[comp.sys.mac] Practical Peripheral's 2400 baud modem

) (05/17/88)

I posted not too long ago about this modem, and have received a lot of
replies, both over the network and via e-mail.  Thanks to everyone
who responded!

One question, though, that wasn't completely answered.  Does this modem
recognize a busy signal and do automatic re-dialing after some period?

i currently have the DAK (ADC) 1200 bauder, and it has this feature.
I'm used to it!

Thanks...

Rich

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/17/88)

In article <8805161923.AA04925@decwrl.dec.com> long@colors.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
>One question, though, that wasn't completely answered.  Does this modem
>recognize a busy signal and do automatic re-dialing after some period?

   Yes, SmartCom does get a busy signal back from it at then SmartCom redials
the modem.  The bottom line is that if a Hayes does it then this modem does
it.

David M. O'Rourke

| dorourke@polyslo | Disclaimer:  All opinions in this message are mine, but  |
|                  |              if you like them they can be yours too.     |
|                  |              Besides I'm just a student so what do I     |
|                  |              know!                                       |
|    When you have to place a disclaimer in your mail you know it's a sign    |
| that there are TOO many Lawyer's.                                           |

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (05/19/88)

In article <8805161923.AA04925@decwrl.dec.com> long@colors.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
>One question, though, that wasn't completely answered.  Does this modem
>recognize a busy signal and do automatic re-dialing after some period?

It definately recognizes busy signals -- I have one at home, and had to
disable that feature via Hayes commands so that auto-redial would work with
an older version of VersaTerm.  VersaTerm's auto-redial (as of 3.20) now
knows what to do with PP's "BUSY" response, and works accordingly.  I don't
know about PP doing auto-redial; all I know is that with VersaTerm, it does
auto-redial (in the background under MultiFinder, yet!).

I realize now what the term "attack dialer" means...

               "You can thank the Rock 'n Roll
                detector for leading you to your
                doom!"
                                                  "Thanks!"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...