[comp.sys.mac] Free signup & $60 usage credit for MacSIG on The Source

cheeser@mozart.UUCP (Les Kay ) (04/22/88)

For Immediate release:

For Immediate release:

Announcing a special offer for all Macintosh users!  Available immediately, a
special money saving offer from The Source. Effective now, you can get a free
sign up for The Source and receive a $60.00 usage credit!  Available world-wide,
The Source is the oldest and one of the best known of the major Telecomputing
services.

MacSIG on The Source is extending this offer to the users of usenet, bitnet and
arpanet. While not as heavily used as the "net", MacSIG offers it's users faster
and much more reliable communications and vastly simplified file transfers.
Files are available in the MacSIG Software Library and via your own personal
Share Files area!  Each user on The Source has two file directories, one for his
own personal files and one where he can make files available to the other users
of The Source. Files may be uploaded to MacSIG or to your own file area via Text
Upload, Xmodem and Kermit protocols.

MacSIG members also benefit from the MacSIG POSTPLUS, an Electronic Message Base
and from PARTI, an Electronic Conferencing System. Of special note to PARTI
users, unlike other Electronic Message Bases ANY PARTI user may create his or
her OWN topics in PARTI at will! When you join a topic in PARTI, any new notes
that are generated in that topic will appear in your IN BOX for your
convenience. No need to search multiple message bases to find out what's new!

On The Source, CHATTING electronically in real time with other users is one of
the best deals available ANYWHERE!  In CHAT, you are billed at the rate for 300
baud usage, regardless of the actual baud rate you are connected at!

Following is the text and subscription procedure for you own account on The
Source:

    Through  a  special  arrangement  with  Source  Telecomputing
    Corp.,  you can save $29.95 by joining The Source for free --
    and also receive an extraordinary $60 credit.  If you join as
    part of  this  offer,  you'll  save  an  additional  $9  when
    purchasing  The  Source's $21.95 users manual for only $12.95
    (plus $3.50 postage & handling).  Altogether, you save nearly
    $100! Call STC toll-free right now and  be  online  with  The
    Source in a few minutes! Here's how:

         1.  Call 1-800-336-3366
         2.  Give the operator claim number 7BL7101
         3.  Have your VISA, AMEX, MasterCard or Discover Card handy

    You'll  receive  your personal ID and password over the phone
    so you can sign on immediately.  Remember: as  part  of  this
    special  offer, you'll receive a $5 credit each month for the
    next 12 months -- a total of $60 to be  applied  toward  your
    usage,  or  your  $10 monthly membership.  Offer expires June
    30th.

Note too that the $10.00 monthly minimum IS applied to your actual usage. If you
use $10.00 worth of connect time on The Source, you will be billed $10.00, not
$20.00. At 1200 baud non-prime time usage, this represents about an hour and a
half per month!    I don't know about you, but it cost's me more than that to
use usenet!

And just what are the rates on The Source?  Here's is a chart that should show
just what a good deal The Source really is:

A special note about CHAT:  There is no baud rate surcharge applied to CHAT. All
CHAT usage is billed at the rate for regular Source usage at 300 baud,
regardless of the actual baud rate you are calling at!  This is a real bargain!

Those menu items that are marked with an asterisk (*) are
available at the following LOW rates:

                      MacSIG Rates
Baud     Prime Time                 Non-Prime Time
Rate     By the Min | By the HR     By the Min | By the HR
====     ======================     ======================
 300     .18/min    | $10.80/hr     .10/min    | $6.00/hr
1200     .23/min    | $13.80/hr     .13/min    | $7.80/hr
2400     .25/min    | $15.00/hr     .15/min    | $9.00/hr

Prime time is 7 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday. All other
times are non-prime time.

As a comparison of the three major Telecommunications services,
the following list, accurate as of 03/01/88, is provided:

Price List for the 3 Major Services

Prime Time Rates 2-25-88:
Service Name     |     300 Baud     |     1200 baud     |     2400 baud
The Source*      |     $10.80       |     $13.80        |     $15.00
CompuServe       |     $ 6.00       |     $12.50        |     $12.50
GEnie            |     $35.00       |     $35.00        |     $42.50

Non-Prime Time Rates 2-25-88:
Service Name     |     300 Baud     |     1200 baud     |     2400 baud
The Source*      |     $ 6.00       |     $ 7.80        |     $ 9.00
CompuServe       |     $ 6.00       |     $12.50        |     $12.50
GEnie            |     $ 5.00       |     $ 5.00        |     $12.50

* These prices are the Special Low SIG Rates available for those
sections of the MacSIG whose menu items are preceded by an
asterisk "*".  Other areas of The Source may be available at
higher or lower rates or free of charge (such as the Guided
Tour).

