[comp.sys.mac] REsolved: "There is nothing to choose" trouble

matthews@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dave Matthews) (05/18/88)

>All of a sudden I'm getting the message "There is nothing to choose on the
>startup disk" when I try to use the Chooser.  This has happened to two of my
>startup disks now.  They're stuck in ImageWriter mode, apparently
>irreversibly.  Replacing the LaserWriter, Laser Prep, ImageWriter, System
>and Finder with fresh copies from disks that work doesn't help.  Changing
>machines doesn't help.  Disconnecting/connecting Appletalk doesn't help.
>Has anybody ever seen this problem before?
>
>(This is on Mac+'s and 512E's under System 3.2, nothing fancy.)

The problem was "Set Startup".  On both of these disks I had recently set
the application (in one case it was WriteNow, the other MacDraw) to start up
immediately on booting, instead of the Finder or Minifinder.  Apparently
when this happens the Chooser doesn't know it should look in the System
Folder to find the printer drivers.  The problem can be fixed by exiting to
the Minifinder and restarting the application (without rebooting).  Or by
moving all the system files out of the System Folder, onto the desktop with
the application.

I nominate this for Bug of the Week, especially if it still exists in the
current versions.  Thanks to Scott Douglass of Apple Computer for providing
the vital clue.

- Dave Matthews
  ARPA:matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu             BITNET:matthews@crnlthry
  USENET:...{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!batcomputer!matthews

dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (05/20/88)

Well, I have a possible answer for you, but I don't know the name of the file.
There should be a file in your system folder similar to the notepad file that
contains information about what you have chosen with the chooser. This is why
replacing all the laserwriter stuff and the system and finder doesn't seem
to help-- the file that contains chooser specific stuff is still there! If
you blow this file away, things should be alright. Note also that this file
may be invisible, so you will need ResEdit or something like that to
manipulate it. 2-nite I will look and see if I can determine the name of the
file, and post it tomorrow. Does anybody have a more specific answer than
this??

Dave Waller
Technical Computer Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/21/88)

In article <440011@hpdstma.HP.COM> dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:
>There should be a file in your system folder similar to the notepad file that
>contains information about what you have chosen with the chooser. This is why
>replacing all the laserwriter stuff and the system and finder doesn't seem
>to help-- the file that contains chooser specific stuff is still there! If
>you blow this file away, things should be alright. Note also that this file
>may be invisible, so you will need ResEdit or something like that to
>manipulate it.

  Well Apple's Documenation was no help what so ever in this case.  I had to
look it up in "Macintosh Programming Secrets" by Scott Knaster.  The chooser
does not manipulate a file, but it changes a resource in the system file.
'STR ' -8192 will contain the name of the currently selected printer.  After
retrieving that name from the string you can then open the file of the same
name and rumage around inside it to find out additional information about the
printer.  Mr. Knaster gives a very good description of how to do this and
I recommend the book highly.
  The nothing to choose problem might result if the choose is smart enough
to look and see if the system file is locked, hence not allowing any
modifications to be made.  Since it has to store the current printer name in
the system file, if it is locked it can't do this, so it might give up with
the error message you saw.
  Hope this helps!!!

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (05/22/88)

In article <2780@polyslo.UUCP> dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes:

>The chooser
>does not manipulate a file, but it changes a resource in the system file.
>'STR ' -8192 will contain the name of the currently selected printer.  After

I hope this feature is fixed in a later system distribution:  Having the
choose change the system file is bad -- if you choose a different printer
then the system file is has been modified, which means that the next time
you do a hard disk backup the system file needs to be backed up.  A stripped
down system is still a big file!

Christopher Chow
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699   Address: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853   |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |