[comp.sys.mac] Interferon crashes

hellerst@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein) (05/14/88)

It would seem that the recently posted "Interferon" binary has a bug.
I ran it on a Mac Plus, under the latest finder and system, and after
checking about half of my 30 meg hard disk it crashed (ID=2--odd address error,
right?)
	Thought you'd all like to know -- maybe it's something simple?  I
had no strange cdev's or INITs loaded in, either.

Joe Hellerstein

6029334@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert G. Trevor) (05/15/88)

In article <4588@husc6.harvard.edu>, hellerst@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein) writes:

>It would seem that the recently posted "Interferon" binary has a bug.
>I ran it on a Mac Plus, under the latest finder and system, and after
>checking about half of my 30 meg hard disk it crashed (ID=2--odd address error,
>right?)

What can I say...it works for me.  (SE 20 meg hard disk, latest system
and finder, quite a few inits, fkeys etc clogging up the RAM.)

Rob Trevor
MaBell: (609) 452-4051
Bitnet: 6029334@PUCC
UseNet: 6029334@PUCC.Princeton.Edu

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/17/88)

According to the documentation that comes with Interferon 2.0, Interferon
reads and interprets each file's resource map itself, rather than going
through the Resource Manager.  "If it runs into a file with a damaged
resource map, it _usually_ can detect this and will display an error message.
If it does not, it will crash as it chokes on the bad data, usually with an
ID=02 message.  The bad file is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Remove it and try again.  I think I have this whipped -- let me know if you
run into it."

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303