[comp.sys.mac] Mac to PC and back via 3.5"

pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul gilna) (05/17/88)

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I believe there exists
a board for the PC which sits between the disk controller
and a 3.5" drive allowing a PC to read/write mac floppies.
Something like Copy II options board.
If I'm on the right track, any info, impressions etc would
be greatly appreciated.

cheers,	paul.

--
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,   BITNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
Analogue: (312) 702-6971                VOICE:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (05/17/88)

In article <4251@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul  gilna) writes:
> I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I believe there exists
> a board for the PC which sits between the disk controller
> and a 3.5" drive allowing a PC to read/write mac floppies.
> Something like Copy II options board.
> If I'm on the right track, any info, impressions etc would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> cheers,	paul.

Its the COPY II PC Deluxe Option Board by Central Point Software.
It can be installed in a PC, PC/XT, PC/AT, or 100% compatible (even
an AT&T PC6300!) and connected to a 3.5" drive.  It supports the 720K
and 1.44meg IBM formats, and the 800K and 400K Macintosh formats.  It
can format, read and write disks.  It comes with software that allows
you to copy, format and such (MCOPY and MDIR for Mac format disks).  It
installs in a 1/2 slot, you connect the cables that are normally attached
to your A or B drive (your choice) to the option board.  Then connect
the option board's cables to the 3.5" drive.  It intercepts the signals
sent to the drive and does the right things to them depending on the
disk in the drive and the commands sent.   You may boot from the 3.5"
drive if it is the A drive.  It costs $159 and you can buy it direct
from Central Point (503-244-6036) or from a retailer.

No endorsement intended, I'm looking at an ad for the thing and I have
called Central Point to verify the above.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/20/88)

In article <2169@homxc.UUCP> rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
...In article <4251@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul  gilna) writes:
...> I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I believe there exists
...> a board for the PC which sits between the disk controller
...> and a 3.5" drive allowing a PC to read/write mac floppies.
...> Something like Copy II options board.
...> If I'm on the right track, any info, impressions etc would
...> be greatly appreciated.
...>
...> cheers,	paul.
...Its the COPY II PC Deluxe Option Board by Central Point Software.
...It can be installed in a PC, PC/XT, PC/AT, or 100% compatible (even
...an AT&T PC6300!) and connected to a 3.5" drive.

Even a PS/2 25 or 30!  But beware!  My wife ordered one and they sent
her the XT version (the PS/2 requires a special cable, included at
apparently no extra cost).

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/21/88)

 It _IS_ the Copy II options board.. Or at least one of them.  I suggest you
take a look at the recent IBM magazines and Mac newsweeklies, where it is
mentioned at least 3 or 4 times.