[comp.sys.mac] New LAYO

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/19/88)

   Well, I'm playing with layout, changing the Finder font to Camelot, when
 I notice there isn't enough of a gap between the bottom of the icon and
the top of the text. Layout wont let you set this, so I go into Resedit to
change it by hand. SURPRISE, there's some new bits/fields. For instance,
there's now, sort style, color style, and max # of windows. What gives?
   What do the new fields do?

Pierce WEtter

P.S. I really need to know this, especially color style as all of my icons have
changed to solid black.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (05/22/88)

In article <6591@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>change it by hand. SURPRISE, there's some new bits/fields. For instance,
>there's now, sort style, color style, and max # of windows. What gives?
>   What do the new fields do?
>Pierce WEtter
>
>P.S. I really need to know this, especially color style as all of my icons have
>changed to solid black.

     I played around with ResEdit 1.2d1 which shows you the extra bits in
the LAYO resource of the Finder. I found that there is a new bit which is
labelled 'Title Click'. It is set to 0 by default. If you set it to 1, then
you can double click in the title bar of any FINDER window and the folder
directly above it in the disk hierarchy will be opened and brought to the
front. If that folder is already open, its window will be brought to the
front.
   The Max # of windows evidently allows you to up the maximum number of
windows the finder will allow you to have open at once. (seems obvious)
    As far as Color Style, I haven't played much with that but did find
that setting it to 1 (default is zero) made all the folders and icons black.
    The extra bits are labelled:
Use Phys Icon
Title Click
Copy Inherit
New Fold Inherit

Ideas as to the rest of these?

David Gelphman
Adobe Systems, Inc.

alan@Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (05/23/88)

In fiddling around, I discovered that the "Use Phys Icon" bit makes the
icon for the floppies on SEs be a picture of an SE with an arrow pointing
to the drive floppy is mounted in.

I haven't tried asking the folks who wrote the code.  (Perhaps someone in
Apple would do so and post the results?)  Consequently, I am not an
authority to be trusted.  This information is NOT coming from Apple
Computer, it's coming from ME.  (Is that enough disclaimer?)

alan

--
Alan Mimms			My opinions are generally
Communications Products Group	pretty worthless, but

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/23/88)

>   The Max # of windows evidently allows you to up the maximum number of
>windows the finder will allow you to have open at once. (seems obvious)
   Except its probably # of winows * X where X is some number. Probably, the
   # here is the number of calls to MoreMasters at startup.
>    As far as Color Style, I haven't played much with that but did find
>that setting it to 1 (default is zero) made all the folders and icons black.
   Actually, what that does is 0: color black the color from color menu
                               !0 or 1: color white the color from color menu>    The extra bits are labelled:
>Use Phys Icon
     Use the left floppy, right floppy, upper floppy, lower floppy icons when
    displaying the disk icon from floppies.
>Title Click
   Doulbe click= cd ..
>Copy Inherit
    ?????
>New Fold Inherit
    ?????
   Pierce WEtter
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/23/88)

<6591@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>

   Sort style: Probably something to do with the new Finder.
   Color style:  What colors or patterns? (On a Mac II)
   Max # of windows:  Could it be a multifinder thing?

msurlich@faui44.UUCP (Matthias Urlichs ) (05/27/88)

In article <3932@adobe.COM> gelphman@adobe.UUCP (David Gelphman) writes:
>     The extra bits are labelled:
> Copy Inherit
> New Fold Inherit
>
> Ideas as to the rest of these?

Well, if you create a new folder it gets a default style (also described
in the LAYO resource). These bits probably tell the Finder to use the
size/displayMethod of the parent folder instead.
Ditto for copying (folder staying the same vs. looking like its parent).

Disclaimer: System 6.0 didn't yet make it to Germany so all of the above
may not necessarily be correct, or indeed mean anything.
--
Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180