[comp.sys.mac] Huh?

dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (05/13/88)

Thanks to everyone who replied to me via E-mail about the Desktop file --
it has been very illuminating as well as useful. FYI here is additional
info about the other invisible file I found on my HD:

It's name is InvisHDBo3bMain, and it seems to be related to a shareware
DA I pulled off of com.binaries.mac a wekk or so ago called DiscLock. I
imagine that it has something to do with locking the hard disc.

avalon@ssyx (Scott A. McIntyre) (05/14/88)

+-In article <440009@hpdstma.HP.COM>, dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) wrote:-
+----------
>Thanks to everyone who replied to me via E-mail about the Desktop file --
>it has been very illuminating as well as useful. FYI here is additional
>info about the other invisible file I found on my HD:
>
>It's name is InvisHDBo3bMain, and it seems to be related to a shareware
>DA I pulled off of com.binaries.mac a wekk or so ago called DiscLock. I
>imagine that it has something to do with locking the hard disc.
+----------

   That file is a invisible record of backups that you have done on your
hard drive.  If you use Apple's HD backup program, it will create this file
as a record of when you last did backups, like a date stamp, so you can
do a local backup, and not a global.

   I use Fastback, as far as I know, it does not make a invisible file, if it
bothers you that it exists.  Plus, Fastback is just that - fast.  I recently
like last night, had a MAJOR problem with my mac.  Somehow, an invisible file
was taking up quite a bit of space, namely, 3 megs.  I could not locate the
file with ANY utility program that I own, so I backed up with Fastback,
reformatted, and restored...no problem!  The whole process took about an hour.

Hope this helps,
Scott

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
		avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu		ARPA/Internet \

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/14/88)

In article <440009@hpdstma.HP.COM> dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:
>It's name is InvisHDBo3bMain, and it seems to be related to a shareware
>DA I pulled off of com.binaries.mac a wekk or so ago called DiscLock. I
>imagine that it has something to do with locking the hard disc.

  I've also seen this file after using HFS backup, I think.

David M. O'Rourke

| dorourke@polyslo | Disclaimer:  All opinions in this message are mine, but  |
|                  |              if you like them they can be yours too.     |
|                  |              Besides I'm just a student so what do I     |
|                  |              know!                                       |
|    When you have to place a disclaimer in your mail you know it's a sign    |
| that there are TOO many Lawyer's.                                           |

6029334@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert G. Trevor) (05/15/88)

In article <440009@hpdstma.HP.COM>, dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:

>Thanks to everyone who replied to me via E-mail about the Desktop file --
>it has been very illuminating as well as useful. FYI here is additional
>info about the other invisible file I found on my HD:
>
>It's name is InvisHDBo3bMain, and it seems to be related to a shareware
>DA I pulled off of com.binaries.mac a wekk or so ago called DiscLock. I

I think that you'll find its created by the Apple supplied hard disk
backup utility.  To convince yourself, make a copy of it and look at
it with a text editor (after changing it to visible).  From memory it
contains the date of the last backup.

Rob Trevor
MaBell: (609) 452-4051
Bitnet: 6029334@PUCC
UseNet: 6029334@PUCC.Princeton.Edu

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/15/88)

>It's name is InvisHDBo3bMain, and it seems to be related to a shareware

  This is the file made by HDBackup when you backup your harddisk. This is how ittells when the last time you backed up you harddisk and when so it can do
incrementals. (The program was written by Bo3b, incedentally.
Pierce WEtter

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

alan@Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (05/16/88)

That file is created by the "HD Backup" program when you back up
your hard disk.  Its job is to identify the last date and time a
backup was performed.  It is NOT a virus file, unless someone has
cleverly designed a virus to use a file of that name to hold their
little bombshell.  Perhaps a little poking around with ResEdit
will tell the tale?

alan

--
Alan Mimms			My opinions are generally
Communications Products Group	pretty worthless, but

freek@uva.UUCP (Freek Wiedijk) (05/19/88)

In article <6546@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
>(The program was written by Bo3b, incedentally.
>Pierce WEtter

Incidental question: why is this person called "Bo3b" instead of "Bob"?
Has it something to do with MacinTalk?
I asked myself this same question when I read tech. notes 134 and 139.

--
Freek Wiedijk  <the pistol major>                  UUCP: uunet!mcvax!uva!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (05/20/88)

!
!Incidental question: why is this person called "Bo3b" instead of "Bob"?
!Freek Wiedijk  <the pistol major>                  UUCP: uunet!mcvax!uva!freek

I believe the "3" is silent.  (Possibly from an old Tom Lehrer song.)

Shane Looker
shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu
uunet!umix!pepe.cc.umich.edu!shane
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (05/20/88)

I think Bo3b himself mentioned (in tech tidbits, i think..?) that its
pronounnced "Bob" and that the "3" is silent.    Very "Californian".

	:-)
	David

David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
MCIMail: DSpector				New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer can do work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."

sqphil@csvax.liv.ac.uk (05/24/88)

In article <650022@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU>, spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:

> I think Bo3b himself mentioned (in tech tidbits, i think..?) that its
> pronounnced "Bob" and that the "3" is silent.    Very "Californian".
>

> 	:-)
> 	David

> David HM Spector				New York University
> Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
> Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
> UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
> MCIMail: DSpector				New York, New York 10006
> AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
> "What computer can do work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."

Try listening to a piece by Tom Lehrer (in his album "An Evening Wasted
With Tom Lehrer" from the 1960's) in which he describes somebody known
as Henry. "Henry was an individualist. He spelled his name  H E N 3 R Y.
- the three was silent you see." As I recall Hen3ry was taken away
to the Massachusetts State Home For The Bewildered..." Sorry about the
spellings and stuff, but I don't have a dictionary handy...  just before
they took him he uttered the following line...

"Life is Like a sewer - what you get out of it depends on what you put into
it" - Tom Lehrer.

Phil Jimmieson,           ****************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET : SQPHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX                   *
Liverpool University,     * UUCP  : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!SQPHIL *
Merseyside, England,      * ARPA  : SQPHIL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  *
(UK) 051-709-6022 x 2501

Disclaimer: Nobody around here listens to a word I say _anyway_ ...

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (05/24/88)

#
#Incidental question: why is this person called "Bo3b" instead of "Bob"?
#Has it something to do with MacinTalk?
#I asked myself this same question when I read tech. notes 134 and 139.
#
#--
#

As far as I've heard....

when you have MacinTalk pronounce Bo3b, it comes out something
like Booooob (as in: 'I need you here, right away')

Kind of a desperate cry for that person. Seems like he was very
well know for all the people in the Apple building crying out for
him when they needed something.

But I could be mistaken...
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"