[comp.sys.mac] "not for Export" stickers on FullWrite boxes

jpa@newcastle.ac.uk (John Aspden) (05/10/88)

Recently it was reported that FullWrite had finally hit the shelves of
Computer stores in the USA, but that the boxes were adorned with
stickers saying something to the effect "For sale in US and Canada
only - not for export". It was speculated that this may be because the
program contained an implementation of the DES encryption
standard.

The reason would seem to be much less to do with "national
security" and much more with maintaining good profits.

In the May edition of the UK MacUser magazine there are a series
of pieces under the title "PRICING! THE MacUser OPEN FORUM",
where various contributors give their views on the fact that software
sold in the UK costs almost double the price of the same items in
the States.

The following is quoted (without permission) from a piece by the
Managing Director of (probably) the largest UK Macintosh software
importer and distributor.

(He begins by explaining the selling chain - the US vendor sells to
the (usually sole) UK distributor, who sells on to the Apple dealers,
who then sell to the customer. He then tries to justify the price
difference by explaining that the UK distributor has to do the
product marketing, unlike in the USA where the marketing is
usually done by the software publisher. "Bootleggers"  disrupt this
scheme by "selling a program on the strength of the legitimate
distributor's marketing efforts". This reduces the demand for the
product from the authorised (and more expensive) distributor,
which forces the price up further since with lower sales volume the
per-item profit needs to be bigger to maintain the same total
income....). The article continues...

"Without properly supported software for the Macintosh, Apple
dealers will find it harder and harder to persuade customers to take
the Macintosh seriously. Apple UK will suffer, as less Macintoshes are
sold (and why not bootleg the computers as well?). The whole
Macintosh community will suffer. If parasites are left to flourish,
eventually they can kill the organism they feed off. Then the
parasites die as well. That's scant consolation.

"This is one reason why we decided earlier this year, in conjunction
with some of our American suppliers, that the time had come to
change the rules of the game.

"In America, some of our suppliers are changing their contracts with
distributors to prohibit export sales. Non-removable stickers will start
to appear on the outside of packages declaring them for sale in the
United States only. Enlightened publishers realise that it is not in
their interest , any more than yours or ours, for bootleggers to get
away with it.

"Here in the UK, we are also making changes. Soon, you will be
seeing stickers on the boxes containing our software informing you
that they are the official UK versions. The stickers themselves will be
serialised to prevent others forging them."

So there you have it. Any comments?
 John Aspden, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England

 JANET: jpa@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot
 UUCP : jpa@cheviot.UUCP
 ARPA : jpa%cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
 PHONE: +44 91 232 9233

flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (05/11/88)

The supplier, incidently, is MacSerious.  I have already suggested we
boycott them until they stop this nonsense.

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (05/13/88)

In article <3122@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk> jpa@newcastle.ac.uk (John Aspden) writes:
>Recently it was reported that FullWrite had finally hit the shelves of
>Computer stores in the USA, but that the boxes were adorned with
>stickers saying something to the effect "For sale in US and Canada
>only - not for export". It was speculated that this may be because the
>program contained an implementation of the DES encryption
>standard.
>
>"Here in the UK, we are also making changes. Soon, you will be
>seeing stickers on the boxes containing our software informing you
>that they are the official UK versions. The stickers themselves will be
>serialised to prevent others forging them."
>
>So there you have it. Any comments?

Yeah, I have some comments...

I place I work at is the national supplier of microcomputer software
to universities. This means that we support some programs very well.
It also means that we always try to get the program quickly and cheaply.

I recently contacted Ashton Tate in order to get a site license of
FullWrite for our university. The first thing they did was send my
message to the Finnish representative of Ashton Tate. Now this company
isn't really interested in the Macintosh. In Finland the Macintosh is
very popular in universities, but it will still take some time for
businesses to catch on. They really weren't interested in even selling
anything to us... Actually what they did was send me a letter asking
me to contact my boss (they saw that the request came from a university
and tried to forward me to the national microcomputer software support)

My boss then tried to talk with them and get us some version to use...
Nothing has happened in Finland since then.

I would really like to make FullWrite the Macintosh standard in
Finnish government offices and universities, but if it is not
available, we'll probably have to recommend MS Word and try to live
with a probably bad decision.

There seems to be some confusion inside Ashton Tate too. A few weeks
after they had forwarded my request to Finland, they sent me a FAX
asking me to contact Ashton Tate in Holland. The Dutch Ashton Tate
naturally has been very silent after I contacted them.

I know the Finnish market is very small, but it still is a part of
a significant market: the international market.

The Finnish software vendors offer virtually no quality support for
their products. They often send their customers to us even when they
know that we can officially give our help only to universities. PC
programs are another story: some programs are so hard to use or
otherwise requires a lot of support. This support must be provided
in order to sell the program and this support exists in Finland.

So, is Ashton Tate interested in making a deal with us? We are no
longer really interested in trying to get Jersoft interested.

Disclaimer:	The opinions here are mine and might not reflect those of
		my employer.

		Juri Munkki
		Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre
		Microcomputing Support Division
		Otakaari 1, Room Y250A
		SF02150 Espoo, Finland

Internet:       jmunkki@santra.hut.fi