[comp.sys.mac] Inside {AppleTalk,LaserWriter} where?

msh@otc.oz (Michael Homsey) (05/24/88)

The above two books have been referenced in the 'Inside Macintosh'
and 'Postscript Language Reference' books (published by
Addison-Wesley) But they (A-W) do not know about them.

Can anybody enlighten me about their existence?

(I am really after detail knowledge of the Appletalk network itself...)

--
      Michael Homsey               msh@otc.oz{.au}
      OTC, Systems Development     {uunet,mcvax}!otc.oz.au!msh

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Licensed To Dream) (05/25/88)

In article <379@otc.oz> msh@otc.oz (Michael Homsey) writes:
>The above two books have been referenced in the 'Inside Macintosh'
>and 'Postscript Language Reference' books (published by
>Addison-Wesley) But they (A-W) do not know about them.

Try APDA - Apple Programmers and Developers Association.  They have these
documents.  These documents _do_ exist internally at Apple at least and
I have seen them available thru APDA.

Hope this helps.
--
Byron Han,  Licensed to Dream.             Macintosh - One Small Step For Apple.
Apple Computer, Inc. MS 27Y                ----One Giant Leap for Humankind.----

johnr@runx.ips.oz (John Rotenstein) (05/25/88)

AAPDA has a publication called "LaserWriter Reference Manual" (030-M112)
which has apparently taken the place of "Inside LaserWriter".

It's only in draft form (damn them!) and deals with printing protocols
and the PICT formats understood by postscript printers. It doesn't have
much on AppleTalk itself.

John Rotenstein		  Internet: johnr@runx.ips.oz.au
PO Box 165
Double Bay, NSW 2028.	UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!johnr
AUSTRALIA.
---------

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/26/88)

In article <379@otc.oz> msh@otc.oz (Michael Homsey) writes:
>The above two books have been referenced in the 'Inside Macintosh'
>and 'Postscript Language Reference' books (published by
>Addison-Wesley) But they (A-W) do not know about them.

  Two books one Red, one blue.  Very useful but terse.  Definatly Reference
material.  Addison-Wesley Publishing Company

   ISBN #'s  0-201-10179-3
             0-201-10174-2

>(I am really after detail knowledge of the Appletalk network itself...)

   You should find Inside Appletalk useful.  From APDA.  About $15.00.
Taught me lots, and lots of stuff about AppleTalk.  Used it extensively to
learn about how it all works.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!