[net.music] Orphaned Response

mark (03/22/83)

#R:iwu1d:-10300:zinfandel:8500007:177600:186
zinfandel!mark    Mar 19 21:13:00 1983

Well, if we're taking votes, Jimmy Hendrix as warm-up for the Monkees
has just about got to be the strangest combination, even without seeing
the rest of the offerings.

Mark Wittenberg

dswankii@uok.UUCP (11/27/83)

#R:drufl:-67800:uok:5200001:37777777600:156
uok!dswankii    Nov  4 04:54:00 1983

Don't forget Klaus Voorman (I think that is how you spell it) who played
on almost all Harry Nilson albums.

				David Swank II
				!duke!uok!dswankii

andrew@inmet.UUCP (02/10/84)

#R:stolaf:-132700:inmet:6600083:000:155
inmet!andrew    Feb  8 15:55:00 1984

Yes, the pressings do bite it - especially at the price!  If Windham Hill
can come up with good pressings at normal prices, why can't American
Gramophone?

cdelliot@uokvax.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:decwrl:-576900:uokvax:4000011:37777777600:293
uokvax!cdelliot    Mar 13 06:22:00 1984

I've only heard one song by Max Webster played on the radio here in Oklahoma,
and it sounded like Rush did most of the background work (I don't remember the
name of the song).  Also, if you look U*e at the credits on Rush's album "A
Farewell to Kings"
System crashing, will finish later!

cdelliot@uokvax.UUCP (03/17/84)

#R:decwrl:-576900:uokvax:4000012:000:494
uokvax!cdelliot    Mar 14 00:56:00 1984

To finish up my response:

The credits on the inside cover of Rush's album "A Farewell to Kings"
lists Max Webster in some sort of capacity.

About three years back, I saw Rush play at the Myriad in Oklahoma City.
The warm up act was Max Webster.  I don't understand to this day why Rush
would associate themselves with Max Webster, he sounded terrible, but maybe
he just had an off night.  Anyway, I haven't heard anything of him since.

					C. D. Elliott

					uokvax!u!eecs!cdelliot

rgh@inmet.UUCP (03/17/84)

#R:ihuxi:-80900:inmet:6600101:177600:390
inmet!rgh    Mar 16 19:52:00 1984

The MIDI Specification Manual is available from the International
MIDI Association (nee MIDI Users Group), for $10.00.  They also
publish the IMA Bulletin, a monthly newsletter.  Membership gets
you both of these things -- but my source didn't say how much
the membership costs.  Their address is 8426 Vine Valley Dr.,
Sun Valley CA 91342.

Randy Hudson
{harpo, decvax!cca!ima} !inmet!rgh

andrew@inmet.UUCP (03/24/84)

#R:mit-eddi:-143300:inmet:6600104:000:739
inmet!andrew    Mar 22 11:12:00 1984

I don't believe any of the Archies were involved; it was basically the old
Buddah Records bubblegum crew.  The singers were Joey Levine, Artie Resnick,
and Kris Resnick, who had earlier recorded "Run Run Run" as the Third Rail.
My copy of the single (RCA 10056) credits Levine, Norman Dolph, and Paul
DiFranco as writers/producers.

The Archies were: Jeff Barry (who had written tons of 60's girl-group stuff
with ex-wife Ellie Greenwich), Ron Dante (The Detergents, The Cuff Links),
and Toni Wine (Carole Bayer Sager's early songwriting partner).

Speaking of bubblegum... did you know that much of the Banana Splits'
music was written and produced by Barry White?

Andrew W. Rogers, Intermetrics    ...{harpo|ima|esquire}!inmet!andrew

dsmith@uiucuxc.UUCP (04/26/84)

#R:hou2h:-39800:uiucuxc:30800017:000:140
uiucuxc!dsmith    Apr 26 07:56:00 1984

I don't think that its just his high voice that make people think
that he's gay; but then, its really nobody's business but his own,
is it.

rossen@uiucdcs.UUCP (05/01/84)

#R:hou2h:-39800:uiucdcs:10800043:000:222
uiucdcs!rossen    Apr 30 16:01:00 1984

The plastic surgery Michael Jackson had was a nose job.  He likes the way
his nose looks now better.  I don't think there's anything more complicated
to it.

