[comp.sys.mac] How to quit MF?

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/24/88)

In article <7767@apple.Apple.Com> goldman@apple.UUCP (Phil Goldman) writes:
|In article <1316@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
|>back PrintMonitor. I finally hit the debug button and got the finder
|>back by SM 0 A9F4, G 0. But the system was in an unstable state...As
|
|One more note:  There is nothing in MultiFinder that prevents the Finder from
|quitting, there is simply no way for the user to convince the Finder to do so.

|-Phil Goldman
|Apple Computer

There is no way to quit the Finder.  That's alright, it's nice having the
Finder around all the time.  What I want to know is:

	Why is it that you can't quit Multifinder?  It would be so nice being
	able to do that instead of rebooting.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271

ps01@bunny.UUCP (Paul Suh) (03/25/88)

In article <2156@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
>There is no way to quit the Finder.  That's alright, it's nice having the
>Finder around all the time.  What I want to know is:
>
>	Why is it that you can't quit Multifinder?  It would be so nice being
>	able to do that instead of rebooting.
>--
>Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu

I assume that you mean "I want to go from MultiFinder to normal Finder"
in your question.  The answer is easy.  In your system folder, there are
two files, Finder and MultiFinder.  To go from one to the other, hold
down the command and option keys on the keyboard and double click on the
one you want.  (e.g. if you're in MF and want to go to Finder, double
click on the Finder icon.)

					--Paul

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (03/25/88)

In article <5767@bunny.UUCP> ps01@bunny.UUCP (Paul Suh) writes:
|In article <2156@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
||There is no way to quit the Finder.  That's alright, it's nice having the
||Finder around all the time.  What I want to know is:
||	Why is it that you can't quit Multifinder?  It would be so nice being
||	able to do that instead of rebooting.
|
|I assume that you mean "I want to go from MultiFinder to normal Finder"
|in your question.  The answer is easy.  In your system folder, there are
|two files, Finder and MultiFinder.  [...]
|(e.g. if you're in MF and want to go to Finder, double click on the Finder

Oh really?  And under which Finder/System/Multifinder release can you do
this?

Seriously, though, this going from Multifinder to [Uni]Finder business
ought be straightened out.  Rebooting in order to drop from MF to F is a
big kludge [Servant, though buggy, can do "Shut Up" from Servant to Finder].

BTW, before MF was released there was a rumor that Andy was going to do a
non multitasking version of Servant. I.e., a servant which would run as a
Finder substitute under Multifinder.  Has anyone heard more about this?

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699   Address: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853   |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (03/26/88)

In article <2156@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
>There is no way to quit the Finder.  That's alright, it's nice having the
>Finder around all the time.  What I want to know is:
>
>	Why is it that you can't quit Multifinder?  It would be so nice being
>	able to do that instead of rebooting.

Well, there are basically 2 reasons to quit MF, as far as I can figure.
(1)  To run apps incompatible w/ MF
(2)  To run apps so large that they can't run just by themselves under MF.

Category 2 is a pretty small one.  There are only a handful of apps that must
have 670K to run (I know, now everyone in the world will mention MacFoo, which
needs exactly 700K to run, so that it won't run w/MF, but will still work on
a Plus anyway).  Anyway, if it were possible to quit the Finder, then we're
talking about a **very** narrow band of memory requirements for an app that
could run standalone on a a MacPlus, but not under MF.  So, this leaves
category 1.

If such a feature was added to MF, it would take away all, or at least most,
incentive for the developers of the incompatible app to rev their product in
order to make it MF-friendly.  Of course, it would be totally unreasonable to
not allow users to run the program at all anymore, thus the compromise of
forcing a reboot.  The reboot should not take that much longer than quitting
an app in the single-app world, unless you have 8000 INITs installed.

This was our thinking.  Was it unreasonable?  System software (including MF)
is released every 6 months so it is always possible to add/change features.
Are there other reasons for allowing MF to quit that I omitted?

