[comp.sys.mac] Dvorek keyboard

gcaball2@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Gary Caballero) (05/16/88)

Is there any software available that allows on Macintosh keyboards to be
mapped as a Dvorek keyboard ?

avalon@ssyx (Scott A. McIntyre) (05/16/88)

+-In article <weird numbers>, gcaball2@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Gary) wrote:-
+----------
|Is there any software available that allows on Macintosh keyboards to be
|mapped as a Dvorek keyboard ?
+----------

I hope not.

No, really.  I did see a DA a few years (no joke!) ago.  It was PD, and was
offered by the San Diego Mac User's Group...their pd librarian works at
Educomp, you may want to pick up one of their catalogs.

The DA somehow mapped regular keys to Dvorak....I only used it once, found
it incredibly silly, since I dont have a Dvorak keyboard, and uninstalled it.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
		avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu		ARPA/Internet \

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (05/17/88)

In article <328@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> gcaball2@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Gary Caballero) writes:
>Is there any software available that allows on Macintosh keyboards to be
>mapped as a Dvorek keyboard ?

Take a look  at QuickKeys. This award-winning software allows
arbitrary and powerful binding of commands, keystrokes, mousing, etc
to keystrokes. It also has a dvorak keyboard binding if that's what
you want. Well worth the money!!  (Needless to say, I have no
affiliation with this company, blah, blah, blah).

Phil Kahn

mcb@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Hungry mind and open eyes . . .) (05/17/88)

   Yeah!!  The Dvorak layout is vastly faster than the QWERTY, and on the
new Macintoshes, it works beautifully.
   The Dvorak keyboard layout is documented in Tech note #160 (key mapping).
The deal, basically, is this:
   The new Macintoshes use a two-stage key decoding sequence.  In the first
stage, which involves the KMAP resource, keys are mapped from their hardware
values to some device independent values.  The KMAP resource should only be
used for this purpose.
   To switch the logical keyboard mapping, you use a KCHR resource.  This
translates the device-independent key values into ascii values.  The format of
the KCHR resource is documented in TN160- essentially, it consists of a number
(usually 8) of 128 byte tables which control key mapping under different
modifier keys.  What you should probably do is copy the 'US' KCHR resource
from the System file, and modify it to suit your needs.  You then install the
new KCHR resource, along with a SICN resource of the same number into the
System file.  From now on, the Keyboard panel of the control panel will allow
you to choose between the US and Dvorak layouts.
   If anyone wants a ready-made KCHR and SICN set, send me mail.
   Incidentally, certain badly-written programs, like Telnet and MS Word,
do not work properly with a Dvorak layout.
							-Matt

--
Matt Bamberger			"Truth is after all a moving target
1005 E. 60th St., #346		 Hairs to split, and pieces that don't fit.

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/20/88)

  I have at least 5 of those DA's, INITs, and applications... (I used to
give stuff to Educomp [now EDUCORP].. But they've changed their trade ratio
from one 400K disk for five 400K disk for 1 800K for 3 400K).

  If I ever figure out where I stashed Binhex 5.0 I'll try to upload one
or two... (One probably)