[comp.sys.mac] SE Floppy Problem

metz@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Jeff Metzner) (05/16/88)

I have an SE with an internal HD20 and an internal floppy drive.  Today, my
floppy drive decided to stop accepting disks ("This disk is damaged...").

All my disks worked fine yesterday, and they work on a friend's machine.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Do I need to have the machine repaired, or
is it a simple problem I can fix myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Metzner, WVBR-FM, 227 Linden Avenue, Ithaca, NY 14850
ARPA:  metz@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu OR o6mj@vax4.ccs.cornell.edu
BITNET:  o6mj@CRNLTHRY

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (05/16/88)

Jeff Metzner writes:

> I have an SE with an internal HD20 and an internal floppy drive.
> Today, my floppy drive decided to stop accepting disks ("This disk is
> damaged...").
>
> All my disks worked fine yesterday, and they work on a friend's
> machine.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  Do I need to have the machine
> repaired, or is it a simple problem I can fix myself?

Jeff,

I had a similar problem with my 800K internal Mac Plus Drive a few months ago.
All of a sudden, after going through a bunch of public domain disks of a user
group library, the drive would not read any disk.

Over the next couple of days, I periodically tried the drive and got the same
result.  However, about 4 days after the original problem started, the drive
miraculously began working normally again and I have had no problems with it
since then!

I have talked with some local Mac "experts" who thought this all could be
explained by a dirty drive head that coused the inability of the drive to read
a Mac disk.  If the dirt was knocked off of the drive head in the process of
my retrying to use the drive, that would explain why it started working again.

So, you may wish to try using a disk drive cleaner on the drive before going
to your friendly Apple dealer and forking over $200-$300 for a new drive
installation!

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}