---------
Ken in Champaign-Urbana
[pur-ee ihnp4]!uiucdcs!rossen

dsmith@uiucuxc.UUCP (05/01/84)

#R:hou2h:-39800:uiucuxc:30800018:000:95
uiucuxc!dsmith    May  1 09:33:00 1984

I think he had his eyes widened too.  (Why do I know all these facts
about Michael Jackson?!).

hartmann@uiucuxc.UUCP (06/12/84)

#R:gatech:-352600:uiucuxc:30800020:37777777600:389
uiucuxc!hartmann    Jun 11 21:23:00 1984

     Yes, this does meen another album from Al, unfortunately. I don't
remember the title of it off hand but it did have some other of his shoddy
parodies on it, e.g., "I lost at jeopardy" ( "Jeopardy" by Greg Kihn band),
along with an "original" which sounds stylistically stolen from the B-52's.
I have one request. Don't buy his schlock. I don't like seeing bad music
being encouraged.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/14/84)

{ I think I see what they mean }

What?  pusing on "Weird Al"?!  Oh dear!

He has his moments.  My only complaint about it is it is just like all
other comedy albums: "Funny once, cute twice, boring after that."

"Eat It"'s only redeeming feature was that, musically, it stayed close
to "Beat It."  It was like a re-release of "Beat it", so once you got
bored with "It doesn't matter if it's fresh or canned", you could still
enjoy the beat.

--
"It's still Billy Joel to me."                      Peter Merchant
             -- Al Yankovic

jad@hpfclo.UUCP (07/15/84)

> Like any DEADicated dead head I attended all three shows on the rocks
> (June 12-14). I would have to say that they were three of the hottest
> dead shows I have seen. True, the first sets on the 13th and 14th were
> rather short but I will always take quality over quanity.

	Oh, yeah, thanks for the songlist ... I'll compare it against
	mine to make sure I didn't miss any.  And yeah, I guess you
	could say I was DEADicated.  What's a couple of days of work,
	anyway?  Well, I could make up work on the weekends, but by then
	the Dead were long gone.

	Sorry I don't have tapes ... if any turn up I'd pay good money
	for a copy too.  I do have one thing ... news of the Indy Dead
	show -- mailed to me by a fellow DH at Purdue:

#>      I guess I should tell you what happened at Indy....  We thought we
#> had 20th row seats and it turned out we actually had 2nd row seats right
#> in front of the stage, such a bummer.....  The show was, needless to say,
#> great!  They played for about 3-3 1/2 hours!! And, they played Terapin!
#> It was excellent, I'd always wondered what it would sound like without
#> the horns, it was fantastic.  We're going to Alpine this friday to catch
#> two more shows.  (6 shows this summer!!)

	Enough to make me cry after three short sets at the Rocks.  But
	it wes a trip to see Bobby singing in the pouring rain ...

				--	john	  --

rjs@hpfclo.UUCP (rjs) (08/10/84)

[]
	My votes go for:

		Jimi Hendrix
		Tom McLaughlin
		Steve Howe
		Doc Watson
		Eric Clapton
		Duane Allman 	(Slide guitar only)

	I'm sure that few people would argue about the technical
	ability of Tom McLaughlin on guitar, but, when it comes to
	having some "feeling" in you music I don't think he comes close
	to someone like George Harrison. I sometimes wonder what is more
	important?

	I am also impressed with:

		Johnny Winter
		Pat Travers
		Jorma Kaukohen(sp?) (acoustical guitar only)

			Bob "I got those deep river blues" Schneider
			{ihnp4,hplabs}!hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

jsmcginn@uok.UUCP (09/05/84)

#R:houxf:-77400:uok:5200006:37777777600:91
uok!jsmcginn    Sep  5 11:35:00 1984

  One of my favorite guitarists which no one seems to know much about is

Alex Lifeson.

jsmcginn@uok.UUCP (09/05/84)

#R:uiucdcsb:10200039:uok:5200007:37777777600:140
uok!jsmcginn    Sep  5 12:04:00 1984

 Neal Peart writes only the lyrics for Rush.  Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee
 write the music.  This is true on about 95% of Rush's material.

bruce@hp-pcd.UUCP (bruce) (10/08/84)

Apparently Fresh Aire I is available on compact disc.  I have a catalog
that is advertising it.  I've never seen it in any store or I would
have purchased it on the spot.  The catalog has outragiously high prices
($16.95) so I won't buy it through them.  If anyone is interested, the
catalog company is:

	The Essentials Marketing
	P.O. Box 7724
	Eugene, Oregon 97401

It is item #1030.
Hopefully the American Gramaphone people will get their distribution
straightened and the disc will become available in all the stores soon.

