[comp.sys.mac] Info on EMAC hard drives

fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) (05/05/88)

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the EMAC 20Meg hard
drive? In ICON REVIEW's catalogue, they show it at a list value of $995,
but their "low" price is $525.  Does this sound good to those of you
who have purchased 20M drives?  I have no basis of experience at all
with anything but floppy drives.  Any advice (email'ed if not universally
relevant) would be appreciated, as well as info on EMAC and Icon Review's
service.

Thank you.

Glenn I. Fleishman, graphic designer & Mac apologist
FLEGLEI@YALEVM.BITNET or through r/Reply
"Andy Warhol lives. I think. Maybe not."

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (05/10/88)

In article <28523@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) writes:
>Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the EMAC 20Meg hard
>drive? In ICON REVIEW's catalogue, they show it at a list value of $995,
>but their "low" price is $525.  Does this sound good to those of you
>who have purchased 20M drives?  I have no basis of experience at all
>with anything but floppy drives.  Any advice (email'ed if not universally
>relevant) would be appreciated, as well as info on EMAC and Icon Review's
>service.
>
>Thank you.

EMAC drives are very nice... Very quiet, reliable from what I hear.
$525 is about the going price for the 20 meg.  Only disadvantage
as far as I'm concerned is it doesn't sit under the mac.
They do, I believe, make one which does sit under the mac.

As for the list price, all list prices are outrageous.  You never
buy anything for the list price unless you like spending extra money...

Ken

Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr. Consultant |  BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
__________________________________/ \____________________________________
DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (05/16/88)

In article <8404@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <28523@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) writes:
>>Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the EMAC 20Meg hard
>>drive?

I own an Everex EMAC 20 DL ("DL" for "deluxe").  It's the EMAC that sits
underneath the Mac like an Apple HD20SC.  It's relatively fast and it's been
quite reliable so far (I've had it for about a month).

>EMAC drives are very nice... Very quiet       ...

Maybe the EMACs that sit next to the Mac are quiet, but the one that sits
underneath is QUITE noisy.  Noisy enough to be distracting in any place but
an office with other fan-cooled computers or printers or in another similar
setting.  My roommates and I refer to my EMAC 20DL as my Mac's "jet engine"
... it's almost as noisy.  Had I known how noisy it'd be, I'd have bought
the other model.

Then again, maybe there's a problem with mine.  Anyone else have the "deluxe"
EMAC 20 hard drive?

John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-1787