[comp.sys.mac] Mac to UNIX connection

Tom_Fleming@circle.UUCP (Tom Fleming) (05/14/88)

   I am looking for the Columbia

University appletalk drivers for the mac

for UNIX.

         Tom Fleming

--
Tom Fleming - via FidoNet node 1:121/1
UUCP: ...uwvax!geowhiz!circle!Tom_Fleming

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (05/27/88)

In article <8.228BC6B6@circle.UUCP> Tom_Fleming@circle.UUCP (Tom Fleming) writes:
>   I am looking for the Columbia
>
>University appletalk drivers for the mac
>
>for UNIX.
>
>         Tom Fleming

If I were you, I would wait a week or so.  Version 5 of the Columbia AppleTalk
Package (CAP) is just about to finish beta testing and be released.

I would imagine that when it is released, it will be available from <info-mac>
at sumex-aim.stanford.edu by anonymous ftp (as version 4 is).  I would
guess you would be able to get it from one of Columbia's machines as well.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (05/27/88)

In article <10336@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>If I were you, I would wait a week or so.  Version 5 of the Columbia AppleTalk
>Package (CAP) is just about to finish beta testing and be released.
>
>Edward Moy

It seems that many people are interested in placing their Macs on existing
ethernets.  Could someone who has done this please post a summary of what is
neccesary, and what can be accomplished.

In particular, I am interested in printing from a Mac II with an EtherPort II card
to LaserWriters attached to VAXen.  Could someone comment on the relative merits of
CAP, K-SPOOL and any ALISA packages that do this.

Also, which packages allow you to use networked computers as file servers?

I have seen the CAP distribution files, but it is not clear to me whether it will
perform the above functions, and if so, which of the included utilities are needed.

Thanks,
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu