[comp.sys.mac] Sounds, snd 's, and more snd 's...

ltt2p@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Lucien T. Thompson) (05/19/88)

    If this has been belabored before, sorry.  I can't keep up with the volume
on all the mac groups (not a flame, a wonderment...).

    I have several related problems.  If someone can e-mail me answers, I'll
summarize and post to this group (if there is any interest in the replies).

    1.  I have a large collection of "sound" files (type FSSD, creator FSSC).
They are playable by SuperPlay (creator JRSP) and similar applications.  Many
sound files in public domain games, etc. also seem to be in this format.  What
is the creator of these files (SoundWave?  SoundCap?  ????)  What is the binary
format of these files (they have no resource fork, only a data fork)?

    2.  I have tried in vain all of the locally available sound conversion
programs, none of which will convert them to Hypercard (snd 2?) resource files.
The applications I've tried include:  Sound > Beep (MMCC), Sound > SND (HL@@),
Sound > SND (REZ2), SoundMover, Sound Manager, etc.  I've also tried various
incarnations of the SoundCapMover stack (from Apple?), dating back to the
WildCard days, with no luck.  Am I doing something wrong?  Some install a
properly named resource in my chosen targets, but none play with the:

	Play "name_of_sound"

command from HyperCard.  The only clue I have is that SoundCap to 'SND'
(version 1.0beta5) tells me it can't open a "compressed" file yet.  Are
these compressed SoundCap files?  What do I try next?

	3.  What's the format of the 2 snd resources, anyway?  How do they differ?

    That about does it.  If anyone has or knows of any public domain/shareware
applications/stacks/etc. that can convert these sounds to snd resources, I'd
sure appreciate receiving and/or hearing about same.  Thanks in advance.

Tres Thompson                                                ltt2p@virginia.edu
UVa Neuroscience:  Making computers think like brains acting like computers....

dave@hpdstma.HP.COM (Dave Waller) (05/20/88)

Well, I know how you can do it, but it's gonna cost you about $160 bucks...
If you purchase MacRecorder (which, by the way, is worth about twice it's
price!!), you'll be able to open those sound files and save then as 'snd'
resources in your Hypercard stacks. I have yet to find a sound format that
MacRecorder can't read, and believe me, the HW/SW are ALOT o fun. In my
opinion it is the best SW investment I have made!

Dave Waller
Technical Conputer Group
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Pacific Technology Park
Sunnyvale, CA

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/23/88)

  The "compressed" sounds are compressed with either Farallon Computings
or Impulse/MacNifty's own compression routines, and are not readable by
anything but the Farallon HyperCard stack and application or the programs
SoundCap and SoundWave (and I believe SoundPlay).

  I haven't found even one public domain or shareware stack which will
convert a compressed file (although I do convert them with my own copy of
SoundCap and my digitizer).  If anyone has the code to these compressed
and uncompressed files I'd love to see them, considering I've written to
the MacNifty people a few times about either getting the code or purchasing
any part of their public domain code, and have gotten no answers.

  Has anyone bought the new "SoundWave" package from Impulse?  I hear that
they are including the code to modify the sounds and play them with the
digitizer.  Any volunteers to mail or post them?

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (05/23/88)

Tres Thompson writes:

 >     2.  I have tried in vain all of the locally available sound conversion
 > programs, none of which will convert them to Hypercard (snd 2?) resource
 > files.

Try ResCopy, a very nice XCMD (HyperCard external command) by Steve Maller.
It comes in the ResCopier 4.0 stack (with the Beanie) and lets you move
around sound resources, icons, external commands and functions.  Maybe even
other stuff.  It's public domain and you should be able to find it at yo
nearest user group or bulletin board.

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                  University of Leiden
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                   University of Amsterdam
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet                     The Netherlands

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (05/25/88)

In article <255@uvabick.UUCP> thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) writes:
>Tres Thompson writes:
>
> >     2.  I have tried in vain all of the locally available sound conversion
> > programs, none of which will convert them to Hypercard (snd 2?) resource
> > files.

I had an interesting problem in hypercard  very similar infact...
at one of the campus labs a sound rolodex was left on one of the hard disks
Being curious I tries to move some sounds over...
when I name the sound "I'll be back" I couldn't play the sound
when I named it "down sound" (I got it from shutdown sound) NO GO
But when I named It "Arnold" No Problem..

Question: Does this mean that sounds can only be one word.... or am I
   Just being psychotic???

Ben Herman                      Crazy after all these years??

Internet: her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@sphinx.uchicago.bitnet
UUCP:    {ihnp4!gargoyle,oddjob}!sphinx!her3

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/29/88)

<302@kaon.uchicago.edu>

  No such problem of one word.  If you are playing a sound in HyperCard,
you simply use the command:
   PLAY HARPSICHORD    (for example)
  On the other hand, if you have a snd more than one word long, you must
surround that name with quotes:
   PLAY "This is a long sound"