[comp.sys.mac] Math Word Processing

raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) (05/18/88)

I would like to reiterate some points discussed in earlier
submissions on Math typesetting for the Mac. Hopefully FullWrite
and/or Nissus (even Word?) might include these in future releases.

Aside from display equations (which a DA can handle well enough),
a mathematician needs to imbed limited symbol constructs in
paragraph text. To do this, two features already implemented in
LaserAuthor (the only good things in that programme) should not be
that hard to put into any other WP programme.

	(1) multiple (adjustable?) levels of sub- and super-scripts. The
adjustment might be necessary if the default settings are not
correct as in Word. (Anyone know how to FEdit these values for
Word? The workarounds that I know are very time consuming and
unnatural.)

	(2) Intuitive CHARACTER overstrike capability (LaserAuthor used
COMMAND-backspace between the characters). This would allow writing
e.g. NOT less than, and x sub i super j in paragraph text easily.

	(3) a general wish would be macros and command-key assignment
(which means the programme must not gobble up all possible
assignments for obscure power user capabilities. Are you listening
Word?)

Does anyone know of a WP package with these minor :-) abilities?

	Alan Day

dm2w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Bradley Meade) (05/20/88)

Day) on 18 May 88:

>       Aside from display equations (which a DA can handle well enough),
>       a mathematician needs to imbed limited symbol constructs in
>       paragraph text. To do this, two features already implemented in
>       LaserAuthor (the only good things in that programme) should not be
>       that hard to put into any other WP programme.
>

>               (1) multiple (adjustable?) levels of sub- and super-scripts. The
>       adjustment might be necessary if the default settings are not
>       correct as in Word. (Anyone know how to FEdit these values for
>       Word? The workarounds that I know are very time consuming and
>       unnatural.)

I have been successfully and painlessly using WriteNow with Expressionist (or
MathWriter) to do mathematical word processing on a MacPlus with one external
800K drive.  WriteNow, from T/Maker, allows for equations to be imbedded in
text and has an unlimited number of subscript/superscript levels (the scale
appears to be on the order of a pixel).

>               (2) Intuitive CHARACTER overstrike capability (LaserAuthor used
>       COMMAND-backspace between the characters). This would allow writing
>       e.g. NOT less than, and x sub i super j in paragraph text easily.

Either equation processor will handle overstrike characters with ease.

>               (3) a general wish would be macros and command-key assignment
>       (which means the programme must not gobble up all possible
>       assignments for obscure power user capabilities. Are you listening
>       Word?)

I am told, but have no personal experience, that Quikeys is a good solution.

>       Does anyone know of a WP package with these minor :-) abilities?

I hope that these suggestions are useful and appropriate.  I would like to hear
your comments about this setup and welcome alternate proposals.

Doug Meade
dm2w+@andrew.cmu.edu

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (05/21/88)

In article <380@thunder.UUCP>, raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) writes:
> 	(1) multiple (adjustable?) levels of sub- and super-scripts. The
> adjustment might be necessary if the default settings are not
> correct as in Word. (Anyone know how to FEdit these values for
> Word? The workarounds that I know are very time consuming and
> unnatural.)
FullWrite already seems to provide this capability by allowing you to raise or
lower selected text in 1 pixel increments.  While this probably doesn't satisfy
the request in all its generality, it would seem that it answers the majority
of those requests.

> 	(2) Intuitive CHARACTER overstrike capability (LaserAuthor used
> COMMAND-backspace between the characters). This would allow writing
> e.g. NOT less than, and x sub i super j in paragraph text easily.
While a more intuitive approach is definitely needed, the same result can be
achieved in FullWrite by using the kerning control that is provided.  While
the more common case needs a better metaphor, this does provide extra
flexibility.

> 	(3) a general wish would be macros and command-key assignment
> (which means the programme must not gobble up all possible
> assignments for obscure power user capabilities. Are you listening
> Word?)
I use QuicKeys for this sort of thing and never actually desired much in the
way of macros beyond what it provides.  Since QK overrides the program's use,
it is seldom a problem.

> Does anyone know of a WP package with these minor :-) abilities?

As you see from the above, FullWrite Professional does a pretty fair job of
meeting your requests (although it is not necessarily obvious that the capa-
bility is present) and the addition of QuicKeys makes it a very well-rounded
environment.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Macintosh Division
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  Opinions expressed above are those of the author.

raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) (05/23/88)

Since I don't know yet how to do the quoting of previous notes, I hope
I can fill in as necessary the quoted articles.

Doug Meade writes:
> WriteNow, from T/Maker, allows for equations to be imbedded in
> text and has an unlimited number of subscript/superscript levels (the scale
> appears to be on the order of a pixel).

This I must look at!! To be able to **CONTINUE** going up or down
via pressing the suitable sub- or super- Command Key is exactly what I
would desire. One needs of course a Baseline Command Key as well to return
to normal level. The FullWrite Demo that I have seen does NOT allow
CONTINUOUS sub- and super- ing via the Command Keys. It did allow
adjustment of UNIQUE level though.

Dennis Cohen writes (on Overstriking):
> While a more intuitive approach is definitely needed, the same result can be
> achieved in FullWrite by using the kerning control that is provided.  While

I have only seen a FW demo with no documentation (a "borrowed" copy :-)). The
person from Ashton-Tate who returned my telephone inquiry (a BIG +!) did
not suggest any possible implementation. That was probably because I could
explain what I wanted less tersely over the phone. Ease of use is crucial!
Again let me stress that this feature is needed for IN PARAGRAPH use.

> I use QuicKeys for this sort of thing and never actually desired much in the
> way of macros beyond what it provides.  Since QK overrides the program's use,
> it is seldom a problem.

I have Tempo I, and will probably upgrade or get QuicKeys when I can afford
and justify a Mac II (RSN!). Yet I do not see why any powerful program can
NOT provide a specialized (and hence better??) macro & Command Key package
internally. Maybe software companies should license the code for one of
the above packages and adapt it internally in their products?

Alan Day
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Lakehead University
Thunder Bay, Ontario

P.S. FullWrite looks very good in other ways though (sigh).