-- Bruce Stephens
 (hplabs!hp-pcd!bruce)

benk@inmet.UUCP (11/16/84)

	I herewith second the motion for a net.music.zappa notesfile.

	... and for all those Captain Beefheart fans out there:
	how about a net.music.beefheart notesfile, eh?

	Bitfield Ben
	(inmet!benk)

dat@hpcnoe.UUCP (dat) (11/23/84)

	Speaking of the new Bowie album, according to his interview
with Rolling Stone, even HE wasn't too thrilled with the final sound
on the tapes...he also thought they were too 'lush' and had too much
going on.

	I guess thats what happens when you let the band control the
music, rather than an individual musician or singer....

					Dave

-----------
	:r /tmp/nf25200
	No!
	<press space to continue>

jgi3213@acf4.UUCP (11/28/84)

He's doing a lot of jingles these days, I think he's on a
Maxwell House ad too...

don mikkelsen

Carl@tgr.UUCP (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL-VLD.ARPA> (11/29/84)

To reply to a note by dat%hpcnoe.uucp:
I did hear a criticism of many modern serious composers: too much going
on.  As for popular music:
An example of not enough going on is Linda Ronstadt's version of
"Heat Wave": in the part where the title is sung, it is missing the
parallel 4ths found in the music in the corresponding part of Martha
& the Vandellas' version, c. 1963.  But "Talking in Your Sleep" by
the Romantics is a good recording because of the guitar part.

My current interest in "things going on" in the music is in the style
I knew on children's labels like Peter Pan and Cricket, where a typical
song would have a vocal, a rhythm guitar, and (brush-stroke?) percussion,
with the spice (of "things going on") provided by woodwind instruments.

dat@hpcnoe.UUCP (dat) (01/10/85)

	Actually, I feel that the main advantages of splintering
off and having more newsgroups are;

	1) Reduces the flow of messages on any individual group
	   (annoying as hell to type 'notes' and have 70+ messages
	   queued up to read, 99% of which I DON'T want to read)

	2) Allows more centralization and a more common thread of
	   interest in the postings (quite frankly I couldn't care
	   less about the origin of Heavy Metal, or any of the
	   other useless discussions (personal opinion) currently
	   taking up disc space in net.music!!) which also allows
	   a more organized group.

	3) Administration-wise - too bad!  Poll the users of your
	   machine and don't accept articles from groups that noone
	   reads!  Adding a new group will only add a few hundred
	   bytes to the disc space used, assuming that the same
	   number of messages are sent out, just split into interest
	   groups.

	Comments?

	(Personally, I vote for net.music.jazz AND net.music.rock, and
then think we should leave net.music for eclectic music and music that
doesn't fit into either folk, jazz, rock or classical.  This would
reduce the flow of notes in EACH group to a more manageable level)

			Dave Taylor
			Hewlett Packard - Colorado Networks Operation
			In Beautiful Downtown Fort Collins, Colorado

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (01/15/85)

  > 2. was that George Clinton on the synthesizer?

No that was Bernie Worell (sp.) who has played in both of George
Clinton's bands (Funkadelics and Parliament or P-Funk).

ag4@pucc-h (Angus Greiswald the fourth) (01/22/85)

> > When I saw Metheny in concert recently, I hadn't heard FIRST CIRCLE
> > yet; so I was completely floored when the group opened with 'Forward
> > March', literally marching down the aisles with their instruments and
> > doing a creditable impression of a high school marching band on LSD.

Dave Taylor:
>	Gee..sounds like a worthwhile effort for an otherwise good
> group.  Glad I didn't hear it!  (I did NOT like that tune at all!)

Dave, "not everyone agrees with everything," but I think you should give
'Forward March' another listen.  I think it's hilarious -- every high
school director's nightmare come true.  But then I suppose one has to have
been performing music for a while to really appreciate the humour.

