[comp.sys.mac] question about disk compaction

brando@linus.UUCP (Thomas J. Brando) (05/20/88)

Two questions:  (1) will compacting my hard disk do me any good, and
(2) how can I do it?

(1) The 20MB hard disk in my SE has been fairly full for a number of
	 months, lots of stuff has been trashed, and lots of other stuff
	 has been added.  I'm noticing that applications seem to run
	 more slowly [Not that they were fast to begin with :-)], and I
	 naturally attributed that to disk fragmentation.  My brother had
	 a similar experience with his AT, got a program that compacted
	 his disk space, and realized a very noticeable speedup.  Am I
	 off course here, or what?  People that I've asked about this
	 problem have said they weren't sure that compacting my disk
	 would do me any good.

(2) Given that it would be of benefit for me to compact my disk,
	 WHAT PROGRAMS CAN I GET TO DO THAT?  Let's assume I don't want
	 to backup my hard disk to floppies and then restore.  I know
	 that'll work, and I might not mind doing that ONCE, but I'd
	 like a solution that could develop into a more long-term
	 relationship.  I've looked through quite a few MacWorlds, I
	 found an article on file management, and another on backup
	 software, but no mention of disk compaction, or whether any
	 of the programs that were mentioned did disk compaction.  Can
	 anyone give me a pointer here?

I'll be more than happy to summarize whatever I learn for those of
you with similar problems.  Thanks.

--

Thom Brando              linus!brando@mitre-bedford.{arpa,bitnet,csnet}
617-271-3947               {decvax,ihnp4,philabs,...}!linus!brando.uucp

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (05/21/88)

It's not the act of compacting your disk that gives you the speed up.  It's the
act of *unfragmenting* your disk.  When your Mac writes files to disk, it
puts things in the first place it finds room.  If there isn't enough room
to store a file contiguously (sp?) on the disk, then it writes sections of
it all over.  The reason fragmented programs run slower is that the disk
drive has to seek all over the place for pieces of the program.  A disk
defragmenter tries to make all your applications contiguous again.  I use
Disk Express on my SE HD20 once every week or so.  The speedup is noticeable,
but not outstanding.  The Mac boots quicker, and programs start up quicker.
BTW, Disk Express isn't share/freeware.  I got it for $30.00 from MacConnection.

-Ted

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (05/23/88)

Thomas J. Brando writes...
|Two questions:  (1) will compacting my hard disk do me any good,

The answer is maybe.  One of the nice things about the Mac is that it
is much smarter about allocating disk space on large volumes then is
MS DOS.  The algorithm the Mac uses leads to less fragementation and
hence less performance loss.  Only with very large files (such as System)
will there ususally be fragmentation (unless disk space is very tight)

|and (2) how can I do it?

There are two commerical utilities (with something as important as my disk
I would never use a shareware/public domain utility) that I know of,
DiskExpress by AlSoft ($34 from ComputerWare) and PowerOP V1.3 by PowerUP
(sp?) (no price listed but same range).  PowerOp offers a slightly better
user interface in that it tells you what files are fragmented and allows
you to exclude some of them, whereas DiskExpress will do your whole disk only.
PowerOp is also by far the faster of the two.  However PowerOp had serious
problems rearranging some of the larger files on my disk, so I can't
really recommend it.  DiskExpress had no such problems with the same disk.
Both offer erase free space (either 1 pass for speed or 3 passes for
complete security) and a low-level disk scan to check the disk.  Neither
offered significant performance improvments after running either on my
disk.  Your milage may differ.

