[comp.sys.mac] BBS requirements

borcelf@coil.cs.orst.edu (Fernando Borcel) (05/14/88)

To all SysOps out there:

I'm implementing a BBS for the macintosh, which will hopefully be done by next
fall.

I'm doing some research on what the SysOps expect from their BBS software, and
some questions just come to mind:

1.  What features do you consider STANDARD in a BBS? (eg transfer protocols,
    networking capabilities, etc).
2.  What would you like to see in a BBS? (i.e. non standard features)
3.  What do you really hate about your BBS?
4.  Anything you want to add.

Please EMAIL me your answer!

Fernando Borcel
borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
or
tektronix!borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (05/18/88)

In article <4620@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.EDU (Fernando Borcel) writes:
>To all SysOps out there:

>I'm doing some research on what the SysOps expect from their BBS software, and
>some questions just come to mind:

Hi - I run a BBS which has 50+ regular callers (in a city with just
over 800,000 people and less than 10 BBS), so here's my 2400 bits worth:

>1.  What features do you consider STANDARD in a BBS? (eg transfer protocols,
>    networking capabilities, etc).

Standard features should include:
 o Messaging
 o File transfer (upload & down-load)
 o File catalogues
 o Closed User Groups
 o Up/down-loading of messages (XMODEM) for long-distance callers
 o Password security
 o Chat mode
 o User statistics
 o Fido-net
 o Multiple baud rates (modem dependent)
 o Doors (shell to the operating system)
 o Private e-mail
 o Protocols: XMODEM, ZMODEM, SeaLINK, KERMIT, ASCII

>2.  What would you like to see in a BBS? (i.e. non standard features)

Wish list:
 o Dial back users for higher security in CUG's
 o Permanently resident in background RAM so I can use PC for other stuff
 o Multi-user access

>3.  What do you really hate about your BBS?

No, I'm quite happy with it.

>4.  Anything you want to add.

My system runs on an Amstrad 1640 ECD (PC/XT clone, but far nicer),
with 640 kb RAM, 576 kb RAMPage! used as cache with Lightning,
2 x 32 Mb hard disks, multi-speed modem, 24 hours a day, free access.
I actively discourage pirated software, and try to moderate some
of the more exuberant callers.  The BBS software is Towernet by
S.J. Underwood (London), written in C and based around the Citadel
BBS stuff released a while back through C user's groups.  It is
truly PD (not shareware or crippleware), and the reason I'm posting
this as a public message and not E-mailing the response is to offer
it to anyone who wants it - but not over USEnet!  Please just send
two 360 kb formatted diskettes in a disk mailer to me and I will
send them back with Towernet - no charge!  An international
postage return certificate would help to defray my costs.

>Fernando Borcel
>borcelf@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
Good luck with your quest, Fernando!

--
Paul Gillingwater, Senior Consultant   Call my private BBS - Magic Tower,
Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd   NZ +64 4 753561 V21/V23 8N1 24hrs

leif@ambush.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (05/20/88)

borcelf@coil.cs.orst.edu (Fernando Borcel) writes:
>1.  What features do you consider STANDARD in a BBS? (eg transfer protocols,
>    networking capabilities, etc).
>2.  What would you like to see in a BBS? (i.e. non standard features)
>3.  What do you really hate about your BBS?
>4.  Anything you want to add.

>Please EMAIL me your answer!

Let the last come first - I tried to EMail you but it ended right back
between my ears - so here your (anybody) are! Paul Gillingwater
(Reference: <28@csnz.nz>) responded in the mean time, so I'll only add
some comments to his original posting.

I'm an sysop on a Opus v1.03b BBS and I'm quite happy with it but I
couldn't stop thinking that something maybe needed changing so I wrote
a letter about one month ago asking for ideas for WBBS (Worlds best
bulletin board system) and most of Gillingwater's points match with
the answer's I got, but! Opus can handle all the thing in
Gillingwater's letter except from Dial-back and resident in the
background (that need to much CPU-power to work!). Multiuser works ok!
But there is one thing he forgot - how the user and especially the
sysop have to communicate with the system. The Opus concept with
menues works very well but that's only because it is implemented so
well: You can have menues with 3 different help-level
          - The keyword with the whole word (ex: F)iles)
          - Only the keyword
          - Nothing
And you don't have to enter a letter and wait for the next menu, you
can enter a whole lot of keywords and then press return. The only
thing that happens (on the screen) is the apperance of the final menu
= easy for the new user and ease for the experiend user!

   Leif Andrew Rump, Ambrasoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
         UUCP: leif@ambush.dk, phone: +45 2424 111 - ABC BBS: +45 68 00 544

   "...with a liquid which was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."
                    - The Hitch hicker's Guide to the Galaxy