[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Screen Problems

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (05/21/88)

I am having a very wierd problem with my Mac II screen.  When I boot up,
my custom startup screen (colored speres) has a mass of flickering
pixels across the lower half of the (SONY CPD1302) screen.  When I am
using my WP and term program, I can see that the pixels are still flickering,
and they are sometimes dim.  This happens most, but not all of the time.
I suspect that some of my video RAM on my card (Apple standard,
expanded) may have died or something.

Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, what do I do about it?  I
think the video card is still under warranty (the whole Mac II is).

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) (05/23/88)

In article <9901@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
> I am having a very wierd problem with my Mac II screen.  When I boot up,
> my custom startup screen (colored speres) has a mass of flickering
> pixels across the lower half of the (SONY CPD1302) screen.  When I am
> using my WP and term program, I can see that the pixels are still flickering,
> and they are sometimes dim.  This happens most, but not all of the time.
> I suspect that some of my video RAM on my card (Apple standard,
> expanded) may have died or something.

Ah.  Some more info.  I see that the wierd animations go away when I set the
Mac II to just 2 colors (actually, up to 16 colors or grey scales works fine).
This would seem to indicate to me, totally untrined HW tyro, that my expanded
video memory has gone astray.  Any suggestions on repairs?  Could they just be
loose?  Should I perhaps try to resocket them?  (I don't like opening up the II
unless there is real need.)

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it a common thing?  What might have
caused it?

Any help is most appreciated.
Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/28/88)

I don
  I don't know if anyone has replied, but you are probably right.  The
video RAM is probably dead.
  I had the video RAM in my Mac II installed upside-down, and the
symptoms you descriped (except worse!) appeared on my screen... I
puzzled over the chips for awhile before I saw what happened.