[comp.sys.mac] OnCue/MFMenu+ Problems

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (05/22/88)

I've read some notes about the OnCue INIT, and it sounds very useful, but I am
having problems with the demo version and I fear that OnCue itself may not be
compatible with my System as I currently run it.

When I set up the demo (MFMenu+ v. 1.3) from the Finder, adding applications
to MFMenu+, I find that I can choose them from the Finder and they are
launched just fine.  So far so good.

However, from any other application, choosing an installed application to
launch from MFMenu brings up a dialogue box saying something like, "I can't
find xyz.  If you'll find it this time, I'll promise to remember where it is,
OK?"  I click on OK and next comes a standard file box from which to choose
the application.

However, the application that I am trying to launch has its name rendered in
garbage characters in the MFMenu+ dialogue box, and  when I try to find the
application using the file selection box, it does not appear where it should.
I.e., the application name is not listed in the Folder where it actually
resides (nor does it appear anywhere else).

There also seem to be a few other problems with MF Menu+ too...

I assume these are not universal problems with MFMenu+, nor with OnCue, or
they would not be getting the rave reviews that they are getting.  So, the
question is what is the problem between my System and MFMenu+?  Do I have an
old demo version?  (I can't find a newer one on GEnie.)  Is there a conflict
between MFMenu+ and one of my INITs?  (I tried removing several INITs and
still had the same problems.)

Are there known incompatibilities with MFMenu/OnCue and other INITs/cdevs/etc?
Do the OnCue docs address this?

I can understand how OnCue could be very useful, but not if it behaves as the
MFMenu+ demo does in my System.  Please, someone help!  (E-mail reply OK.)

JM

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (05/24/88)

Regarding your MFMenu+ v1.3 problem....  I bet you're using Findswell.?.?.
They don't like each other.  IMI can give you a FEdit patch that will fix
the problem (at least it did the trick for me).

Sorry, but I can't remember what it was that I was supposed to patch, but
the fixed version is available on my BBS, MacScience at (408) 247-8307
(1200/2400).

Ray Terry

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (05/24/88)

In article <6150021@hpcupt1.HP.COM> rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

>Regarding your MFMenu+ v1.3 problem....  I bet you're using Findswell.?.?.
>They don't like each other.  IMI can give you a FEdit patch that will fix
>the problem (at least it did the trick for me).

	That's why you want to use HFS Navigator. :-)

OK, I'm biased, but HFS Navigator is still the neatest little utility out
there...

>Ray Terry

		-Rich

Rich Siegel
Quality Assurance Technician
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (05/24/88)

In article <6150021@hpcupt1.HP.COM> rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

>Regarding your MFMenu+ v1.3 problem....  I bet you're using Findswell.?.?.
>They don't like each other.  IMI can give you a FEdit patch that will fix
>the problem (at least it did the trick for me).

>Sorry, but I can't remember what it was that I was supposed to patch, but
>the fixed version is available on my BBS, MacScience at (408) 247-8307
>(1200/2400).

You are quite right, I do have the FindsWell INIT in my System Folder.  I
would have never thought that this was the problem since FindsWell is a
pretty popular utility and I'd expect the folks writing the OnCue demo
(MFMenu+) would have caught a conflict with it.

Anyway, thanks a heap for the info.  I'll try removing FindsWell and
reinstalling a fresh version of MFMenu+.  If no luck with that, I'll try the
patched MFMenu.

Jim

--

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (05/26/88)

> 	That's why you want to use HFS Navigator. :-)
> OK, I'm biased, but HFS Navigator is still the neatest little utility out
> there...
>
> Rich Siegel

I've heard people netting about this product frequently and praising
it highly. What exactly is HFS navigator and who sells it? If it's useful,
I want it...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) (05/28/88)

In article <1092@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:

>I've heard people netting about this product frequently and praising
>it highly. What exactly is HFS navigator and who sells it? If it's useful,
>I want it...

HFS Navigator is a wonderful utility which patches the SFGetfile routine,
adding significant functionality to "open file" dialog boxes in all programs.
Picture one of these open file boxes. You know how the top of the current
file list has a popup menu containing the parent folders of the current folder?
Well, with HFS Nav, instead of this menu, you get a menu containing a list
of folders you commonly visit. It is easy to add or remove folders from this
list. If you hold down the option key as you bring up the menu, you get the
old functionality. Further, if you hold down the command key, you get a
menu of commands, including Find File, and New Folder.

Very, very useful, and not expensive. Get it.

Disclaimer: I'm just an enthusiastic fan.

Ken Cooper

ARPA:			cooper%cs@ucsd.edu
UUCP:			...!ucsd!sdcsvax!cooper
COMPUSERVE:		71571,407