[comp.sys.mac] SoftPC Speed

ecs165s052@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/11/88)

I saw a demo of SoftPC and it rated 1.3 on Norton SI (meaning it
was 1.3 times as fast as a 4.77 MHz XT.  SoftPC certainly doesn't
have the computational speed of the Mac286, but as anyone who as
actually used a Mac286 will tell you, the screen updating is soooooo
slow on it that it is almost unusable.

The SoftPC updated the screen in a reasonable manner and seemed quite
usable for light MS-DOS activities (i.e. no compiling your next great
database application!)

And, it lists for $600 vs. $1500 for Mac286.

Registrar:
    from the latin "registrarum" meaning "screw the student"
Greg DeMichillie               |{ucbvax, lll-crg, sdcsvax}
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      |      !ucdavis!lgdemichillie
AppleLink : ST0178             |

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (05/11/88)

in:comp.sys.mac / agollum@engr.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>In episode <4030@killer.UUCP>, we
>heard tristan@killer.UUCP (Rob Beckham) say:
comments deleted
><Ahem> The *AMIGA* could do this when it came out, back in, uh, 1985,
>was it?
Maybe so, but WHO in this newsgroup CARES? This is a Macintosh group NOT an
AMIGA one...keep the religious postings out unless they relate to the matter
at hand--I assume that the Amiga was not running SoftPC in 85!

Thank You,

David L. Williams
"Postings from Amiga Fanatics? Just say *BORING*...."

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (05/13/88)

in:comp.sys.mac / jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus)writes:
>ARRGH!!  Once again, someone posts a teaser with NO follow-up or
>contact information....
Ok how is this?

>- WHO produces Soft-PC?
Insignia Solutions
1255 Post Street, Suite 625
San Francisco, CA 94109
Telephone:415-885-4455

>- WHERE can I buy it from?
Well, you can order it from them directly...other than that I don't know
Insignia Solutions Inc.
Department MA
Cupertino, Ca 95019-0399
       -or-
For Fastest Service Phone your order toll free now! (800)848-7677, Ext. 700

>- HOW MUCH does it cost?
$595.00  per copy
 $19.75  per copy "Handling and expedited shipping
 $39.50  per copy "Sales taxes (california addresses only)

>- WHAT kind of hardware does it need to run?
It needs a 68020 (yes, this can be an accelerator card in SE or plus)
>- And WHY, WHY, WHY didn't you include any of this information in your
>  original posting?????
Calm down Rob or your head will explode! ;))

>Rob Jellinghaus                | "The way I see it, computers'll be gone
>jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU | in another 10 years.  But the country's

Hope this helps............

and of course, I am in no way affiliated with Insignia Solutions, I just think
they have a neat product!

David L Williams
"SoftPC, for those rare occasions when you MUST descend into DOS hell"