So don't delay, call right now and sign up on The Source!  See you on MacSIG!

Les Kay (AKA cheeser), SIG001, Sponsor of MacSIG on The Source

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (05/05/88)

Didn't we cover this before? THIS IS AN ILLEGITIMATE USE OF THIS NEWSGROUP.
comp.sys.mac can be vaporizzed because you post this advertising drivel in
here. Cease all such activities. You were warned by us about this, and you
continue to ignore that fact. You can have yourself removed from network
access also. I asked nicely, as I read net.newuser (or whatever it is) and
I read all about not doing such things. You are ignoring the rules. We all
know that The Source has nice deals. We don't nee to hear about them
everytime we log on. This is not late night television, and car salesmen
are not permitted in here. Go away!

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

cheeser@chinet.UUCP (Les Kay) (05/06/88)

I just saw a message on the net purporting to have originated from me at a
system called "mozart".  Well, before the flames start, let me say this:

I DID NOT POST THIS MESSAGE. I do not even use mozart.

Looks like someone out there is enjoying the controversy, if nothing else.

I've sent a message to the admisnistrator of mozart informing him of this,
but mail being what it sometimes is, if someone from mozart sees this note,
please pass it on tp the administrator.

The note is reference number: <45@mozart.UUCP>

Les Kay

cheeser                          Pereant, iniquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt!
lo not use the mailer return path, use any of the following:
cheeser@pro-charlotte.CTS.COM      -or-         !{att-ih | ihnp4}!chinet!cheeser

mjs1@nvuxg.UUCP (Michael Sonnier) (05/11/88)

In article <45@mozart.UUCP> cheeser@mozart.UUCP (Les Kay (704) 364-5001) writes:
>The Source is the oldest and one of the best known of the major Telecomputing
>services.
....  Goes on ad nauseum about rates; how great it is etc

Apart from all the standard complaints about the BLATANT commercial nature
of this ad I just wanted to warn networld about the experience I had with
the Source...

Flame On
--------

Some years back when I got my first modem it came with one of these "free"
startup packages for the Source.  What the hell...  I called up a few times.
Used up my free time and a little more.  Didn't find too much of interest
so didn't call back.  Realized I was being billed a monthly minimum fee
(don't recall the amount) so called to cancel.  Next month another charge.
Called again, was told it was taken care of including credit for errant
charge.  Next month no credit + another charge.  Next came more calls,
certified letters, letters on attorneys stationary, etc.  This went on for
about 6 months, charges that I refused to pay the bank collecting on the
credit card.  Bank kept kicking the back to the Source.  Finally in desperation
got a new credit card (different number) issued and the other one canceled.
As far as I know they are still charging to that old number to this day :-).

In any case:  I found the Source and its employees to be totally unresponsive
to its customers, rude, and unethical in their business practices.  While this
was many many moons ago and many of their problems may have been solved I would
not even consider joining at any rate.  I would rather pay more for one of
the other (in my opinion superior) services.

Flame off
--------

>Les Kay (AKA cheeser), SIG001, Sponsor of MacSIG on The Source

Michael Sonnier
Bell Communications Research
Red Bank NJ

wong@yale.UUCP (Yi Wan Wong) (05/11/88)

In article <45@mozart.UUCP> cheeser@mozart.UUCP (Les Kay (704) 364-5001) writes:
>For Immediate release:
>
>For Immediate release:
>
>Announcing a special offer for all Macintosh users!  Available immediately, a
>special money saving offer from The Source. Effective now, you can get a free
>So don't delay, call right now and sign up on The Source!  See you on MacSIG!
>Les Kay (AKA cheeser), SIG001, Sponsor of MacSIG on The Source

Despite the many complaints posted by other netters, this "commercial ads"
keep poping up on the bboard.  Is there anyway we can stop this person from
posting this type of articles in the future?  Why don't each of us email
directly to "cheeser" to request him to stop :-> ?

Yiwan Wong
Department of Computer Science
Yale University

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (05/17/88)

In article <212@nvuxg.UUCP> mjs1@nvuxg.UUCP (23182-Michael Sonnier) writes:
>not even consider joining at any rate.  I would rather pay more for one of
>the other (in my opinion superior) services.

	Even better, the chart in the ad clearly shows that The
Source's rates are significantly higher than GEnie's!  (Not to mention
that GEnie has no minimum monthly rate, but who would use it less than
a couple hours a month if they used it at all, anyway?)  I've rarely
seen such a self-defeating action as that posting.
Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Cadnetix Corp.
5775 Central Ave.               {uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x244