DiskExpress also compresses all the files towards sector 0 sorted with
either applications followed by documents or vice versus, whereas PowerOp
just moves fragmented files

The feature neither has and what I think will speed things up for any
hard disk user to the ability to move the commonly used things to the
beginning of the disk (i.e. directory followed by common files followed
by free  space followed by rarly used files).  Anyone want to write one?

|Thom Brando              linus!brando@mitre-bedford.{arpa,bitnet,csnet}

Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com
..!sun!cup.portal.com!jwhitnell

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (05/23/88)

In article <32435@linus.UUCP> brando@linus.UUCP (Thomas J. Brando) writes:
>Two questions:  (1) will compacting my hard disk do me any good, and
>(2) how can I do it?
>
>(1) The 20MB hard disk in my SE has been fairly full for a number of
>	 months, lots of stuff has been trashed, and lots of other stuff
>	 has been added.  I'm noticing that applications seem to run
>	 more slowly [Not that they were fast to begin with :-)], and I
>	 naturally attributed that to disk fragmentation.  My brother had
>	 a similar experience with his AT, got a program that compacted
>	 his disk space, and realized a very noticeable speedup.  Am I
>	 off course here, or what?  People that I've asked about this
>	 problem have said they weren't sure that compacting my disk
>	 would do me any good.

Yes, it is about time you compact your disk.

I use DiskExpress from ALSoft. It verifies the health of your disk, and
then de-fragments all your files. It also has the option to move all
system and application files to the front, in an attempt to reduce future
fragmentation. That seems to work pretty well.

BTW: The whole process requires about 2 hours on a 20MB disk. A full
backup is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED before beginning, since any interruption of
the process will leave your disk unreadable.

DiskExpress is available through MacConnection for $26. Call today, you'll
have it tomorrow.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in either ALSoft or MacConnection.
I only wish I did :-)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own. But they seem to be
shared by most people.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (05/24/88)

One minor correction to my previous article.  PowerOP (name
changed from PowerUP) is published by the Software Power Company,
not PowerUp as I said.

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) (05/25/88)

In article <2303@spray.CalComp.COM> anson@spray.UUCP (Ed Anson) writes:

[...lots of good comments on Alsoft's optimizer program Disk Express...]

*BTW: The whole process requires about 2 hours on a 20MB disk. A full
*backup is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED before beginning, since any interruption of
*the process will leave your disk unreadable.

[...]

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are my own. But they seem to be
*shared by most people.

Ditto completely on all counts; just wanted to confirm in case you needed
a second opinion.  I know that my applications load faster.  Improvement
in startup time is hard for me to say, since I also just got Font/DA
Juggler (love it!), which is a 100K+ INIT.
						James

domain: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
  path: rochester!ur-tut!syap             "Piano is my forte"  (-:
 GEnie: FITZWILLIAM

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (05/26/88)

    The effect is doing compaction using disk express is definitely measurable.
On my 20 MB NON-SCSI HD-20 on a Mac+, the time to start the Finder the
first time (before it might get into cache) went down by a measurable amount,
although not too drammatically (I forget the exact number).

    The time to check the HD-20 when rebooting the Mac after a "surprise"
power-off went down by about 66% (from 1.5 min to 30 sec), if I
recall correctly.

    Gregory Dudek

--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Reasonable mailers:  dudek@ai.toronto.edu

ecs165s052@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/28/88)

In article <2303@spray.CalComp.COM> anson@spray.UUCP (Ed Anson) writes:
>In article <32435@linus.UUCP> brando@linus.UUCP (Thomas J. Brando) writes:
>>     [... question about DiskExpress ...]

>Yes, it is about time you compact your disk.
>
>BTW: The whole process requires about 2 hours on a 20MB disk. A full
>backup is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED before beginning, since any interruption of
>the process will leave your disk unreadable.

I agree with the good comments about DiskExpress, but 2 hours to complete?
I run DiskExpress on a 40MB drive and it takes no longer than 40 minutes.  The
trick may be that I use this program every week.  The longer you wait, the more
fragmented the disk becomes and the more work the poor program has to go
through.

-----
Greg DeMichillie      lgdemichillie@deneb.ucdavis.edu
                      ecs165s052@deneb.ucdavis.edu
                      {ucbvax, lll-crg, sdcsvax}!ucdavis!lgdemichillie
                      AppleLink:  ST0178