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (03/26/88)

In article <4156@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) types:
>BTW, before MF was released there was a rumor that Andy was going to do a
>non multitasking version of Servant. I.e., a servant which would run as a
>Finder substitute under Multifinder.  Has anyone heard more about this?

Yes, this is MiniServant, and it has been around at least since the Boston
MacWorld Expo. I receieved a copy of it on a disk of HyperCard stacks Apple
passed out at the Users Group breakfast there. I don't believe it is really
"finished" however, and I doubt that Andy Hertzfeld ever wants to touch
the Servant project again.

>Christopher Chow

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu /
/ Delphi: HAMMEN	GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104		  /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/26/88)

In article <7785@apple.Apple.Com> goldman@apple.UUCP (Phil Goldman) writes:
>This was our thinking.  Was it unreasonable?  System software (including MF)
>is released every 6 months so it is always possible to add/change features.
>Are there other reasons for allowing MF to quit that I omitted?
>
>-Phil Goldman
>Apple Computer

How about in cases of applications(like Copy2Mac or Disk Express) that don't
always work like they are supposed to because "there are files that are open
or busy on this disk" since the finder will try to read any disk you insert
before your disk utility gets a chance to get its hands on it.

Or if you try to change the Finder(menus, icons...) with ResEdit, with MF, you
can't.

I think that if its not too hard, then maybe you should put in the option to
quit.  I know a lot of people who would love to be able to quit MF, add or
delete fonts, or DA's without having to reboot.  You're right Phil, it shouldn't
be that big a deal to reboot, but I, like many other people, sometimes can't do
that(like when I have my harddisk published via TOPS and there are others using
my volume).  But the emphasis is on "if its not too hard"(meaning: as long as it
doesn't make the MultiFinder file much bigger).
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1271
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544		(609) 734-7760
****** Anyone need a soon-to-graduate hardware/software engineer? ********

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (03/27/88)

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) writes about reasons one might want to quit
from MultiFinder back to the Finder, and concludes with:

> This was our thinking.  Was it unreasonable?  System software
> (including MF) is released every 6 months so it is always possible to
> add/change features. Are there other reasons for allowing MF to quit
> that I omitted?

Phil,

For me, on a "mere" 1 meg Mac Plus, due to memory constraints, for the few
times that I do use MultiFinder, I usually want to return to the Finder during
the same work session.  Given some bugginess of the programs that I use, this
is the best way for me to work.  Thus, a MF --> F exit would be useful to me,
and I presume others with memory limitations.

This situation is similar to your reason #2, in one sense, but different
enough that I wanted to comment...

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (03/28/88)

Phil Goldman writes:
>(2)  To run apps so large that they can't run just by themselves under MF.
>
>Category 2 is a pretty small one.  There are only a handful of apps that must
>have 670K to run (I know, now everyone in the world will mention MacFoo, which
>needs exactly 700K to run, so that it won't run w/MF, but will still work on
>a Plus anyway).

Unfortunately, at least one program that fits in this category is Apple's
very own HyperCard!  Some of us find this little thing useful (or necessary).
I am *ALWAYS* switching between MF and non-MF for this very reason on
my (1M--more on order) SE.

In fact, I imagine there are a LOT of people out there with exactly this
problem, entirely brought on by Apple.  (Not that I'm complaining [much];
both MF and HC are really wonderful--I just wish they could be used together.)
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (03/29/88)

Some time ago, Phil Goldman asked..

Are there other reasons for allowing MF to quit that I omitted?

Well.....  yes and no.  It would be nice to be able to Shutdown and Restart
w/o having to load in the regular Finder under MF.  Currently...I quit
from whatever shell I'm using (w/the Shutdown command), leaving one application
running.  I quit from that, getting the can't load Finder msg.  I click
restart and flip the pwr switch before it restarts.  Not the most
elegant way to shutdown, but faster than jumping into the Finder.

-Ray

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (03/31/88)

Another reason for wanting to quit multifinder is to do back-ups. I'd hate to
back-up an open file, and then try to restore goodness knows what state the
file was in.

Richard_Vernon_Ford@cup.portal.com (05/15/88)

Has anyone come up with a good solution to the following problem.

You're using tops and have a client on one of your published volumes..
for whatever reason you need to switch from multifinder to finder.

Is there a way to do this without restarting the machine and causing
the TOPS clients to have to reconnect...and risk loosing their work?

-Richard

richard_vernon_ford@cup.portal.com
{sun,ucbvax}!cup.portal.com!richard_vernon_ford

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/16/88)

In article <5441@cup.portal.com> Richard_Vernon_Ford@cup.portal.com writes:
>You're using tops and have a client on one of your published volumes..
>for whatever reason you need to switch from multifinder to finder.

  Open the System Folder, find the MultiFinder Icon and double click on it
while holding down the Option-Command keys.  You can launch anyfile in this
manner, I'm not saying it will work {launching MF this way works fine} but
clicking on the ImageWriter won't show some new and weird application to you.

  Now for some Macintosh LEGEND {notice LEGEND in BIG letters}.  The
designers of the Mac put this option here to allow them to launch software that
they knew would run, apparently the Lisa Pascal Workshop didn't always do
a good job of informing the finder that the file is an application, so they
put this option there to allow them to by-pass the finder's safty net of not
letter users do anything BAD.  In this way they could lanuch what the finder
would've normally considered a document rather than an application.

David M. O'Rourke

| dorourke@polyslo | Disclaimer:  All opinions in this message are mine, but  |
|                  |              if you like them they can be yours too.     |
|                  |              Besides I'm just a student so what do I     |
|                  |              know!                                       |
|    When you have to place a disclaimer in your mail you know it's a sign    |
| that there are TOO many Lawyer's.                                           |

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/16/88)

In article <2604@polyslo.UUCP> dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes:
  A load of bull.

   I'm sorry I answered the wrong question.  I thought the question was going
from the finder to MF.  It's not!  He wants to know how to go from MF to Finder
Well I don't know, and I'm sorry I pretended to have an answer in the previous
posting.

   My apologies to netland.  I will try and read the messages closer next time.

mnkonar@srcsip.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) (05/16/88)

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) writes

>Open the System Folder, find the MultiFinder Icon and double click on it
>while holding down the Option-Command keys.  You can launch anyfile in
>this
manner...

Setting the type field of MultiFinder to 'APPL' allows you to launch it
WITHOUT holding down the option and command keys.  Doesn't help you quit
however.

blh@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu (Bruce Horn) (05/17/88)

The reason I put command-option launch into the Finder was not because of
the Lisa Pascal Workshop, but because when I was testing newer versions of
the Finder I didn't want to have to keep changing the type and creator of
the Finder file itself.  That was before we had support for downloading to
the Mac from the Lisa with type and creator specified, if I remember
correctly.--
Bruce Horn, Carnegie Mellon CSD
uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!cmu-cs-vlsi!blh
ARPA: blh@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (05/18/88)

How come none of you came up with this old trick: change the multifinder
type to APPL, and then you can just use it as an application. Hence you
don't need to dig into your system folder etc. Any minfinder or equivalent
can launch it. IT WORKS!!!
You can use, say, DiskTop to change the TYPE.

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5688.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-292-4975.secy

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/19/88)

In article <1696@pt.cs.cmu.edu> blh@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu (Bruce Horn) writes:
>The reason I put command-option launch into the Finder was not because of
 ect.....

  Somehow having the person who wrote the program answer the question lends
an aura of authority to the posting, but I'm not quite sure why!

  Thankyou very much for you posting, having you answer the question directly
is VERY nice.  I hope I didn't offend you with my second-hand story.

steele@Apple.COM (Oliver Steele) (05/28/88)

mnkonar@ely.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>Setting the type field of MultiFinder to 'APPL' allows you to launch it
>WITHOUT holding down the option and command keys.  Doesn't help you quit
>however.

A lagniappe: if you do this you can create a QuicKey to launch MF.  I
run in SingleFinder and press control-M to switch.

 Oliver Steele						steele@apple.com
 Apple ATG