[comp.sys.mac] Getting means and standard deviations out of CricketGraph

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/23/88)

	Does anybody know how to get mean and standard deviation from
CrickGraph?  You can do Z-scores which CricketGraph defines as (X - Mean) /
Standard_Deviation; it obviously calculates the mean and s.d. but the damn
program won't let you see them!

	What I really want to do is this:  I've got some data sets with
several observations of Y for each X.  I'd like to take the data in the
first 4 columns below and generate (as opposed to calculating myself and
entering) the last 2 columns, then do a line plot of X vs. Yavg using sd-Y
for Y error bars.

	X	Y1	Y2	Y3	Yavg	sd-Y

	1	10	10	12	10.67	1.155
	2	20	25	22	22.33	2.517
	3	31	32	30	31.00	1.000

	A similarly useful thing to do would be to get the range of the Ys
and use that for the error bars.  Should I break down and admit that this
is out of CricketGraph's league and get a real spreadsheet?  Another useful
thing would be to have non-symmetric error bars (as in "IBM closed at 14-1/2
with a high of 14-7/8 and a low of 14-3/8").  Any way to make CricketGraph
do that?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (05/24/88)

In article <3280@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	Does anybody know how to get mean and standard deviation from
>CrickGraph?  You can do Z-scores which CricketGraph defines as (X - Mean) /
>Standard_Deviation; it obviously calculates the mean and s.d. but the damn
>program won't let you see them!
TS GRaph does what you want to do. This is a superior graphing program
to Cricket in many ways, and the last time I checked, only cost $15.
Try calling BAKA industries at 607/257-2070, a local mac shop that
is carrying TS Graph.
Or send me mail if you have other questions.

>--
>Roy Smith, System Administrator
>Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
>{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy@uunet.uu.net
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853