--
"caterwaulingly wail for me baby!"

Jeff Lewis                                         vvvvvvvvvvvv
{decvax|ucbvax|allegra|seismo|harpo|teklabs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!lewie
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^

dat@hpcnoe.UUCP (dat) (01/22/85)

> SpyroGyra -- Catching the Sun
> Crusaders -- Street Life (that may not be the title)
> the album by Grover Washington Jr. with "Just the Two of Us" on it

Hokay, Catching the Sun is a decent album by the group SpyroGyra
(trivia time: anyone know where they got their name from? 10 points
for the first right answer by e-mail!)  But...I personally feel that
their first album, SpyroGyra (originally released on the Infinity
label, but now repressed (uh, re-pressed) on MCA due to Infinitys'
demise..., is by FAR the best stuff they ever came out with.

Hmmm...The album by the Crusaders (trivia two: name the first album
that this group came out with after they changed their name from the
'Jazz Crusaders'.  This ones easy, so it's only 5 points!) is in fact
called 'Street Life', and features, along with Felder, Sample and
Hooper (the group) Randy Crawford on vocals on the title track.  It's
good stuff for the more 'lush' music that this group can produce...

Finally, the album by Grover Washington Junior with the track
'Just the two of us' on it is called 'WineLight' and is a VEERRRRYYYY
mellow album...quite nice music to sit by the fire with a hot cocoa
in hand and whisper with someone you care about....(*sigh* what a
tranquil picture!)

		Any other questions, gentlepeople?

						Dave Taylor

						Colorado Networks Operation

also known as ..hpfcla!hpcnoe!veeger!eunich!{danger,premier,dat,root}
          and ..hpfcla!hpcnoe!{d_taylor,dat}
etc.etc.		(we have thousands of HP-UX machines here!)
			(well, hundreds....dozens???  Okay, I admit
			 it! We have one HP-150 MAX with 5 megabytes
			 of disk space and a VERY cunning uucp system!)

dat@hpcnoe.UUCP (dat) (01/23/85)

I most certainly did NOT say that 'Street Life' was the first album that
the Crusaders put out after they changed their name!  There were a number
of albums in the between times, including 'Southern Comfort' and 'Unsung Heroes'
...I wish our site kept notes for more than a day - I'd grab the original
reference!

					Dave Taylor

dat@hpcnoe.UUCP (dat) (01/28/85)

/***** hpcnoe:net.music / utah-gr!donn /  1:06 pm  Dec  4, 1984*/
Subject: Re: a sheaf of album reviews, most Jazz [actually about Pat Metheny]

> I'm not entirely sure why Dave seems to think FIRST CIRCLE is more
> derivative than Pat's other albums;

	Derivative??? What does this mean???

>                                     in particular Pat's first three
> albums with Lyle Mays -- WATERCOLORS, PAT METHENY GROUP, and AMERICAN
> GARAGE -- have distinct similarities (and dissimilarities!).  FIRST
> CIRCLE is certainly no more 'commercial' than PAT METHENY GROUP or
> AMERICAN GARAGE, which were both smash successes, by the way.

	I didn't mention those, did I?  I didn't really like either
of those albums either, actually...I also don't recall Lyle Mays
being on the Watercolors album..

>                                                                I'm
> having a hard time figuring out what Dave means by 'caterwauling
> wailing'; it's true that Metheny can make a guitar synthesizer sound
> like a large feline undergoing vivisection without anesthesia (for
> instance in 'The Calling' on the album REJOICING) but there's little of
> that on FIRST CIRCLE

	well....

>                      (too bad -- I actually like it, most of the
> time).

	Someone was bound to, I guess...

>         Perhaps Dave is referring to Pedro Aznar's vocals, but if so I
> don't understand why Dave would think they were any stranger than Nana
> Vasconcelos' vocals on earlier albums...

	Listen to it again, okay?  Then ask that question...(besides,
when Vasconcelos goes wild he gets pretty damn strange itself)

> When I saw Metheny in concert recently, I hadn't heard FIRST CIRCLE
> yet; so I was completely floored when the group opened with 'Forward
> March', literally marching down the aisles with their instruments and
> doing a creditable impression of a high school marching band on LSD.

	Gee..sounds like a worthwhile effort for an otherwise good
group.  Glad I didn't hear it!  (I did NOT like that tune at all!)

> When they played 'The First Circle' they did a beautiful job with a
> beautiful piece, and their obvious enthusiasm for it swept the
> audience.  When I bought the album later I was treated to a delicious
> little thrill by the magnificent photograph on the back that finally
> made the connection in my mind (if you haven't seen the picture, try to
> guess what it shows...).  Other nice pieces on FIRST CIRCLE are 'Take
> It All', which combines pop and blues, and 'Yolanda, You Learn', a
> straightforward fusion piece by a band that knows how to do it right.

		Oh well, I guess not everyone agrees with everything!

					Dave Taylor

myeksie@uokvax.UUCP (01/29/85)

Interesting,

A guy at the record store told me he heard that they were discontinuing
"The Wall" on CD.  Maybe I should try and find it.  I do have WYWH and
DSotM on CD.  It would be interesting if they do become collectors items

"Is there anybody IN there?

Mark Yeskie

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (02/17/85)

			  Which version?

	      Van Morrison's?
	      Patti Smith's?    <----- A truly fine version
	      Jimi Hendrix's?

       P.S. I have a 45 of Van Morrison's Gloria with Gloria
	    on both sides despite the label saying there should be
	    a different B-side. Is this worth anything?

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (02/26/85)

	 Jah love, mon!  Yellowman make a rastamon smile.

joan@ISM780.UUCP (03/02/85)

     BTW, is anybody gonna post a list of who won what for those
  of us who didn't catch the awards show??

			Joan "the VMS group is moving mountains" Alexander
			Interactive Systems
			Santa Monica, CA

       NEW ADDRESS!! >> decvax!cca!ima!ism780!alexander

     "Opinions expressed herein were not mine originally, but
      were forced on me at gunpoint by the Interactive Systems
      Corporation"

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (03/08/85)

/***** hpfclo:net.music / fritz!john /  9:24 pm  Feb 27, 1985*/
I think the bassist in question was actually Timothy B. Schmidt, who
replaced Randy Meisner in the later seventies.  Schmidt is formerly
of Poco fame.  I am unaware of any recent material by him.

John Gilbert
..!trwrb!felix!john
/* ---------- */

Meisner was originally in Poco and when he left Schmidt replaced him.
Fast forward a few years later and the same thing happened only the
band was the Eagles. Deja vu.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

fritz@hpfclp.UUCP (fritz) (04/17/85)

> /***** hpfclp:net.music / ucbvax!yee /  2:48 am  Apr  1, 1985*/
> Anybody out there know anything about a band called "Fritz" from the
> early 70's? This has nothing to do with Walter Mondale, it was a band
> in San Francisco, featuring Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks in their
> pre-Fleetwood Mac days.  Send reply to cohn@ucbcory.BERKELEY.ARPA or
> to danl@ucbugs.BERKELEY.ARPA.  Thanks.  Fleetwood Mac rules.
> /* ---------- */

I've never heard of it, but I'd like to!  :-)

The only band I knew of that Lindsey and Stevie were in prior to FM
was Buckingham Nicks.

Gary Fritz  (no relation to the band!)
Hewlett Packard
Ft Collins, CO
{ihnp4,hplabs}!hpfcla!fritz

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (05/08/85)

 There are ten zillion songs that fit into this category, but
I'll just contribute a few.

Nantucket Sleighride - Mountain
Any side of Tales From Topographic Oceans - Yes
Karn Evil #9 - ELP (I think this was mentioned)
The Illinois Enema Bandit,
Yo' Mama,
Little Old House I used to Live in,
Easy Meat, etc. - Frank Zappa
The Battle of Epping Forest,
Supper's Ready - Genesis
Echos - Pink Floyd
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull

(and the list goes on)

			-- Chan Benson
			Hewlett-Packard Company
			{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!chan

dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) (05/11/85)

	For good Jazz harmonica, try picking up an old 'Tools Theilman'
album....I can't think of any titles off hand....

			Dave "Jazz or Die II" Taylor

rs@mirror.UUCP (05/13/85)

"Plastic Jesus" comes from the Righteous Brothers.
It's on their "Souled Out" album, from the 60's, I think.
I don't have the album nearby, but remember the liner notes
saying how audiences used to walk out at performances of
that number

--------
Rich $alz			...!mit-eddie   \
Mirror Systems			...!ihnp4!inmet   \
2067 Massachusetts Ave.		...!wjh12          +-- !mirror!rs
Cambridge, MA  02140		...!cca           /
617-661-0777			...!datacube     /

rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean) (06/29/85)

> Enough, Enough, ENOUGH!!!!!   I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT KATE
> BUSH!!!!!!!!

> 						Russell Spence
> 						ihnp4!ihuxf!russ
> 						AT&T Technologies
> 						Naperville, IL

Amen to that! And add Rush to the list of groups/performers that I'm sick
and tired of hearing about.

On the flip side, a while back there was a discussion on the various
albums by Kitaro which has long since expired. I would like to hear
from anyone with a collection of Kitaro about what they feel are the
better albums of the bunch. I was about to buy one (I really don't
know what the music is like, only that everyone was very positive)
when I saw that there are around ten or so. So I held off buying any
of them. Please use e-mail. Thanks in advance.

Bruce Rodean
Hewlett-Packard Co.
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/04/85)

> From: rodean@hpfclo.UUCP (rodean)

>> Enough, Enough, ENOUGH!!!!!   I AM SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT KATE
>> BUSH!!!!!!!!

> Amen to that! ....

> On the flip side, a while back there was a discussion on the various
> albums by Kitaro which has long since expired. I would like to hear
> from anyone with a collection of Kitaro about what they feel are the
> better albums of the bunch.

Kitaro is good.  It's too bad you can't appreciate all things of
quality.  And it's not polite to tell other people to shut up.  "Silk
Road" by Kitaro is a fine album, so you can't go too wrong by purchasing
that one.  Get it, listen to it, enjoy it, then FUCK OFF AND DIE!

				Regards,

				Doug Alan
				 nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (rodean) (07/22/85)

Re: Ripping off Prince

Frankly I don't see why anyone would want to rip off Prince (for the
most part). I'd surmise that about 30% of '1999' is good to great
(Side 1 can't be beat!), but then there's another 30% that's merely
mediocre, and the remainder is just total trash. I don't think that I
have really seriously listened to 'Purple Rain' since the day I taped
it. So I'll forego comment on that album. It might be better; but then
again it might be worse.

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

rjs@hpfcla.UUCP (rjs) (07/26/85)

About a year ago MTV claimed that Asia had dropped their bass player and
picked up Greg Lake. Personally I think that Greg Lake is the best male
vocalist that I have ever heard, so needless to say I was anxiously
awaiting their new album. Within the last few months ( I don't recall
which issue) Rolling Stone mentioned that the only change was the
guitarist and that their new albun should be out sometime this summer.

Bob Schneider
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/28/85)

> Frankly I don't see why anyone would want to rip off Prince (for the
> most part).

Your opinion is a moot point.  Somebody did and admitted to it.

> I'd surmise that about 30% of '1999' is good to great
> (Side 1 can't be beat!), but then there's another 30% that's merely
> mediocre, and the remainder is just total trash.

The part stolen from WAS the title track on side one, and the remaining
sides do offer some great cuts "D.M.S.R.", "Something in the Water",
"Automatic", "Let's Pretend We're Married", "Lady Cab Driver", "All the
Critics Love U in NY".
--
"Because love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows but me."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (08/02/85)

In article <52600030@hpfclo.UUCP> rjs@hpfcla.UUCP (rjs) writes:
>About a year ago MTV claimed that Asia had dropped their bass player and
>picked up Greg Lake. Personally I think that Greg Lake is the best male
>vocalist that I have ever heard, so needless to say I was anxiously
>awaiting their new album. Within the last few months ( I don't recall
>which issue) Rolling Stone mentioned that the only change was the
>guitarist and that their new albun should be out sometime this summer.
>
>Bob Schneider
>{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

Asia has a new guitarist?  What happened to Steve Howe?

____

" Let there be songs to fill the air ... "

____
				Rea Simpson
				Lawrence Livermore Labs L-306
				P.O. Box 808
				Livermore, CA  94550
				(415) 423-0910

{dual, gymble, sun, mordor}!lll-crg!simpson
simpson@lll-crg.ARPA

davida@umd5.UUCP (08/02/85)

> About a year ago MTV claimed that Asia had dropped their bass player and
> picked up Greg Lake. Personally I think that Greg Lake is the best male
> vocalist that I have ever heard, so needless to say I was anxiously
> awaiting their new album. Within the last few months ( I don't recall
> which issue) Rolling Stone mentioned that the only change was the
> guitarist and that their new albun should be out sometime this summer.
>
> Bob Schneider
> {ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

Well, I don't know the exact details of the switch, but Greg Lake plays
both bass and guitar, so it will add to the versatility of the group.
H_ll, it COULDN'T hurt !  In my opinion, Asia was worse than Boston
in the all-songs-sound-the-same category!!!

Ok, now you can flame ...
--
David Arnold
University of Maryland

apt@inmet.UUCP (08/12/85)

Actually, the album is "A Night at the Opera", a companion to
"A Day at the Races".

			-=:| Alan Taylor |:=-

			      ...harpo!inmet!apt
			      ...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!apt
			      ...yale-comix!ima!inmet!apt

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (08/16/85)

> Actually, the album is "A Night at the Opera", a companion to
> "A Day at the Races".
>	 			-=:| Alan Taylor |:=-

Let us not forget that they were also both named after "Marx Bros." films.

--
 [ Why pander life's complexities,
            when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat - The Smiths ]

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (09/20/85)

just a little nitpicking marcel, I believe that Gonsalves died in the
early 70's.....72 or 73 I think.....
ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger

rodean@hpfcla.UUCP (10/02/85)

More nitpicking on albums allegedly voted for only once. I only
happened to catch this one because they were on the same screenful.

Here's another album listed twice:

> Turner, Tina - Private Dancer - 14
> Turner, Tina - Private Dancer - 13

Bruce Rodean
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!rodean

mpm@hpfcla.UUCP (10/02/85)

     Didn't I see Led Zeppelin II twice in the list?  (It's too long
to go back and check, and I'm SO lazy 8-).)

                         -- Mike "nitpicking today" McCarthy
                            (ihnp4!hpfcla!hpfcms!) mpm

mpm@hpfcla.UUCP (10/12/85)

Re:  Top Ten ALbums List

     I, for one, found the list of top albums of interest, and not because
it legitimized my own tastes.  (It didn't.)  I have discovered some excel-
lent music (that I would have otherwise ignored) by listening to what other
people have recommended.

     I like a great deal of the music named in the survey, but I don't think
that I suffer from tunnel vision.  For instance, in the last year I have
added the following to my collection:

     Bink Floyd (Wish You Were Here),
     Barbra Streisand,
     Tangerine Dream (Exit, Stratosfear, Force Majeure, ...),
     A Clockwork Orange (soundtrack),
     Mystic Moods Orchestra (Stormy Night),
     Air Supply,
     Lee Greenwood (Somebody's Gonna Love You), /* COUNTRY! */
     Sibelius (Finlandia), /* CLASSICAL */
     Roxy Music (Avalon),
     George Winston (December),
     Kitaro (Silver Cloud),
     Flashdance (soundtrack),
     etc.

     Admittedly my tastes run to "mainstream" popular music, but not to
the exclusion of all else.  (I have not, however, found anyone else with
as eclectic tastes as my own.)

                       -- Mike "variety is ... (you know)" McCarthy
                          (ihnp4!hpfcla!) mpm

verify@hpfcla.UUCP (10/18/85)

 	SHRIEKBACK:  In one short sentence, I'd say they sound like a
synthesized Gang Of Four.  Actually at least one member of Shriekback
is an ex-member of Gang Of Four.  I happened to pick up their first
album by chance.  I found it in a bargain bin at Target for $2.50.
What a deal!  Back to the music... The first side of the album is real
good.  A couple of songs you may have heard are 'My spine is the baseline'
and 'All lined up'.  The second side doesn't go anywhere.  Shriekback's
style can be described as serious dance music.  They are not a synthesizer
pop band like Human League.  Their music is not romantic, soft like Simple
Minds'.  But they do play some good music.  Shriekback has a second album
out now.  I haven't heard it so I don't know if they have made any big
changes to their musical style.  Personally I prefer Simple Minds.

					Dave L.