[comp.sys.mac] uploading question for HP 9000/3xx users

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (05/20/88)

Does anyone out there do uploads of text files (as contrasted to binaries, like
MacPaint or TIFF pictures) to an HP 9000/3xx machine running HP-UX?  What
programs do you use?  I have tried umodem and kermit (with Red Ryder 9.4) and am not having
much success.  Any help/tips are appreciated.

-Ted

P.S. Downloads are no problem, I just cat the text file and do a "receive Text" on
     the Mac end!  Seriously, this works fine.

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (05/23/88)

in:comp.sys.mac / tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) /writes:

>Does anyone out there do uploads of text files (as contrasted to binaries,
>like MacPaint or TIFF pictures) to an HP 9000/3xx machine running HP-UX?  What
>programs do you use?  I have tried umodem and kermit (with Red Ryder 9.4) and
>am not having much success.  Any help/tips are appreciated.

Well, I use NCSA Telnet on the Mac II here at work (uses ethernet) or when
at home I use Reflection for the Mac as my terminal emulator. It supports
Xmodem, kermit, and reflection (native?) mode transfers. Mostly tho, I just
up/download via FTP with NCSA Telnet.

>-Ted
-David

johnr@hpislx.HP.COM (John Repko) (05/24/88)

I have had the same problem,  but come to some solution by going into insert
mode in vi and then sending text via Red Ryder 9.4.  This solution is good for
small files, as I get lots of extra tabs that have to be removed on the HP-UX
end.

Let me second the question -- What gives with kermit/umodem?

John Repko
.. .. .. !hpisla!johnr