[comp.sys.mac] Looking for FAX software

chiang@m2c.ORG (Rit Chiang) (05/15/88)

Does anyone know of any public domain or commercial FAX software
running on IBM PC/XT/AT or VAX computers ?

I am looking for some FAX software that could be run from any computers
instead of buying a FAX machine.

If anyone has such knowledge, please respond.

Rit Chiang
Massachusetts Microelectronics Center
75 North Drive.,
Westboro, MA 01581
(617)870-0312

UUCP :  {harvard, ulowell}!m2c!chiang
Internet: chiang@m2c.m2c.org

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (05/15/88)

In article <2451@m2cM2C.ORG> chiang@m2c.ORG (Rit Chiang) writes:
>Does anyone know of any public domain or commercial FAX software
>running on IBM PC/XT/AT or VAX computers ?
>I am looking for some FAX software that could be run from any computers
>instead of buying a FAX machine.

	this software can never be public domain, because it requires
	custom hardware:  a pc card using the Rockwell facsimile modem
	chipset.  the software is not trivial, either...  a PC fax board
	and softwrae will cost anywhere from $400 to $1000...

	i have a fax board currently installed in my PC and it is handy.
	i'm doing some custom software work with it...

	there are at least 20 vendors of PC-Fax boards and software.
	Panasonic (Panafax) and Brooktrout Technology (PC-Fax) come to
	mind immediately.  the Panafax is sold in many computer stores;
	Brooktrout is at 617 235 3026 if anyone wants details from them...

farber@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) (05/16/88)

I am using the Complete Fax board (~$325 discounted). Real nice under
dos. I would love a Xenix version. I also have a Compete Answering
Machine and it is a great product. Real good stuff

---------------
David J. Farber; Prof. of CS and EE, Director - Distributed Systems Labs.
University of Pennsylvania/200 South 334d Street/Philadelphia, PA  19104-6389
Tele: 215-898-9508; FAX: 215-274-8192

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (05/16/88)

In <4652@super.upenn.edu> farber@linc.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (David Farber) writes:

>I am using the Complete Fax board (~$325 discounted). Real nice under
>dos. I would love a Xenix version. I also have a Compete Answering
>Machine and it is a great product. Real good stuff

	does that fax board run at 9600 baud??  and does it run nicely in
	the background under DOS??  if so, then it is a good deal!
	even if it runs at 4800 or 2400, it still is a decent buy --
	though there are competitive prices available from other vendors
	for boards that don't run at 9600...  background operation is key,
	especially at the lower baud rates -- nobody wants their PC tied
	up for 10 minutes every time a few pages of fax arrive...

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (05/19/88)

In article <2451@m2cM2C.ORG> chiang@m2c.ORG (Rit Chiang) writes:
>Does anyone know of any public domain or commercial FAX software
>running on IBM PC/XT/AT or VAX computers ?
>I am looking for some FAX software that could be run from any computers
>instead of buying a FAX machine.
>If anyone has such knowledge, please respond.
>Rit Chiang
>Massachusetts Microelectronics Center
>UUCP :  {harvard, ulowell}!m2c!chiang
>Internet: chiang@m2c.m2c.org

I have reviewed a couple of the PC FAX offerings on the market, and I was
impressed by the Panasonic Fax Partner.  Very respectable control software,
nice features like background sending and receiving, polling and file
queueing.  It also comes bundled with a special version of PC Paintbrush
for reviewing the transmissions.  I spoke with the product manager at
Panasonic and he said that they were working with Novell on making the
Fax board accessible network wide (on Novell stuff of course).  That is a
very nice way to give everbody fax use.  If you like more of a technical
interface and low level control features, check out GammaFax (by Gamma I
think).  All features are available via a DOS command line so that you
can write intense batch files that can modify certain document and
transmission characteristics on the fly.  The user interface is a little
stiff, owing to the fact that it is basically a command driven system.

Word of warning: don't forget to include the price of a scanner when
pricing these things.  The Panasonic system (no scanner) can be had
for about 750.00 street price.  Retail is 995.00.

Fax access

 Rodrigo Murillo, University of Colorado - Boulder  (303) 761-0410
 murillo@boulder.colorado.edu | ..{ncar|nbires}!boulder!murillo
 ( Machines have less problems.  I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Warhol )