[comp.sys.mac] No SIMMS

hal@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (05/19/88)

In article <13618@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@kazoo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>If you know of any way to get SIMMs in a reasonable amount of time,
>please let me know.  (Don't tell anyone else, though, until my order
>comes in. :-) )

I've been on a waiting list to get more memory for my Mac Plus for
several months now.  Last weekend I checked with the service person at
my local computer store and she said that the latest Apple service
bulletin now lists SIMMS as "not currently available" -- i.e. they have
been more-or-less withdrawn from the catalog until the chip supply
situation improves.  It doesn't matter if you are a member of the
university consortium or just an ordinary customer.  You'll have to
wait.

Hal Perkins			internet:  hal@gvax.cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS			bitnet:    hal@crnlcs
				uucp:      {most anywhere}!cornell!hal

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (05/19/88)

In article <17405@cornell.UUCP>, hal@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
 > In article <13618@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@kazoo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
 > >If you know of any way to get SIMMs in a reasonable amount of time,
 > >please let me know.  (Don't tell anyone else, though, until my order
 > >comes in. :-) )
 >
 > I've been on a waiting list to get more memory for my Mac Plus for
 > several months now.  Last weekend I checked with the service person at
 > my local computer store and she said that the latest Apple service
 > bulletin now lists SIMMS as "not currently available" -- i.e. they have
 > been more-or-less withdrawn from the catalog until the chip supply
 > situation improves.  It doesn't matter if you are a member of the
 > university consortium or just an ordinary customer.  You'll have to
 > wait.

Apple has informed us that an order placed now with them for memory will
probably be filled sometime in September.  I am not entirely sure that this
will be the case; we are expecting late October delivery.  Also, get your
orders out by June 6!  The prices are going up by at least 42%, more in
some cases.

Michael Niehaus
UUCP: ..!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (05/20/88)

in article <17405@cornell.UUCP>, hal@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) says:

> In article <13618@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@kazoo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>>If you know of any way to get SIMMs in a reasonable amount of time,
>>please let me know.  (Don't tell anyone else, though, until my order
>>comes in. :-) )
>
> I've been on a waiting list to get more memory for my Mac Plus for
> several months now.  Last weekend I checked with the service person at
> my local computer store and she said that the latest Apple service
> bulletin now lists SIMMS as "not currently available" -- i.e. they have
> been more-or-less withdrawn from the catalog until the chip supply
> situation improves.  It doesn't matter if you are a member of the
> university consortium or just an ordinary customer.  You'll have to
> wait.

I got some 256K SIMMS for my Mac II (2 Meg is more than 100% than 1 Meg...)
by posting a request for them over this network. A number of people who
had used SIMMS for sale responded to my posting. I bought one set and am
happy as a clam. I highly recommend that method!

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai