[comp.sys.mac] MaM Test

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (06/30/87)

A recent posting called, I believe, MaM Test, a multi-megabyte memory test
for the Mac which was very comprehensive crashes on the Mac II.  Does
anyone (the author?) know if this is being updated to run on the Mac II?

Given the various memory configurations and need for users to update
the memory on the Mac II, a good memory test would come in quite handy.

Jeff Harrow
617/264-5128

grayson@cartan.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Grayson) (06/30/87)

In article <10594@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
>A recent posting called, I believe, MaM Test, a multi-megabyte memory test
>for the Mac which was very comprehensive crashes on the Mac II.  Does
>anyone (the author?) know if this is being updated to run on the Mac II?

MaM seems to make hard-coded assumptions about the values of some
low memory globals. I got it to mor-or-less run on a II by examining
memory with the micro-debugger and replacing the globals. Instead of
rebooting when done, however, I got a spectacular crash where my screen
went crazy ALL THE WAY TO ITS EDGE. Not the normal screen boundary, but
the whole physical tube... out to the plastic!

Upon rebooting, however, MaM came back with it's "All Tests Passed"
message.

Conclusion: Wait for the author to issue a machine-independent version.

Matt

frameli@dpdmai.dec.com (Vernon Dale Frameli) (05/18/88)

i was looking for Ephraim Vishniac author of MaM Test. does anyone know
what usenet address i can reach him at?

                                       thanks,  dale

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (05/19/88)

In article <8805181516.AA10383@decwrl.dec.com> frameli@dpdmai.dec.com (Vernon Dale Frameli) writes:

>i was looking for Ephraim Vishniac author of MaM Test. does anyone know
>what usenet address i can reach him at?

>                                       thanks,  dale

I'm right here, but I'm not the original author of MaM Test (the
"Elephant Test" for Mac memory).  All I did was patch it for various
memory sizes above 1 megabyte so that MassTech (R.I.P.) could test
their memory boards.  I wasn't aware of any copies being distributed
with my name on them.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"