[comp.sys.mac] PC Drive

hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (05/19/88)

Hi all...

   I just bought a 5.25" PC drive and controller for my Mac II.  Yes, I know
that $400 for a 360k drive is exhorbitant, but I needed the connectivity.  My
question is this:  Why doesn't the MacOS know about the drive.  I mean, why
can't I use it as a Standard Mac drive.  Is it only useable with 3rd party stuff
like SoftPC??  Does any Apple stuff recognize it??

For $400 I would also have expected it to be at least a 720k drive like the $75
ones you find for the PC/XT world.  Could I change the drive to a 720k one??

===========

Totally different vein......I removed my color startup screen and my system
memory usage, which was at 313k used in a heap of 870k, went to 313k used in a
heap of 313k, so the startup problem REALLY is a major memory hog bug!!!

Phil Hunt

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/19/88)

In article <8805182013.AA24460@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>   I just bought a 5.25" PC drive and controller for my Mac II.  Yes, I know
>question is this:  Why doesn't the MacOS know about the drive.  I mean, why

   The program Apple File Exchange included with the last system release
 can talk to the drive.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (05/20/88)

In article <8805182013.AA24460@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>   I just bought a 5.25" PC drive and controller for my Mac II.  Yes, I know
>that $400 for a 360k drive is exhorbitant, but I needed the connectivity.  My
>question is this:  Why doesn't the MacOS know about the drive.  I mean, why
>can't I use it as a Standard Mac drive.  Is it only useable with 3rd party stuff
>like SoftPC??  Does any Apple stuff recognize it??

Yes, the Apple File Exchange program, which you will find on the
4-disk System Tools and Utilities distribution, is what you use to
access that drive.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/23/88)

  The drives I've seen set-up work indepedently of any software except
Apple's system.  Do you have it connected to the right SCSI device?