

eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) (05/03/88)

I have encountered a problem with Print Monitor v1.0 which I think the Mac
community should know about.  It became apparent when I used Cricket Draw v1.1
to make some figures.  I found that the system crashed, or the mouse froze up,
or applications (Print Monitor among them) "unexpectedly quit" just after the
postscript output file was generated.

These problems did not occur when I ran the same printout under Finder (not
Multifinder).  I then found that the 10K cricket draw document was generating
a 108K spooled print file!  Since I had configured my Print Monitor application
to use 120K of memory, I was just on the hairy limit.  Once I increased my
Print Monitor partition to 200K, all problems ceased.  The document contained
a small bitmap, some shaded circles and some arcs.  Users of applications which
generate postscript files (not just Cricket Draw users) should be aware of this
problem with Print Monitor.

Until Apple comes out with a fixed version of Multifinder and Print Monitor,
I suggest either increasing the Print Monitor application memory size to
at least 200K, avoid Multifinder entirely, or use another print spooler.
				   Ed Olsen

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/03/88)

In article <6529@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>I have encountered a problem with Print Monitor v1.0 which I think the Mac
>community should know about.  It became apparent when I used Cricket Draw v1.1
>
>These problems did not occur when I ran the same printout under Finder (not
>Multifinder).  I then found that the 10K cricket draw document was generating
>a 108K spooled print file!  .......

There has been a System Version 4.3 floating around in the southern california
area that has Print Monitor 1.1 included with it.  I asked some people on
my local Mac BBS what the difference between 4.2 & 4.3 was and someone from
apple {unoffically of course} replied 4.3 was more for the "international"
market.  I never got a reply as to what he meant by that.  But print
monitor version 1.1 apparently handles the new Laser Printers a little
better and gives it self a larger chunk of memory to begin with.

Also deep inside the manual {I only found this tid bit of info the other day}
Apple does recommend that you increase the memory to Print Monitor if you
are going to "print documents of any length or size".

But I've had problems with Cricket Draw in the past and wouldn't attribute
all of your printing problems to Print Monitor.

David M. O'Rourke
dorourke@polyslo

Disclaimer:  The school doesn't know I'm doing this, and besides I'm a
             student so what do I know anyways.
--
David M. O'Rourke

newsuser@LTH.Se (Lund Institute of Technology news server) (05/12/88)

>There has been a System Version 4.3 floating around in the southern california
>area that has Print Monitor 1.1 included with it.  I asked some people on
>my local Mac BBS what the difference between 4.2 & 4.3 was and someone from
>apple {unoffically of course} replied 4.3 was more for the "international"
>market.  I never got a reply as to what he meant by that.  But print
>monitor version 1.1 apparently handles the new Laser Printers a little
>better and gives it self a larger chunk of memory to begin with.

In Sweden System Tools 5.1 was released in late March (I think). It
includes System 4.3, PrintMonitor 1.1, and LaserDrivers 5.1. System Tools
5.0 was never released here. I don't know what the differences are.

If you really want 5.1, I suppose you can order the localized Swedish
System Tools from APDA -:)

--
Roland Mansson, Dept of Comp Sc, Lund University, Box 118, S-221 00 Lund, Sweden
Phone +46-46109640 (work), +46-46111539 (home)