[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Professioal

dlt@csuna.UUCP (05/12/88)

I have a gripe about FWP.  If you try to open a text document from within
FWP, up pops a dialog box with the message that says the document is not
a valid MultiMate text document.  What ever is a MultiMate document?????
In order to get this document into FWP I first had to read it into Word
and save it as a Word document, exit Word and convert it in FWP.  *Rather*
cumbersome, to say the least. It *is* a type TEXT file.  The reference
manual says that files of ascii text can be opened.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!csuna!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/17/88)

In article <1199@csuna.UUCP> dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson) writes:
>I have a gripe about FWP.  If you try to open a text document from within
>FWP, up pops a dialog box with the message that says the document is not
>a valid MultiMate text document.  What ever is a MultiMate document?????
>In order to get this document into FWP I first had to read it into Word
>and save it as a Word document, exit Word and convert it in FWP.  *Rather*
>cumbersome, to say the least. It *is* a type TEXT file.  The reference
>manual says that files of ascii text can be opened.

Hmmm... well, I've been opening text files with no problems.  FullWrite also
opens MultiMate documents, which are produced by MultiMate, a
something-or-other application Ashton-Tate produces for the PC world.
Somehow, it appears FW is having a problem opening those specific text
files; I'm wondering if the AUTHOR code of the text file is equivalent to
whatever code is expected for a MultiMate document -- even though FW should
notice the TEXT code and leave it at that.

Suggestion: change the AUTHOR code of the text document to something else,
e.g. MWRT, WORD, etc.  Then see if it will open up the file.

                "A man who has no business being anyone's role model..."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...