[comp.sys.mac] X-Windows on the Mac

marcus@wdl1.UUCP (Marcus Louie) (05/18/88)

I am trying to gather information on X-windows implementations that are
either available or are being worked on for the Macintosh.  Does anyone
out there know of any companies that are implementing X-windows running
under A/UX or regular Mac OS?  I would appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus Louie
Ford Aerospace Corporation

marcus@ford-wdl1.ARPA
...sun!wdl1!marcus

magorian@umd5.umd.edu (Dan Magorian) (05/20/88)

In article <4210024@wdl1.UUCP> marcus@wdl1.UUCP (Marcus Louie) writes:

>I am trying to gather information on X-windows implementations that are
>either available or are being worked on for the Macintosh.  Does anyone
>out there know of any companies that are implementing X-windows running
>under A/UX or regular Mac OS?  I would appreciate any information.

White Pine Software (94 Route 101A, PO Box 1108, Amherst NH 03031) has
announced a product called Mercury that is supposed to be an X Window server
for the Mac OS.  It's not out yet even in beta, you can call them for the
brochure. (603) 886-9050 (This isn't an ad, I'm quoting from their brochure -
we hope to beta test it here when it's ready).
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu.UUCP (05/20/88)

In article <4210024@wdl1.UUCP> marcus@wdl1.UUCP (Marcus Louie) writes:

>I am trying to gather information on X-windows implementations that are
>either available or are being worked on for the Macintosh.

Isn't running something like X-Windoes on the Mac a little redundant?  What
applications would there be for it?

(Applications meaning uses not programs)

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90     |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|  _   /|
Software Development     +--------------------------------------+  \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Center|Hello. My $NAME is ~inigo_montoya.    |    ( )  /
Dartmouth College        |You killed my process.  Prepare to vi.|     U

marcus@wdl1.UUCP (Marcus Louie) (05/25/88)

Thanks for all who replied to my question.  Here is a summary of the

Steve Peters of Apple Computer wrote to me saying that he is implementing
XV11R2 for A/UX that is due to be released late this summer.

White Pine Software, Inc. (94 Route 101A, P.O. Box 1108, Amherst, NH 03031,
603-886-9050) is developing an X11 implementation running under MacOS with
a Decnet communications driver.  A beta-version is due out in mid-summer.
Also, there is suppose to be a write-up on this in the April issue of
Macintosh Today (but I haven't been able to get a copy yet).

Finally, someone said that UC Berkeley was working on a X10.4 version
for the Macintosh.  No other information was given.

That's it.  Thanks again.