[comp.sys.mac] Major problems with StuffIt

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (05/22/88)

Help!  After installing some new software on my hard disk, StuffIt suddenly
stopped working, and I _cannot_ find out who is the culprit.  I think it
is StuffIt ...

I'm running System 4.2 with MultiFinder on a Mac II with CDC Wren III, and
plenty of INITs, SuitCase, and similar goodies.  Also Tops.  However, I've
systematically removed every one of these, and although the crashes change
in type, they still occur.

Usually StuffIt crashes just when it tries to start stuffing a file.  The
window with the bar charts has just appeared, but no 'filling in ' of the
bar has occured yet.  Often the Mac will hang, with no ID errors or further
action.

The only sense I got out of my experimenting was this: after I had removed
practically every INIT, turned off AppleTalk etc etc I noticed the following:
immediately after running StuffIt in MultiFinder (with MPW open as well),
a Shutdown on my Mac would crash while MPW was trying to Quit.  The crash
consistently occured because the low memory global $316 was trashed.  TMON
calls $316 MPWPtr ...

StuffIt only crashes under MultiFinder - wiout MF all is OK, but with it
I cannot run StuffIt anymore :(

Anybody any ideas?  StuffIt 1.5?

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                      Leiden University
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                       University of Amsterdam
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet                         The Netherlands

dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (05/24/88)

StuffIt is a data compression archiver/dearchiver that is used to compress
multiple files into a single archive file. It is used primarily for two
reasons:

1) It logically organizes a set of files into a single archive that can be
uploaded to a BBS or shared with other Mac users.

2) It compresses the data and resource forks (sometimes as much as 50% !!)
reducing the total amount of data that need be uploaded/downloaded from a
BBS. Fewer bytes to transfer mean fewer $$$ when downloading .sit files.

Unfortunately, although the advantages of StuffIt are extensive, it has the
chief disadvantage of making files unusable for those who don't have Stuffit
to decompress the archives.

Dave Waller
Technical Computer Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA
(408) 746-5324
[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) (05/25/88)

In article <440013@hpdstma.HP.COM> dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:

*Unfortunately, although the advantages of StuffIt are extensive, it has the
*chief disadvantage of making files unusable for those who don't have Stuffit
*to decompress the archives.

This is also true of Packit, the old standard, and for that matter BinHex.
Stuffit is available on all the major services -- I got my copy of 1.40a
from GEnie -- and I seem to remember one version being on sumex, though I
don't remember which one.  For that matter, anybody who can get the net
can ask somebody to send them a copy, or ask a friend with posting priv-
ileges to do so.  So the (perfectly valid) disadvantage of availability
is not really a practical objection to its use.

I like 1.40a's new "you-don't-have-to-edit-the-non-BinHex-text" feature
a lot, but if you do any chopping you have to leave a dummy line before
the first line of info, or you get a -39 disk error, as other people have
reported.  Not serious, but I hope it gets fixed, since it detracts from
the elegance of an otherwise ultra-spiffy utility.

					James

domain: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
  path: rochester!ur-tut!syap             "Piano is my forte"  (-:
 GEnie: FITZWILLIAM

jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) (05/25/88)

In article <440013@hpdstma.HP.COM> dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:
[...]
<Unfortunately, although the advantages of StuffIt are extensive, it has the
<chief disadvantage of making files unusable for those who don't have Stuffit
<to decompress the archives.
<
<Dave Waller
<[ucbvax!]hplabs!hpdstma!dave

Well this problem is actually being taken care of.  I recently saw
some stuff on GEnie called AutoUnStuffIt (or something close to that)
which turns your stuffit archive into an application that automatically
unpacks itself (adding about 15K to the size of the file).  I haven't
used it and I haven't actually seen it used, but this would take care
of your objection.
--
Jim Clausing  -- "Is it time for a colorful metaphor?"
CIS Department

hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (05/26/88)

In article <440013@hpdstma.HP.COM> dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) writes:

>Unfortunately, although the advantages of StuffIt are extensive, it has the
>chief disadvantage of making files unusable for those who don't have Stuffit
>to decompress the archives.

Yes, but any application you use to compress/encode files for
uploading (even BinHex and Packit) suffer this "drawback".  It is not
a drawback, it is something that potential net or archive users must
endure.  In fact, Stuffit is better to have since it does Binhex and
Packit as well as its own format.  (Granted, there is a slight problem
with Ray's UnBinHex code, but I'm sure he's well aware of it and
working on it.)

Hopefully as StuffIt becomes more popular (as it appears it is), it
will become as widely available as BinHex and PackIt are.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
|  "The past is just a fiction created to explain the discrepancy between     |
|   my current state and my senses' perceptions."			      |
|                  			- The Ruler of the Universe           |
|					 "The Restaurant at the End 	      |
|					      of the Universe"		      |