[comp.sys.mac] message <1634624868@uiucdcsm>

kevin@trsvax.UUCP (05/17/88)

> My brother is planning to upgrade a 128k mac (which has already been
> upgraded to a 512ke) to 2M + SCSI. Has anyone had any experiences with
> someting like the Dove Computer MacSnap 548s kit for such purposes?
> I wonder if this would overload the original power supply, or if there
> would be any other problems. Thanks.

I've done this very thing (starting at the 512E step).  The power supply
seems to be OK but you will almost certainly need to add a fan to keep
the temperature down.  (I use a Kensington System Saver Mac which also
has a surge protector and moves the power switch to the front.  Switches,
I should say, as they give you one for a hard disk or other peripheral
and one for the Mac itself.)  I tried a MacChimney hoping for a silent
solution but it didn't seem to do the trick (and when you add a hard disk,
you probably won't notice the little extra noise made by a fan on the Mac
itself...)

Hope this helps.
Kevin Dack
kevin@trsvax.tandy.com

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/20/88)

In article <196300013@trsvax> kevin@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>> My brother is planning to upgrade a 128k mac (which has already been
>> upgraded to a 512ke) to 2M + SCSI. Has anyone had any experiences with
>> someting like the Dove Computer MacSnap 548s kit for such purposes?
>> I wonder if this would overload the original power supply, or if there
>> would be any other problems. Thanks.

I've been very happy with my dove upgrade also.  No problems so far, 1 year
old now.  But I also purchased a fan, the board does a good job of almost
completely covering the mother board, and I'm sure all those extra chips
inside the mac don't help either {anyone of you hardware type netlanders
care to comments, I really don't know that much about hardware}.  Anyways
the fan seems to help and I can recommend the 512K --> 2 meg upgrade from
dove
--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!