[comp.sys.mac] Look out for this mail order company!

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/10/88)

In my search to purchase a copy of Ashton-Tate's FullWrite Professional,
I've been calling up all the reputable (in my experience) mail order
companies; at the time of this writing, they either haven't got it or are
out of stock.  The list price for FullWrite is $395; those that I called who
didn't have it in stock were selling it for about $259.

Anyway, I decided to try out MacWarehouse, the new company in New Jersey
which runs the big ads in MacUser and (I think) MacWorld.  Called them up,
and they said they had it in stock.  Asked the sales represenative how much
and she said "$395"!  After a few minutes of shock, I asked if she was sure
of this -- I pointed out that $395 was the *list* price for the program, and
that I assumed their prices were marked down some (they are in the ads).
She said "Well, it's the manafacturers suggested retail price."  I said I'd
do business elsewhere, thanks.

Hell, even BusinessLand sells it for cheaper.  Take my advice, and if you
have to do business with these highball dingos, shop around.  I hope their
pricing system puts 'em out of business soon.

                        "Bring the little ones unto me, and I will get a
                         good price for them."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) (05/10/88)

In article <3688@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

>Anyway, I decided to try out MacWarehouse, the new company in New Jersey
>which runs the big ads in MacUser and (I think) MacWorld.  Called them up,
>and they said they had it in stock.  Asked the sales represenative how much
>and she said "$395"!  After a few minutes of shock, I asked if she was sure
>of this -- I pointed out that $395 was the *list* price for the program, and
>that I assumed their prices were marked down some (they are in the ads).
>She said "Well, it's the manafacturers suggested retail price."  I said I'd
>do business elsewhere, thanks.
>
>Hell, even BusinessLand sells it for cheaper.  Take my advice, and if you
>have to do business with these highball dingos, shop around.  I hope their
>pricing system puts 'em out of business soon.

From what I've seen of MacWarehouse, this is an anomalous situation. I've bought
several software packages from them, having shopped around the various mail
order houses, and I've found MacWarehouse to be consistently competitive. On
the average, I'd say they've had the best prices for everything I've bought.
Further, their service has been very good (not next day, like MacConnection,
but very good). Dunno what happened with FWP, but I wouldn't judge the company
on this one deal.

Ken Cooper

ARPA:			cooper%cs@ucsd.edu
UUCP:			...!ucsd!sdcsvax!cooper
COMPUSERVE:		71571,407

jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (05/10/88)

In article <3688@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> Anyway, I decided to try out MacWarehouse, the new company in New Jersey
MacWarehouse is not new.  They've been around for about a year, at least.

> which runs the big ads in MacUser and (I think) MacWorld.  Called them up,
> and they said they had it in stock.  Asked the sales represenative how much
> and she said "$395"!  After a few minutes of shock, I asked if she was sure
> of this -- I pointed out that $395 was the *list* price for the program, and
> that I assumed their prices were marked down some (they are in the ads).
> She said "Well, it's the manafacturers suggested retail price."  I said I'd
> do business elsewhere, thanks.
This sounds very unlike MacWarehouse.  Whenever I have dealt with them (on no
less than 3 separate occasions), they have been courteous, quick to ship (
federal express, no less) and have had EXCELLENT prices.  Perhaps this is just
a short-sighted attempt to capitalize on the initial rush of FWP purchasers.

I will always check MacWarehouse first, but I'd certainly not buy that one from
them, especially when I've seen it for $169.

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

freedman@calgary.UUCP (Dan Freedman) (05/12/88)

In article <3688@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> [MacWarehouse quoted $395 for FullWrite.]  After a few minutes of shock,
> I asked if she was sure
> of this -- I pointed out that $395 was the *list* price for the program, and
> that I assumed their prices were marked down some (they are in the ads).
> She said "Well, it's the manafacturers suggested retail price."  I said I'd
> do business elsewhere, thanks.

One nice thing about MacWarehouse --- they have a 1-800 number which
works in Canada.  I think that they are the only one who does.  They are
also very capable when it comes down to doing all of the appropriate customs
stuff for sending goods to Canada.  I have only had good experiences with them.

All you manufacturers and sellers out there who advertise 1-800 numbers in the
magazines:  please realize that unless you arrange it specifically, the number
doesn't work from Canada.  We would all be very grateful if you would make it
as easy for us Canadians to buy your goods as it is for people in your own
country.  Also, some companies don't even list a normal (non 1-800) number,
which forces Canadians to try and find the company through directory
assistance.  And if the address is not given, we can't get through at all!
From our point of view, MacWarehouse has the right idea.

	Dan Freedman
	University of Calgary Computer Science Department
	2500 University Drive N.W.
	Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4

	...!{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!calgary!freedman

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (05/12/88)

I hate to do this but I still do: I've done business with MacWarehouse and
I got excellent prices and service from them. Obviously they aren't perfect,
but they aren't that bad at all.
Disclaimer: I own MacWarehouse (just kidding).

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5688.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-292-4975.secy

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/12/88)

In article <1183@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>This sounds very unlike MacWarehouse.  Whenever I have dealt with them (on no
>less than 3 separate occasions), they have been courteous, quick to ship (
>federal express, no less) and have had EXCELLENT prices.  Perhaps this is just
>a short-sighted attempt to capitalize on the initial rush of FWP purchasers.

Considering the number of other users who seem satisfied with it, I'm
assuming that the sales rep was a rookie -- first day on the job or
something.  Still, they should train their people better; this wouldn't have
happened at MacConnection.

>I will always check MacWarehouse first, but I'd certainly not buy that one from
>them, especially when I've seen it for $169.

I'm assuming the $169 is the old price for FullWrite, before Ashton-Tate got
a hold of it.  They raised the list price by $100 (from $295 to $395), and
the mail order companies who had taken advanced orders for FW seem to have
raised it from $169 to $269.  If you know somebody who's currently selling
FullWrite Professional for $169, I'd like to know!

                        "On our third date, I
                         plan to screw your eyes
                         blue."
                                                "Yup.... just an old-
                                                 fashioned girl."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

wbell@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Warren Bell) (05/13/88)

Well, I phoned the various mail order places yesterday looking for FWP,
and MacWarehouse had it for $269.
MacConnection had it for $275, and Programs Plus (who've been listing it
in their ads for $169 for months even tho it wasn't available) had it
for $259.

sigh. I haven't ordered it yet. I'm still trying to convince myself its
worth the extra $100 that I wasn't expecting..

--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

Disclaimer: the views expressed above are mine, and do not in any way reflect
the views of my employers.

simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) (05/16/88)

We have had FullWrite backordered from MacConnection since early Feb. at
the original early-bird price of US$169.00.  The invoice I got from them
said 3--4 weeks before shipping then, although we all know now what has
happened.  We still haven't received it from them, but I'll post a note to
say whether we ended up paying the original bargain price or the later
release price.
W. Simon Tortike
Dept Min, Met &    UUCP:   ...{ubc-vision,ihnp4,mnetor}!alberta!simon
  Petroleum Engg   BITNET: stortike@ualtavm
Univ. of Alberta   AGT:    (403) 432-3338
Edmonton, AB
Canada T6G 2G6