[comp.sys.mac] Unreadable disk

fang@dukempd.UUCP (Fang Zhong) (05/29/88)

    One of my disks suddenly could not be read anymore. Whenever I put it into
an internal disk drive, I got the sign which was the same as that the disk had
not been initialized. I tried 'Disk First Aid', it did not help. Can someone
point out other methods to recover the files on this 'dead' disk?
    Thanks in advance.

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (05/31/88)

In article <678@dukempd.UUCP> fang@dukempd.UUCP (Fang Zhong) writes:
>    One of my disks suddenly could not be read anymore. Whenever I put it into
>an internal disk drive, I got the sign which was the same as that the disk had
>not been initialized. I tried 'Disk First Aid', it did not help. Can someone
>point out other methods to recover the files on this 'dead' disk?
>    Thanks in advance.

  Recovering disks is tricky business, so this might not work, but it's worth
a try.  This will only work if Disk First Aid had problems reading the disk.
If Disk First Aid was able to read the disk, and it still didn't do anything
give into your longing to take a disk apart, because there is nothing there.

  First "Sector Copy" the bad disk with Copy II Mac onto a good disk.  Now that
you have a copy, copy tracks 0 & 1 from a "KNOWN TO BE GOOD DISK" onto the copy
of the bad disk.  Now try Disk First Aid.

  There are other methods, but I think anyone will tell you, it's a little
bit of luck, little bit of knowledge {i.e. recognizing a condition you've seen
before}, little bit of knowing how disks work, lots of time and patientence.

  Hope this helps.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!