[comp.sys.mac] HELP! URGENT!

emanuel@cernvax.UUCP (emanuel) (05/26/88)

Hi, net.mac'ers,

I've a BIIIG problem, but may be nothing for you.

Here's what I did:

I switched on the MAC (a SE, double drive), then inserted a disk, and started
to play around with windows, menus, icons, copies, etc.
(I must inform you that I'm a complete beginner in Mac world).

Eventually, I came to throwing to the trash can the disk (you know, like one
copies a complete disk into another simply by moving it into the other.

Now, it began to write something on the disk, then 5 seconds after, the disk
became unreadable!!!

I've tried to insert it several times, to look in the garbage can (which was
empty), all useless. In a simple, stupid joke the disk with 792K worth of
valuable data was trash! Can you believe it?

Now, as I'm a zero in Mac terms, is there a way in that Mac's general value
can be restored? You see, I know how to proceed if that had happened in
ANOTHER computer...

I.e. Is there a way to recover the WHOLE disk? I'm afraid to use Initialize
for obvious reasons... Is the Mac that unsafe?

What confuses me more is that it SHOULDN'T have happened! See Manual, page
166 (chapter 4): "The Trash is a receptacle for discarding documents and
folders. You can't discard disks this way. Instead, dragging a disk to the
Trash ejects the disk and removes its icon from the desktop."

Is this a specific "feature" of my SE?

I'd apreciate a little help, if you can...

Thanks A LOT,

Emanuel Machado
--
Emanuel T.M. Machado, CERN     | "Science is true.   | UUCP:
   _                        _  |   Don't be misled   |  emanuel@cernvax.UUCP

walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) (05/30/88)

In article <697@cernvax.UUCP> emanuel@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>Eventually, I came to throwing to the trash can the disk ...
>Now, it began to write something on the disk, then 5 seconds after, the disk
>became unreadable!!!

Sounds like the disk failed while the Mac was updating the directory,
prior to ejecting the disk.  Use only high quality double-sided disks.
>I.e. Is there a way to recover the WHOLE disk? I'm afraid to use Initialize
>for obvious reasons... Is the Mac that unsafe?
Probably MacTools from Central Point Software, or something like that,
can recover your data, assuming that some or all of the directory is gone.
All computers are that unsafe; never trust them :-)
I said it, not them.
E-Mail route: ...!pyramid!garth!walter		(415) 852-2384
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, California 94303

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/30/88)

  I think you probably trashed the files, and then trashed the disk--when the
disk is ejected, all that is in the trash is erased.

  Try a disk recovery program, there are several... MacTools, Fedit Plus,
etc.

  If that doesn't work, you might have to find someone else with the same
data. (Backups of vital data are a must!)