[comp.sys.mac] Interferon Reports Type

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (05/19/88)

Hello Netters,

I'm concerned with the enclosed abridged Interferon 2.0 listing (see below)
reporting infection of type "(004), 04/07/88 "SNEAK" Virus: Common system
folder files turned into INIT's", found on my SE's internal HD.  I'm
running Sys/Finder 4.2/6.0 with and without Multifinder.  Laser Prep and
LaserWriter are Versions 5.1, obtained from a co-worker through a user's
group.  ResEdit1.0.1 showed me nothing unusual about these files as
compared to Versions 5.0, except Version 5.1 of the LaserWriter contains a
resource called "vers" that is not in Version 5.0 of the same file and
resource type "LWRT" in LaserWriter Ver5.0 is replace by "LWRR" in
Version 5.1.

The ASCII data from these resources is cut and pasted from ResEdit and
shown here:

"LWRT"
&LaserWriter: Version 5.0, October 1987
"LWRR"
'LaserWriter: Version 5.1, December 1987
"vers"
{escape character}@5.1"5.1,(c)Apple Computer, Inc. 1985-87

Nothing else in my System folder contains a "vers" resource.  Neither of
these files have been turned into INIT's or contain any INIT's.
LaserWriter Ver5.1 is 62111 bytes in the resource fork and shows a
creation date of 12/1/87 at 9:00 am.  Laser Prep Ver5.1 was created
at the same time and contains 26669 bytes in the resource fork.

My biggest concern is that our entire Local Talk network is running with
Ver. 5.1 of the LaserWriter Drivers and I don't want to start a panic if
this is just a false report in the Interferon 2.0 listing (Yes, my
Network Update Disk, the one used to update all the Macs on our network,
also reports this type 004 infection in the same files).

Could someone either validate my concern or tell me that Interferon is
reporting erroneous infections.

Thank you for listening!

Abridged Interferon 2.0 Listing
_______________________
Checking for viral infections on volume "DWHD"

INFECTION: Type 004 virus detected in file:
 DWHD:
  System Folder:
   Laser Prep

INFECTION: Type 004 virus detected in file:
 DWHD:
  System Folder:
   LaserWriter

ALERT! Volume "DWHD" may be infected!
Consult listing to determine the details.

Interferon run completed!
533 files were scanned, of which 223 had resource forks.

--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!dean

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (05/20/88)

In article <246@aoa.UUCP> dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) writes:
>I'm concerned with the enclosed abridged Interferon 2.0 listing (see below)
>reporting infection of type "(004), 04/07/88 "SNEAK" Virus: Common system
>folder files turned into INIT's", found on my SE's internal HD.  I'm
>running Sys/Finder 4.2/6.0 with and without Multifinder.  Laser Prep and
>LaserWriter are Versions 5.1, obtained from a co-worker through a user's
>group.

No need to panic.  Interferon is only complaining because the file types
have changed.  The 'vers' resources are new - they will be in everything
in the next System Tools release.  They are documented in Tech Note 189.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC